mtbr member
    May 2009

flood water damage

I should have moved my bike from my parents' home to my apartment, but never got around to it and now my '09 Specialized Rockhopper took a dip in the flood water that hurricane Sandy dealt to us here in Coney Island. I had it suspended on my bike repair stand, but unfortunately I did not have it high enough to avoid getting the chain drowned in the nasty flood water that was mixed with sewage, salt water, and gasoline. If the flood water touched approximately a few inches above the chain, what else on the bike would be damaged that would require repair or replacement? Main reason is to hopefully get an estimate of what needs to be repaired so I can make note of this to the insurance. Thanks.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
    I should have moved my bike from my parents' home to my apartment, but never got around to it and now my '09 Specialized Rockhopper took a dip in the flood water that hurricane Sandy dealt to us here in Coney Island. I had it suspended on my bike repair stand, but unfortunately I did not have it high enough to avoid getting the chain drowned in the nasty flood water that was mixed with sewage, salt water, and gasoline. If the flood water touched approximately a few inches above the chain, what else on the bike would be damaged that would require repair or replacement? Main reason is to hopefully get an estimate of what needs to be repaired so I can make note of this to the insurance. Thanks.
    From your description I would say the bottom bracket and crank set and hubs. And possibly the rear suspension pivot bearings.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Gumnut Peddler
    BB, crank, hubs.

I would also check over pedals and brake pads for contamination if the water got that high.

Wouldnt hurt to take it to a LBS for a full service, or spend a bit of time to do it yourself.

AZ
    banned
    Salt water will also do a pretty good job of removing anodizing, there might be some cosmetic damage.