mtbr member

Frame to replace Trek Fuel 70?

A reader of mine recently asked the following question:

"I bought a Trek Fuel 70 a little while back and my frame cracked! Apparently it's a pretty common fault with that model. The warranty is void and welding didn't work so i need to find a good frame to upgrade to. The only problem is I have no idea where to start. I know I can do the upgrade myself I'm just really worried about part/frame compatibility since I want to just transfer everything over from the Fuel. Here are the bike specifications mine is the 17.5 inch"

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Joe
    Mountain Bike Diaries - Personal Trail Reviews, Stories, Maps, and More

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The system of the fuel was replaced for a new model remedy, if you see the system itīs similar but doesnīt have the little problem of crack.
    If you are a trek fan can be test a remedy frame. if not, ir ride a specialized epic comp in full suspension are great, now a day ride a sworks HT practicing XC.

maybe stumpjumper or litespeed swona.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The biggest compatibility thing, both in terms of whether it'll work and whether your reader will like it, is going to be finding a frame that takes the fork. I don't remember if the Fuel 70 was a XC or more of a Trail/AM model. IIRC, Treks with some variation of the "Fuel" name have had a variety of different amounts of travel. Anyway, trying to put an 80mm fork and XC rider on an AM frame won't have good results. Neither will a 140mm fork and AM rider on an XC frame.

I've seen good deals on frames on On One's site, bikeman.com, hucknroll.com. Pricepoint has some FS frames, but they're by a brand that doesn't sell anywhere else; I have no idea if they're good or not.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Live 2 Ride
    Wheel World and Cambria have some good frames on sale.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Why was warranty void?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@MBD.com View Post
    A reader of mine recently asked the following question:

"I bought a Trek Fuel 70 a little while back and my frame cracked! Apparently it's a pretty common fault with that model. The warranty is void and welding didn't work so i need to find a good frame to upgrade to.
    Why was warranty void? Trek has a lifetime warranty on the frame.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Now is the BEST time to start demo-ing 29ers. I had a Fuel before and loved it....until it also cracked.

I now have a carbon Trek Superfly 100 29er. The bike climbs and rolls over anything. Point and shoot, epic trail beast...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If the bike in question does have serviceable parts and the fork is still ok to use maybe a HT frame would be the answer. If the fork is 80mm of travel the Remedy would not be the answer....neither a newer Fuel. Most all the newer frames have a tapered head tube which means you need a headset that will accommodate the standard steerer that you have. You have to also consider what type of crank / BB that the old bike has and if it will just bolt up to the new frame.

Option 1 - The bike is dated and may cost more to try to transfer the parts than it is worth.

Option 2 - Find a HT frame that is 26" wheel compatable and transfer the parts. Be prepared to buy a few new parts.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ktj1 View Post
    Why was warranty void? Trek has a lifetime warranty on the frame.

Not original owner? No receipt? Welded /modified the frame?

For awhile Trek had a 5 year warranty on their FS bikes. Not sure how that plays out considering current warranty policy and what the bike may have came with at the time of purchase.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anyone check date when they reply ? This thread is from 2012.........
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Guess not...oh well.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon