mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Forte Carve SPD pedals?

I missed out when Jenson had the M540 for $40..
    I was wondering if the forte carve pedals from performance is good?

It is for my wife who is a beginner, in my experience with other forte products their tension can be set really light, which is good?

If anyone has used this please let me know their durability and ease of use.

LightJunction.com
    The Forte stuff is pretty decent, given the price point. If she's a beginner, I wouldn't hesitate to go with those pedals. Adjustability is key for a beginner. Plus, Performance offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee with their stuff.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have two sets and have no complaints. I'm almost certain they are lighter than the M540s. My oldest pair has over 1000 miles of hard use on them.
    If ya ain't bleedin'...ya ain't ridin'.

mtbr member
    Garbage for hard riding IMHO. I had them and was singing the praises of them but I started pulling out of them and noted that one of them had bent. They work ok but you get what you pay for. Have 540s now, its worth a few more bucks to get the durability of Shimano. Several in my group have the Forte's and also pull out at times. Forte's are certainly lighter than the Shimanos. Agree that for a beginner, may not be bad. Took mine back and no-questions return from Performance which is why I like to shop there.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Update: 2 of my buddies using these have also bent the "prongs" that hold your cleat in and have complained about pulling out. Forget these; spend a few more bucks for proper pedals from Shimano.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT