I'm just looking for a cheap starter bike. I'm going to do a lot of road riding with it, but take it on some light trails also. I've narrowed it down to an Airborne Sabre for $249 or a used Forge Sawback 5xx for $200 (talked him down from $350) $250 is my budget for a starter bike, then I can upgrade if needed. I'm leaning toward the Forge because it has slightly better components but the Airborne would be brand new so I'm torn on which to go with. The Forge is about 4-5 years old but was only used minimally on roads, no trails, so it should be in good shape. Here's the setup for both if you are not familiar. I would just like some opinions if there is one that is better than the other. Thx!
Forge Sawback 5xx
- All-aluminum, double-butted lightweight frame with WTB SpeedDisc XC rims, saddle and grips for real quality
- Shimano Deore 27-speed derailleur and Shimano Deore shifters
- AVID BB-5 mechanical disc brakeset for ultimate stopping
- RockShox Dart 1 100mm travel with preload front suspension
- Truvativ ISOflow aluminum triple crankset
- Manufacturer's Suggested Age: 18 Years and Up
- Gear Speeds: 27
- Bicycle Frame Height: 19"
- Bicycle Frame/Component Features: Suspension Fork
- Bicycle Frame Material: Aluminum
- Suspension Type: Front
- Suspension Features: Front Suspension Travel
- Seat Features: Ergonomic
- Brake System: Disc
- Front Brake System: Disc
- Rear Brake System: Disc
- Derailleur Manufacturer/Type: Shimano Deore
- Shifter Manufacturer/Type: Shimano Deore
- Bicycle Chain Material: Aluminum
- Wheel Features: Quick Release Front Wheel
- Rim Material: Metal Alloy
- Front Wheel Height: 26"
- Rear Wheel Height: 26.0 "
- Tire Type: Knobby
- Tire Width: 2.10"
- Includes: Water Bottle Mount
- Maximum Weight Capacity: 250.0 Lb.
- Care and Cleaning: Wipe Clean With a Damp Cloth W
- Dimensions: 110.0 " L x 110.0 " H
- Weight: 30.0 Lb.
- Warranty Description: 1 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty
- Battery: no battery used
- Bike Type: Mountain Bike
Frame 6061 Aluminum Hardtail MTB Fork Suntour XCT with 80mm travel Headset Ahead Sealed Cartridge 1 1/8" Brake Levers Shimano ST-EF51 Brakes Tektro Novela Sport Mechanical Disc Rotors Tektro 160mm Rotor Shifters Shimano Acera ST-EF51 EZ-Fire Plus, 21-Speed F Derailleur Shimano TY10 R Derailleur Shimano Tourney TX-51 Cassette Shimano TZ31, 7-speed, 14-34 Chain Taya 7speed Crank Prowheel MC-A321 Alloy Bottom Bracket Cartridge Type Pedals NONE Rims 32H Alex C1000 alloy rims Hubs KT-SP5F 32H Alloy Spokes Black 14g Stainless Tires KENDA 26 x 2.1" Front/Rear Specific Handlebar 31.8mm Diameter Alu oversized 640mm wide Stem 31.8mm clamp alloy Saddle WTB Speed V Saddle Seat Post 30.0mm dia x 350mm EN-R alloy Extras Owner's Manual, Clear Coat, H20 Bottle Mounts
Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups
Results 1 to 3 of 3