mtbr member

Fork & Shock Pressures

Just purchased my first FS bike which came with two snap on sag guides.

They set the air pressure in the fork and shock for me at the bike shop when I picked up the bike. I guess I should have asked and recorded the exact pressures but I did not.

Two questions; How do I determine the fork sag ? Must be great than just my weight on the bike.

and: How often should I check the pressure in the fork & shock?

yukonjak
    Apr 2012
    I usually don't worry much about the sag to much. The 15-20 percent is probably a good starting point. I go by the type of riding I'm doing and you can see from a dust ring or mud ring if your using the majority of your travel. You obviously dont want to be bottoming out. If I am going to be on one with a lot of climbing and flowing trails the i'll pump it up a bit to rid the bob.I soften it up for a lot of rocky rooty descending. I check the pressures maybe couple time a month in between adjustments. Mostly trial and error works best, even throw your pump in your pack for a few rides and adjust on the trail.

mtbr member
    That is really a good answer, it's basicially about your riding style and what trails you are riding since they can vary greatly. Like tire pressures, I did learn to go by feel, no gauge needed once you have done this many times.

One question, my bike has 100 mm of travel and I guess that is the front suspension, how would I figure out the travel distance on the rearFox float CTD ? It is a cross county bike with the horizontal shock.

Thanks for your comments!

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Just purchased my first FS bike which came with two snap on sag guides.

They set the air pressure in the fork and shock for me at the bike shop when I picked up the bike. I guess I should have asked and recorded the exact pressures but I did not.

Two questions; How do I determine the fork sag ? Must be great than just my weight on the bike.

and: How often should I check the pressure in the fork & shock?
    I don't ride a lot of suspension, but when I do it has to be "perfect". I check pressure before every ride because pedal wallowing or fork dive under braking is very annoying to me.

[read your manual]
    Your snap-on sag indicators should be slid down all the way to the bottom. Then sit on the bike. I usu. push the sag indicator against the shock seal then get off the bike without compressing the suspension any further. Measure with ruler or eyeball to see that your sag is about 25% of your total travel. More or less as you prefer. I tend to set the front a little higher (less sag) than the back.

-F

PS - travel specs are usu. available with the general bike info (easier than measuring). Or you can let all the air out of the shock and move it around to see the range of motion.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    The bike is said to have 100 mm of travel, does that mean front and back?

mtbr member
    What Make and Model Bike is it? What are the Brand and Models of the Fork and Shock (Fox CTD?)

If they are both newish FOX products and you happen to have an iPhone the Fox ird App is a great starting point.. I found that after toying with my pressures for a few months and thinking it was dialed in, then trying the APP, the settings the APP recommended simply made my bike feel better... I am a bigger rider and most of what I had read and heard from the bike shop was that I was going way too high on pressures...

I ended up HIGHER as per Fox's App - 125lbs 7 Clicks of rebound in the Fork and 296lbs 8 Clicks in the Rear Shock... These were about 10lbs in the Fork and 50lbs in the shock more than I had been told to run.. The bike has never felt better.. As for the dampening I haven't messed with it much.. The bike just felt perfect, stiff when pedaling/climbing, plush when I was descending and in between when I was well in between... and the "O" rings were right at the full travel mark after the first few rides... For reference I am 250ish geared on a SC TallBoy FOX RP23 and Fox 32 120 CTD Fork..