Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Foam grips the best option for bare handed rider?

Any of you guys prefer to ride glove-less?

I been looking for a new pair of grips have narrowed it down between either an ODI Ruffian,
    some sort of Lizard Skin pattern, or possibly an Ergon model although I am not sure how comfortable I'd be going dh with the paddle style, flat grips. Love them on the road though...

What patterns have you bare handed riders had luck with? I am leaning towards the ruffians but maybe I'll put my name on the lock ring of a pair of lizard skins

Your Best Friend
    If you aren't wearing gloves, and it gets wet at all, i.e. sweat, foam grips are horrible. That is my experience with them.

mtbr member
    I think a better question is what kind of dirt is best for landing on without gloves.

Only took a couple spills for me to realize that no discomfort riding was greater than the damage of shredding my hands.

YMMV.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    I think a better question is what kind of dirt is best for landing on without gloves.

Only took a couple spills for me to realize that no discomfort riding was greater than the damage of shredding my hands.

YMMV.

Yes.
    To this point, I will also add the following.

"should I get full finger gloves, or half finger?"
    "well, that depends, do you want to keep the skin on your full finger, or just half your finger when you crash?"

I cannot stand to ride without gloves anymore. I feel "naked" without them. I put them on with my helmet and consider them to be a part of my safety gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt View Post
    Yes.
    To this point, I will also add the following.

"should I get full finger gloves, or half finger?"
    "well, that depends, do you want to keep the skin on your full finger, or just half your finger when you crash?"

I cannot stand to ride without gloves anymore. I feel "naked" without them. I put them on with my helmet and consider them to be a part of my safety gear.
    Been doing it for years and never had a problem.. I think I fear asphalt more than dirt.

Foam grips were more for an attention grabber

Workin for the weekend!
    Gloves make it much easier to go back to work after your overdid it on the trail...

Full fingered padded gloves FTW!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just never been a fan of gloves and I've bought some nice ones.

That's why I am wondering if anyone knows of any "bare-hand" specific tread patterns.

I really liked my Lizard Skin Moab's but they are getting pretty bare and overly smooth; I did find them a little thick though so i might go with something thinner.. Maybe personal preference is the only criteria that matters in this department?

I can't be the only person who prefers gloveless? I know they look super - cool but come on, you'll get a tan line!!

Front Range, Colorado
    I rode dirt bikes (motorcycles) as a kid on up through my early twentys with out gloves. I didn't start wearing gloves until I was in my thirty's and bought a new MX bike and "all" the gear. Then is when I realized how foolish I was in my younger days. As I took up MTBing I bought all the gear with gloves. But I opted for half finger for that more sensitive touch with shifting and brakes. I have full finger for cold day's but rarely ever need them in So Cal. I have had plenty of crashes in 12 years of riding and never an issue with just the half finger. And while we are talking gloves I highly reccomend using ones with gel inserts in the pads of your palm area. I use Pearl Izumi gel lites. I have both half and full finger models. They make a huge difference in a comfortable ride.
    https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item...ed=0CHoQgwgwAw
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Grk224 View Post
    I can't be the only person who prefers gloveless?
    In this thread you are so, get some gloves and thank us all later.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

AZ
    banned
    I know they look super - cool but come on, you'll get a tan line!!

Yeah but scar tissue just never tans right.

saddlemeat
    Cork/foam grips are easy on bare hands.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Rides the Desert
    Just never been a fan of gloves and I've bought some nice ones.

That's why I am wondering if anyone knows of any "bare-hand" specific tread patterns.

I really liked my Lizard Skin Moab's but they are getting pretty bare and overly smooth; I did find them a little thick though so i might go with something thinner.. Maybe personal preference is the only criteria that matters in this department?

I can't be the only person who prefers gloveless? I know they look super - cool but come on, you'll get a tan line!!
    I think the lizard skins northshore are pretty cool, never used them though. I have ODI rougues which are big and fat which I love but theyre uncomfortable to ride gloveless with. For you I would really reccomend ESI chunkys, theyre nice and soft as well as not really having a pattern thats gonna annoy you gloveless. I know what you mean on tan lines though, theyre annoying as f but I just cant go gloveless

Ride Instigator
    All I can say is that if you've ever wiped out while riding gloveless and tore up the palm of your hand...you'll never EVER ride gloveless again. Dealing with a badly scraped up hand for a couple weeks til it heals sucks, trust me, I found out the hard way,

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by ltk1144 View Post
    I think the lizard skins northshore are pretty cool, never used them though. I have ODI rougues which are big and fat which I love but theyre uncomfortable to ride gloveless with. For you I would really reccomend ESI chunkys, theyre nice and soft as well as not really having a pattern thats gonna annoy you gloveless. I know what you mean on tan lines though, theyre annoying as f but I just cant go gloveless
    Tan lines! Man you have been riding too much.

Hey OP why not go with half finger gloves? Best of both worlds.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I definitely agree there can be a "difference" in ride comfort with the right gloves but I dont think they can be a substitue for proper bike sizing and fit nor can they compensate for a lack there of.

IMO if your bike was uncomfortable, and you buy gloves and it becomes comfortable the fix is either wholly a mental one or a temporary band-aid for a bigger problem. If the former, a solution is a solution and I'm all for solving problems, if the latter, good luck filling up that money hole with your dollar bills.

As a personal rule, if I don't feel safe I slow down; I can't afford to get hurt so I don't push things.

Yes, yes accidents happen but may as well go out in a foam suit or plastic bubble if your that concerned.

Just an opinion Still waiting on a proper suggestion!

AZ
    banned
    ODI's

mtbr member
    I often ride gloveless and enjoy Odi Rogue
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would be interested in cork but assumed they would be slippery.. not the case?

I have torn up my hands pretty good many times over the years; scar tissue doesnt tan but it is tougher the next time you go down!

I am noticing a strong "your either an idiot or very new to the game" attitude for preferring bare hands.

Cant guarantee I am not an idiot...

I had the North Shores a few years ago and really liked them. I was just trying to explore other brands besides Lizard Skin but I have really been impressed with them over the years.

Rides the Desert
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Tan lines! Man you have been riding too much.

Hey OP why not go with half finger gloves? Best of both worlds.
    Half fingers are amazing. I dont see any protection reason to go full finger unless your gonna need knuckle protection ones. There are so many downsides to full finger and I think its crazy that anyone could crash enough to actually feel the need for them.

O yea, in AZ tan lines will always haunt you. And the thing about tan lines vs scars? O yea, tan lines are way worse haha

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    All I can say is that if you've ever wiped out while riding gloveless and tore up the palm of your hand...you'll never EVER ride gloveless again. Dealing with a badly scraped up hand for a couple weeks til it heals sucks, trust me, I found out the hard way,
    Are you a Doctor?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Front Range, Colorado
    I would be interested in cork but assumed they would be slippery.. not the case?

I have torn up my hands pretty good many times over the years; scar tissue doesnt tan but it is tougher the next time you go down!

I am noticing a strong "your either an idiot or very new to the game" attitude for preferring bare hands.

Cant guarantee I am not an idiot...

I had the North Shores a few years ago and really liked them. I was just trying to explore other brands besides Lizard Skin but I have really been impressed with them over the years.
    As I said in one of my posts I rode dirt bikes (motorcycles) for a number of years without gloves. In those day's I found OUREY made the best grip. They have a very pliable and sticky rubber compound. I am not sure if they make MTB grips or if they are even still around. But it's worth checking out.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    I also prefer to ride sans gloves whenever possible and I have had good luck w/ ESI silicone grips. To quote Zapata Espinoza (not something I do regularly) - "dress to ride, not to crash".

Dropshot Champ!
    +1 on esi chunkys.

One of the lightest grips on the planet, and waaaay more comfortable than foam.

Theyre really good, especially gloveless!

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've done this.

I had to go back to the campus clinic on a couple of successive days to get all the grit out. There's actually a little still in there. Even with cool local anesthetic paste all over the wound, it still hurt like crazy.

I figure if I wear a helmet for a high-consequence but relatively unlikely possibility, I'm going to wear gloves for something that's a lot more likely, even if it's not nearly as bad.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I never shredded my hand riding gloveless when I first started out. One day my friend behind me was crossing a small stream and I hear a loud SMACK! I look back and he had blood all over his palm with some nice exposed flesh. I never rode gloveless again. Better him than me! I have full and fingerless and I wear them on how I'm feelig that day.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast