The Original Suspect

Frustrated with Jenson...ugh! Minor rant!

A bit irritated with Jenson right now! I ordered drivetrain (rear der, shifters, chain, cassette) upgrades on Jan 1...I know, I know it was a holiday...I selected 2nd day air as my shipping option thinking I would get them by today (Jan 4).

I contacted Jenson via their live chat option on Jan 2 and spoke with Joey. I wanted to make sure all items were in stock and that it would indeed ship that day. Joey insured me that yes, my order would ship Jan 2. The reason this being important is because I am flying out of Colorado to Arizona on Monday the Jan 7 and of course am taking my bike and wanted to have the weekend to complete the instal of said upgrades. Had Joey expressed a concern that the items would not reach me by Friday I would have opted to pay the additional price for Sat delivery. Instead, items did not ship until yesterday (Jan 3) and are now scheduled for delivery by end of day Monday (Jan 7).

I thought, Ok I will have the package re-routed to a UPS store in Arizona and pick it up when I arrive. Not ideal but doable. No good. My order was shipped in two different packages from different parts of the US (MN and CA). Now I will just wait and hope they arrive before I take off to the airport on Monday. If not then I will have them shipped overnight.

I really wanted to have everything dialed in before leaving so I could spend my time actually riding. Now I will need to pack the necessary tools (minus repair stand) to complete the instal in Az. and spend couple of hours doing it.

In Jenson's defense, for the most part I have had nothing put positive experiences when shopping with them. I probably could have avoided the whole problem had I ordered earlier. It was my hesitation in pulling the trigger.

Thanks for letting me rant. My girlfriend doesn't quite get it, but I am sure you guys do.

No Stranger to danger....
    Sorry to hear that, but hitman, you did leave it pretty late, we all know you cant count on delivery times, having it sent on the 2nd expecting it to get there on the 4th was cutting a very fine line, i really dont think this is jensons fault or even worth writing a thread about it.
    But i feel your pain, sorry it hasnt worked out for you.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

The Original Suspect
    I know...I did cut it close. It will all work out in the end. I just needed to vent a little. Jenson does a great job. I think it would have worked out had everything been in the same location. The guy I talked to my not have known that...giving the benefit of the doubt.

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think they weren't shipping anything on 2nd. I put an order in for two tools on morning of Jan 2nd and did not ship until yesterday evening (did not needed it that quickly though).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Joey screwed up, and shame on
    Jenson.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    first world problems?

mtbr member
    ^^^ ahahahahahahah
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If its a big trip with big rides , I think you would want a couple of rides on the parts before going. It may be a blessing in disguise if your current setup is rideable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    first world problems?
    Well, if you live in the first world you tend to have first world problems.
    But it would be somewhat funny to have first world problems living in the third world.
    Come to think about it, I am not sure where the second world is or if there is even one.

EDR
    Ya, might be a blessing. You know how it would have gone....

Parts arrive Friday afternoon. You spend all night drinking beer, installing drivetrain, tuning it in the stand, drinking beer... .you even perform a drunk test ride in the street. Saturday you wash you bike and get ready to pack everything up.

Next week in AZ you hit the trail and spend all day adjusting your rear der. and fixing the broken chain that dropped off the cassette and broke two spokes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

Parts arrive Friday afternoon. You spend all night drinking beer, installing drivetrain, tuning it in the stand, drinking beer... .you even perform a drunk test ride in the street. Saturday you wash you bike and get ready to pack everything up.

Next week in AZ you hit the trail and spend all day adjusting your rear der. and fixing the broken chain that dropped off the cassette and broke two spokes.
    Last part should read:

"Next week in AZ you hit the trail and spend all day adjusting your rear der. and fixing the broken chain that dropped off the cassette and broke two spokes while drinking beer."

The Original Suspect
    Problem sort of solved. Went to local UPS office and told them what the problem is. They said I could come to the office Monday morning and pick up both packages early like 7:30. I don't have to leave for the airport until noon, so I'll have time to put parts on but not dial in. When I arrive in Phoenix I can do the dial in. Ride on Tuesday and make minor adjustments throughout the week before race on Saturday.

