mtbr member
    Jan 2013

friend's bike....mystery full suspension frame; ID?

pic from the owner; known as WestCoastAl on another forum I am a member of..

Below is his message to me on another forum;
    I've had this aluminum framed mountain bike for years. Got it used, but it came with some really good components.
    But I have no idea who made it.
    Are there any books or website or forums where a guy can find stuff like that out.
    Serial # starts with d16c.
    its either AL or Ti; since he lives on the coast; he has seen corroded AL; and says this frame doesn't corrode like the AL stuff he has seen over there; but it could be due to a clear anodizing on it.....or it could be Ti...

the geometry is really odd though... wondering if you guys would know?

Mtn Biker Machinist
    It's most certainly not Ti, and the guard over the rear derailleur screams WALMART! Not sure what "really good" components it came with, but I would not pay anything for it, especially not shipping, probably weighs a ton.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    ooof. that is ugly.

get on ebay and check out the ti bikes on it. You'll see what ti looks like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    another of his messages to me; I do see the difference between Al and Ti; tho the pic is not really as clear as should be...I do not have the bike in my possession nor do I have more details other than the pic of the headset saying "ALCHEMY" on the top;
    parts of it reminds me of Specialized; other parts of it reminds me of other brands....
    at first I was under the same impression; a BSO from a Box Store in the 90s; I'll need to PM him and have him fire off a bunch of names from the components themselves; he also says he has a Monty Trials bike
    No not sure, just assumed it was. It came all shiny and other than a bath once in a while it doesn't seem to be corroding like aluminum. I live around 8 miles from the ocean so rust and corrosion are standard here.
    Things light as hell. I put a super low rear gear set on it when I first got it. Scoots right up hills.
    Thanks for looking, I planned on finding a forum or two to look thru. It's bugged me since I got it what brand it is. It had to have cost someone a pretty penny to roll it out of the store.
    I got it for free. A friend of the family owns a storage unit. And let's us look thru the didn't pay their bill, or straight abandoned, so were selling your ****" units. It's amazing what people will walk away from.
    Again thank you for looking for me, I just can't seem to google-fu. Up a thing on it
    EDIT: it also looks like geometry similar to the Murray and Magna series of AL bikes;

mtbr member
    Where is your freind from, if its the Pacific Northwest then it look to me like a Zeigler Lam, which isn't that great of a bike and had some weird geometry
    1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Pacific NW is correct; however, I haven't been able to match pics of Ziegler Lams with this one.....? hmm. I also haven't heard from him about what components are on it;

EDIT: Upon further research for "ziegler lam", I see that NEXT (Wal-mart!) and GT I-Drive series have VERY similar geometry; with the GT being much closer with the triangle being bent where the seat post bar goes....

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

friend's bike....mystery full suspension frame; ID?

I'll move this to general. Maybe more interest there as there's nothing vrc about it. Good luck.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges