mtbr member
    May 2009

FRS Healthy Energy?

Has anyone else tried this stuff? I read about it in MBA last year, but forgot until I saw it in Rite-Aid. I bought one of the premixed cans and drank it on my way to the trail yesterday afternoon.

I was very skeptical and felt no different at all for the first 30-45 minutes. I finally forgot I drank it and just enjoyed the ride. I looked at my odometer and realized I had ridden well past the point where I normally got tired. I ended up riding farther and in a much shorter time period than I have ever ridden before. When I made it back to my truck, I felt like I could have ridden even further, but was afraid I would crash (not literally, from the drink rather) and was out of water as well. I felt great last night and my legs never felt tired like normally after a long ride.

I bought some more at GNC today and hope it was not just a one-time thing. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and if you found something similar? The MBA review seemed to indicate similar results. Most of the bad things I have read about it were in regards to signing people up for automatic delivery without them realizing it. I did not read anything bad about the drink itself.

mtbr member
    I got some at Whole Foods. Its nasty I won't be getting any more.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Get your nutrition from food, not chemicals.

Enroll in a nutrition class at your local community college. Then you will understand why you can improve your performance just as much, or more, with everyday foods from the supermarket.

The supplement industry makes big bucks selling their products to the uneducated.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54
    Get your nutrition from food, not chemicals.

Enroll in a nutrition class at your local community college. Then you will understand why you can improve your performance just as much, or more, with everyday foods from the supermarket.

The supplement industry makes big bucks selling their products to the uneducated.
    I agree, and just understand how to eat for exercise. It's not that hard, but there are things you have to do. Suppluments, energy drinks, and so on, it's all crap and mostly stuff you don't need or is not even good for you.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

livin' the dream......
    What about companies like Hammer Nutrition that claim all natural ingredients, etc? I tried a can of FRS a few months ago and could not finish it.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yep, tried a can that was handed to me once, took a big slug cause I was really thirsty (and it was wet and cold), nasty!

Chunky, chalky, bitter,

That said, Sport Legs have been great, and are much easier to deal with, being in capsule form. If you want to try a supplement based on science, and simple nutrition, these are worth checking out. Fully legal for all competition, no zippy feeling, just legs that don't feel tired, and don't seem to cramp up as much or at all, during, or after....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    What about companies like Hammer Nutrition that claim all natural ingredients, etc?
    "all natural ingredients" et al are marketing terms with no legal or regulatory meaning. Arsenic and cyanide are also natural ingredients, as is crude oil.

The most organically grown, eco-friendly (another useless term) vegetable can still be processed, pulverized, cooked, and chemically transformed into a food additive. That does not make it any more effective or healthier than a food supplement made in a Chinese factory. Stick with real foods as close to the original condition as possible.

If man made it you should not eat it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I agree, and just understand how to eat for exercise. It's not that hard, but there are things you have to do. Suppluments, energy drinks, and so on, it's all crap and mostly stuff you don't need or is not even good for you.
    Yup. Sleep is just as important.

I used to be a competetive bodybuilder and powerlifter, and I tried every snake oil product in the world. None of it does anything nutrition can't do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    FRS contains natural ingredients found in apples and onions called quercetin. Look it up. Nothing bad about the stuff. Don't let anybody scare you about FRS. I am a personal trainer and recommend only FRS for natural energy.
    Now Redline is a totally different story. That is just plain evil !!
    Just remember when you read the ingredient labels the amount stuff in the drink or food is listed in what is contained most to least in it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobeast
    FRS contains natural ingredients found in apples and onions called quercetin. Look it up. Nothing bad about the stuff. Don't let anybody scare you about FRS. I am a personal trainer and recommend only FRS for natural energy.
    Now Redline is a totally different story. That is just plain evil !!
    Just remember when you read the ingredient labels the amount stuff in the drink or food is listed in what is contained most to least in it.
    I too am a personal trainer, and I am wondering what is wrong with the apples and onions. An apple is what like 20 cents, and a bottle of frs is how much? Placebo effect is a powerful thing. I'm gonna start bottling my sweat and sell it as altitude enhanced bio fuel, after all, Its got electrolytes and it is manufactured at 7000 feet for extreme altitude enhancement. The supplement is probably safe, but that doesn't mean it needs to be used. As is I am sure the guy is getting all his nutritional needs met from food. Tell me fellow trainer, what will happen to the vitamins and minerals his body doesn't use? Lets just exclude the fat soluble ones.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    ... An apple is what like 20 cents, and a bottle of frs is how much? Placebo effect is a powerful thing...
    LOL!!! Let him be. If he wants to pay big $$$ for a manufactured supplement all the more power to him. I own stock in several companies that market supplements. Many of the supplement companies are subsidiaries of big pharma. This is why the ads and marketing methods look so similar to drug ads. They have some of the best marketing psychologists in the business and they know what works.

The multibillion dollar nutrition supplement industry loves to tout their products. The ads say "Proven xxx% improvement with our product*." Then read the footnote in the microprint at the bottom of the page next to the asterisk (they have to mention it, but the regs do not say what size font they must use). The footnote will say something like "compared to no supplement at all." What they do not say (because it is embarassing) is the supplements do not work any better or improve perfromance any better than good nutrition with ordinary off-the-shelf foods. The peer reviewed and published studies exist. Studies not only in the U.S., but Australia, Great Britain, South Africa, Brazil, and Sweden -- researchers in those countries have conducted independent studies all verifying food is just as good if not better. The Australian study is particularly interesting, the placebo group did best.

So go ahead and spend your money on the fancy pills and potions. They do work, but you can gain the same benefit (or more) a lot cheaper from your supermarket.

i think it tastes awesome. i'd drink it like orange juice if it didn't cost so much.

didn't notice any energy/power output differences when i was using the free trial can they sent me. (and i made 100% sure to call and have them take me off their automatic list thing)

mtbr member
    Maybe some of y'all can start a New Thread all about "what to eat" that'll help out us unhealthy newbies? I think everyone of us has a much different lifestyle than the next guy. And it's not just our careers / jobs / family responsibilities / meetings / school / f***ing traffic / how often we do the family groceries / on and on,..... All these things can get in the way of a healtly lifestyle. Sometimes I don't get to eat anything for more than 8 hours! Thats just the nature of my line of work.

But maybe with some thoughtful input from those that have found what works for them, we can piece together something that would benefit anyone. Cuz I for one don't want to spend anymore money on all those expensive pills. And yes I know I could find alot of what Im looking for on the net somewhere,..but you guys are REAL, and will throw in concise answers and not just a bunch of blahblahblah.

...just a thought, cuz Im tired of seeing my unhealthy self everyday. And becuz of work,..I cant ride as much as I want to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dadstoy
    Maybe some of y'all can start a New Thread all about "what to eat" that'll help out us unhealthy newbies? I think everyone of us has a much different lifestyle than the next guy. And it's not just our careers / jobs / family responsibilities / meetings / school / f***ing traffic / how often we do the family groceries / on and on,..... All these things can get in the way of a healtly lifestyle. Sometimes I don't get to eat anything for more than 8 hours! Thats just the nature of my line of work.

But maybe with some thoughtful input from those that have found what works for them, we can piece together something that would benefit anyone. Cuz I for one don't want to spend anymore money on all those expensive pills. And yes I know I could find alot of what Im looking for on the net somewhere,..but you guys are REAL, and will throw in concise answers and not just a bunch of blahblahblah.

...just a thought, cuz Im tired of seeing my unhealthy self everyday. And becuz of work,..I cant ride as much as I want to.
    Here's my advice, 5 small meals a day. Include a veggie of some kind in each meal and a fruit every three or so. Don't eat to get full, eat to fuel. What works for me?
    3 egg omlette with asparagus in the am or a bowl of cereal when I have no time, with a yogurt. An apple with a granola bar mid morning and a small milk. Turkey and swiss with lettuce and mustard sandwich on whole wheat bread, some grapes for lunch. Another yogurt and another piece of fruit in the mid afternoon. Dinner of choice, I like shrimp scampi with angel hair pasta and steamed broccoli and some fruit for dessert. It is not easy, but it can be done. Vary your diet based on the seasons of foods and you will have a very balanced eating regimen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

I am not pushing FRS and I do think it is expensive

But, if I am going to choose between FRS and some of that horse pizz such as Rock Star, Monster, etc. Then I would go for FRS due to better ingredients.
    Best bet, drink plenty of water and keep the carbs going during the trail time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobeast
    But, if I am going to choose between FRS and some of that horse pizz such as Rock Star, Monster, etc. Then I would go for FRS due to better ingredients.
    Best bet, drink plenty of water and keep the carbs going during the trail time.
    I'm glad I don't have to choose between those.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54
    "all natural ingredients" et al are marketing terms with no legal or regulatory meaning. Arsenic and cyanide are also natural ingredients, as is crude oil.
    But Limbaugh told me oil was natural.

livin' the dream......
    I too am a personal trainer, and I am wondering what is wrong with the apples and onions. An apple is what like 20 cents, and a bottle of frs is how much? Placebo effect is a powerful thing. I'm gonna start bottling my sweat and sell it as altitude enhanced bio fuel, after all, Its got electrolytes and it is manufactured at 7000 feet for extreme altitude enhancement. The supplement is probably safe, but that doesn't mean it needs to be used. As is I am sure the guy is getting all his nutritional needs met from food. Tell me fellow trainer, what will happen to the vitamins and minerals his body doesn't use? Lets just exclude the fat soluble ones.
    Excellent point about placebo effect. What about "recovery" products with high levels of glutamine. How do I get that from regular food. I do feel less/no soreness the day after a hard work out when I use some type of recovery product (Hammer Recoverite).

Is it actually the glutamine making me not sore?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    Excellent point about placebo effect. What about "recovery" products with high levels of glutamine. How do I get that from regular food. I do feel less/no soreness the day after a hard work out when I use some type of recovery product (Hammer Recoverite).

Is it actually the glutamine making me not sore?
    Each cell has a specific amount of amino acids within it that is called its amino acid pool. (AA are the building blocks of protein, which one glutamine). This pool cannot be increased, only replenished. So taking extra AA's does not increase your body's availability of them. Your supp. is effective because you likely drink it after a hard ride. How often do you have a fresh sandwich waiting for you at the finish line? And it is likely you take said supp. with water so you stayed hydrated. How often do you drink lots of fluid after a ride, thats not beer? The best way to get all your amino acids is to eat a balanced meal with some kind of meat in it. If a vego. eat a meal with a wide variety of different foods so you get AA's correctly. The supp. is likely just hydrating you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just ordered my free sample of FRS. Really one to get the free steel water bottle. I'll probably give the rest of it away when I get it.

livin' the dream......
    Each cell has a specific amount of amino acids within it that is called its amino acid pool. (AA are the building blocks of protein, which one glutamine). This pool cannot be increased, only replenished. So taking extra AA's does not increase your body's availability of them. Your supp. is effective because you likely drink it after a hard ride. How often do you have a fresh sandwich waiting for you at the finish line? And it is likely you take said supp. with water so you stayed hydrated. How often do you drink lots of fluid after a ride, thats not beer? The best way to get all your amino acids is to eat a balanced meal with some kind of meat in it. If a vego. eat a meal with a wide variety of different foods so you get AA's correctly. The supp. is likely just hydrating you.

Good info. How did you know I drink beer after I ride?! Actually, I am good about fluid intake post ride that does not come from a brown bottle. I am going to try a "no supplement" ride tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks!