Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New question here. Front Dereil Problem

LBS mechanic recently built my 05' Specialized Hardrock Comp. Everything seems perfectly installed after testing it the front derail doesnt seems shifting precisely, when I shift it from biggest chainring to the 2nd it does not shift it and when i click it one more down it shift from the biggest ring to the lowest one skipping the middle one. Also when i shift it from smallest chaingring it shift 1st and 2nd perfectly but sometimes going to the 3rd (biggest ring) the chain came loose and comes off. Another problem is when i have the front on the biggest chainring then shift it to the biggest ring rear cogs everything get stuck and it wont move it. It looks like the jockey wheel is hitting the biggest ring on the rear cog and thats how it get stuck. I already took this bike to the shop and they did some adjustment but it still does the same thing and it got a little worst after just one ride. What could be possibly wrong ? can it be the parts or just the tuning ? Please help me !!! any help, info, suggestion, opinion is much appreciate. Thanks !

Drivetrain info:
    3x9 speed.
    raceface x type crank.
    Sram x7 front derail
    Sram x9 rear derail long cage
    Sram chain
    Sram x9 shifter 3x9 w/ stock cables

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Wow, feeling a little stunned after that.
    Front derailleur cable needs adjusting, front derailleur limit screws need adjusting and probably the chain is too short - but could just be the B-screw needs adjusting.

mtbr member
    If you search front deraileur adjustment on parktools website you'll find a great write up and video. I was a deraileur noob but after watching the video about 10 times I eventually got it right. A stand or something rigged to get your wheels off the ground while adjusting is a great help. Good luck.

Edit: Linky Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Front Derailleur Adjustments

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was searching for something like this....

I haven't upgraded my bike since 1995, and now have a new 29 Kona Kahuna. With the ten speed cassette, I am not sure you can get the adjustment done as well as on older 8 speed gear. Maybe I'm wrong and plain rusty.

I spent a good deal of time - btw did pretty much what the Park site says - I guess I haven't forgotten everything - but ultimately accepted some trade offs. I would think that the middle chainring would not rub on the chain in any gear, but I guess the cage may be just too narrow (SRAM X5) to allow enough clearance.

Am I correct, or is it back on the stand to tweak some more! I know the old bit about large/large, small/small, so I don't worry 'bout that. Thanks all for any tips!

mtbr member
    Double check that the derailleur is perfectly parallel to the chainrings. If you can't find a sweet spot where it clears every gear in the middle ring, the derailleur may be twisted slightly out of alignment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks I will look at the alignment. I will be surprised if it is off. I didn't notice when I was working on it, and I was looking to make sure everything was in line. I'll give it another look today. Frankly I do hope it is off a little, i'm a bit finicky about things like this. My old Kona was spot on with the derailleurs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    mine seems to be just fine now after putting miles on em and abusing them... it so happened that everything was new and all the parts needs to be break in.. and also i dont use the biggest chainring anymore to the biggest cog so it wont get stuck, it always get stuck because of the chains being too crossed/twisted...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Could be a loose bottom bracket, but no reason to start by reinventing the wheel. Check your derailleur's adjustment first.

mtbr member
    Ditch it, throw a 32t and BBG Bashwich on the front and go 1x9. You won't miss it. I f*cking hate front derailleurs. (Rant over).

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ecko121979 View Post
    mine seems to be just fine now after putting miles on em and abusing them... it so happened that everything was new and all the parts needs to be break in.. and also i dont use the biggest chainring anymore to the biggest cog so it wont get stuck, it always get stuck because of the chains being too crossed/twisted...
    Could be a chainline issue. I like Race Face cranksets because there's a red washer on the drive side (under the black washer) so you can adjust the chainline a little bit.

1. Remove the red washer (replace that black washer after you remove the red one) and move it to the non-drive side (again install the red washer under the left side black washer) to bring your chainline further inboard.

2. Re-adjust the front derailleur's H and L limits per the front derailleur's install manual (any Shimano install instruction manual works) and then you should be good to tweak the middle chainring position using the barrel adjuster on the shifter.

-S

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    it all works fine by far... But i have another question now. Since i dont use the biggest ring on my crankset can i just replace it with bashguard and go 2x9 speed ? would i have any shifting issue in front since my shifter is designed for 3x9 ? or it will just not shift to the biggest chainring since nothing is gonna be there ? in short i just wanna ditch the biggest ring 44t, which bashguard do i need and what would be explanation here shifting wise. Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by ecko121979; 12-06-2012 at 11:05 AM.

banned
    Sep 2012
    it all works fine by far... But i have another question now. Since i dont use the biggest ring on my crankset can i just replace it with bashguard and go 2x9 speed ? would i have any shifting issue in front since my shifter is designed for 3x9 ? or it will just not shift to the biggest chainring since nothing is gonna be there ? in short i just wanna ditch the biggest ring 44t, which bashguard do i need and what would be explanation here shifting wise. Thanks in advance...
    You will need to adjust the travel limit adjuster so that the derailleur will not move beyond the big ring. Look for the "H" screw, set the FD to the middle ring, then tighen the "H" screw down and check that you can't move it beyond the middle ring.

Install the bashguard.

Done.

-S

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    You will need to adjust the travel limit adjuster so that the derailleur will not move beyond the big ring. Look for the "H" screw, set the FD to the middle ring, then tighen the "H" screw down and check that you can't move it beyond the middle ring.

Install the bashguard.

Done.

-S
    I did'nt know it could be that easy... i hope! lol its always easy said than done. but anyways what size of bash do i need ? my crank is 44/32/22T do they all have same 4 holes are they all standard size, and im looking at bbg bashguards any other out there that is around the same price ?

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I did'nt know it could be that easy... i hope! lol its always easy said than done. but anyways what size of bash do i need ? my crank is 44/32/22T do they all have same 4 holes are they all standard size, and im looking at bbg bashguards any other out there that is around the same price ?
    Check the measurements but its a fairly safe bet that you are running a standard size. Not familiar with the bbg but a lot of options in a 34t size that won't break the bank. $30 should be enough. For regular trail riding I'd look at 5mm aluminum options. Race face makes a good one. Very durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

banned
    Sep 2012
    You'll need to determine the BCD of the chainring mounting holes before you proceed.

Here's a good way to measure it:
    Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Crank/Chainring Bolt Circle Diameter Crib Sheet

Once you determine the BCD, all you need is to go find the bashguard with the same BCD, bolt it on and there you go.

-S

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks a lot guys been very helpful and knowledgable... so after few searching heres what i found: Confirmed my BCD size is 104.

MY crank spec

Spec with BCD size

banned
    Sep 2012
    Thanks a lot guys been very helpful and knowledgable... so after few searching heres what i found: Confirmed my BCD size is 104.

MY crank spec

Spec with BCD size
    Most newer race face rings have a 104mm BCD. I'd look for a Race Face bashguard and it'll bolt right on.

Race Face Lightweight Bash Guard > Components > Drivetrain > Bashguards | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

-S

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    this one attracts my eyes BBG Bash 104/34t
    or maybe the blue one...

banned
    Sep 2012
    this one attracts my eyes BBG Bash 104/34t
    or maybe the blue one...
    Doesn't appeal to me...then again I have wierd taste. maybe I should start making my own bashguards.

-S