Worst case scenario...my current set up is perfectly fine and rideable. I just want the new toys, you know how it is.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

Normally this is exactly what would have taken place, but I am abstaining from beer (hard to do) until next week after the race.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Support your local shop!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer650 View Post
    Support your local shop!
    Not really relative to the OP's post, but it's a lot easier said than done unless you're wallet is packed and you never look at your bank account...or just don't care.

I had a new frame built up (warranty situation so I 'let' the shop build it back up to throw them a bone for handling the issue...I easily and most importantly would have preferred to do it myself), but anyhow I needed a new x.9 rear der. Shop quoted me $110...I gasped then they offered one for $100. I politely declined, went home, and ordered one from PricePoint for $69. But all this is really OT.

The Original Suspect
    Support your local shop!
    Actually, I do!

Bike, shoes, other clothing, tires, tools, repairs I can't handle, general good conversation...etc!

I see nothing wrong though with searching out and finding good deals. It's my money and I don't feel that I am required to pay a higher price just to support local. I live in the Ft. Collins/Loveland Colorado area. Do you know just how many local bike shops there are here? There are some competitive prices for sure, but 10 or 15% off retail doesn't get my cash.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Its still relative. You can't expect to mail order stuff last second and rely on shipping then complain about it when it barely makes it in time. I hear your point in the x.9 how dare the shop that helps you get a warranty make a living. Bunch of thieves should be ashamed of them selves. $110 who do they think they are? Actually who does SRAM think they are charging so much for an x.9! You know they only cost fifty cents to make!

The Original Suspect
    Its still relative. You can't expect to mail order stuff last second and rely on shipping then complain about it when it barely makes it in time.
    I say as much in my initial post. It was a last minute decision. I chose a shipping method that would get my purchase to me on time. I would have gladly paid extra had I been told the shipment would not make it.

I am glad that you don't need to shop for best price and always use your local merchants. You stand as an example we should all live by. But until I attain your level financial independence and moral fortitude, I will continue to shop for the best price and value for my money.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Funny how the bike shop charges too much but you will gladly pay extra for shipping! barter with your shop most are willing to keep your business

The Original Suspect
    This isn't the first time this issue has been discussed and it won't be the last. You bring nothing new to the argument and it's pointless to continue to go round and round. You are not going to change my mind or somehow make me feel bad for not buying local. I have a great relationship with several local shops and like I said, I do purchase from them.

Yes, gladly pay a bit more for shipping. Here's why: Full retail for the four items I purchased was roughly $435 including sales tax. What I paid including shipping was $275. Now, even with a modest 15% discount off of retail from a LBS I would still have saved over a $100.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This entire thread is pointless. You are not allowed to complain when your getting great deals! Shipping a day late after a holiday was in the sales policy you forgot to read the fine print

The Original Suspect
    This entire thread is pointless. You are not allowed to complain when your getting great deals! Shipping a day late after a holiday was in the sales policy you forgot to read the fine print
    At what point did THEY put you in charge? I can complain about anything I want. You don't have to read it.

Funny how I got a private message here on this board from JensonUSA with an apology.

You are making this a bigger deal than need be. I admitted my culpability.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I can comment on anything I want. You don't have to read it!

Funny How I got a Message from JensonUSA saying that Your wrong and they are right! If any body is making a big deal about anything It's YOU! For crying about this in the first place. I clicked the thread hoping to read about a legitimate customer service issue. I hope they stuck a pacifier in the box!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I know I have always had issues with trying to piece things together at the last second before I am going to take a trip with a bike. Now you throw the holiday season in the mix, then order on a holiday.....man, you are just asking for heartbreak.

The Original Suspect
    A huge shout out to my local UPS office for allowing me to pick up will call at 7 am instead of normal 12:30pm. I have the parts and am on my way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frustrated with Jenson...ugh! Minor rant!-img_0001.jpg