Thread: Fox fork lube?

mtbr member

Fox fork lube?

I was told Slick Honey is the best and safest lube to use to keep the fork coated
    & protected?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Judy Butter works too, as do other petroleum distillate greases/lubes. You're really only using enough to keep the wipers and seals lubricated.

mtbr member
    Providing you have your lower leg bath oil volumes correct, Fox forks are "self lubricating."
    You can lube the wiper/dust seals with suspension lube-Slick Honey etc, but the most important thing to do is to make sure that you have the correct amount of bath fluid in the lower legs.
    Suspension fluid is what lubricates and protects the fork-bushings, wipers, seals, stanchions, etc.
    Slick Honey/Judy Butter is primarily used to lubricate new seals when the fork is replaced/serviced.

mtbr member
    Way over my head...I have no knowledge as to the interior workings of the shock so hopefully I could find a diagram/cross section view on line so I have a better understanding.
    I thought it was an air shock, so the mention of oil inside the unit is something I am unaware of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    this stuff pretty trick, like ptfe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Way over my head...I have no knowledge as to the interior workings of the shock so hopefully I could find a diagram/cross section view on line so I have a better understanding.
    I thought it was an air shock, so the mention of oil inside the unit is something I am unaware of.
    Air forks/shocks use a pressurized air chamber(air spring) in place of a metal coil spring.
    The parts inside the fork that slide and move during suspension travel require a lubricant.
    Fox has specific volumes of fluid and recommendations for their different models of forks.

Here's a video:
    Competitive Cyclist shows you how to overhaul your Fox forks and shocks - YouTube

Here's an official Fox service tutorial for a typical Fox fork. They have more instructions on specs on their website.

F100RL/F80RL