Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Flying with your bike

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Silentfoe 
#1 ·
In a couple months I will be flying to peru with my bike. I have never flown with a bike before. I expect it to be an incredible pain, but does anyone have any tips from experience that might make the process a bit easier?

I was considering trying to find a really large suitcase and dismantle my bike as much as possible to try an fit it in (well bubble wrapped), with the few clothes I might need. Is this a reasonable idea?

#2 ·
I've done some research, and it looks like you have three basic options:

Soft-ish: Evoc Bike Bag
Plastic corregated box: CrateWorks Pro XL-C
Rigid Shell: Performance Pro BIke Case

I think I'm going to end up going with the latter for the piece of mind with the extra protection. It will be a little more of a pain to lug around, but I'm not comfortable putting a carbon bike in a soft-ish bag for a transcontinental flight. Debating between the CrateWorks and Performance case, myself...

#4 ·
I just found this video online
How To Fly Cheaper With Your Bike - Pinkbike.com
(I tried a million different ways of messing with the link but mtbr won't let me post it because my post count isn't high enough, sorry)

It seems a little worrisome how unprotected everything is when its in a hockey bag though, mainly the wheels. It seems like if there were a lot of weight on top of it, it could damage the spokes or the rotors.

Those other bags and boxes look ideal, but even more incredibly expensive in New Zealand where I am currently, and given my seriously limited finances, I might look for something similar to the hockey bag situation.

#5 ·
I've flown many times with a bike and several times on trans continental flights. It is kind of hit or miss whether or not it is easy, purely depends on the attitude of you and person behind the counter. I ALWAYS use a soft case. Specifically a Pika Sport case. I do a really good job dismantling and packing the bike. For reference, I fly with my XL carbon 29er. Even with that bike and the case, it comes in at less than 35lbs. It is also "small" enough that sometimes, it fits through the scanners and the TSA or equivalent don't have to open it up for inspection (your worst nightmare). Sometimes, when it fits through the scanner (it always does BTW, this goes back to the agent, if they think it won't fit, they pull it), they only charge me for an extra bag and not a bike. This is the biggest advantage of the Pika Sport case, they have NO idea it's a bike. It just looks like a large, oddly shaped duffel bag. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.