mtbr member
    Feb 2008

flat pedal spikes too grippy?

Has anyone here found flat pedal spikes to be too grippy? I was riding my bike last night and I hit a weird curb. Basically, instead of the crosswalk going straight into the sidewalk, there was a sloped curb across the entryway to the sidewalk. It was also dimly lit so I didn't see it.

I hit the curb, lost control of the bike and wiped out. I don't think I would have wiped out so badly if I wasn't using spiked pedals (1up components flat pedals). I wasn't able to slide my feet off as easily and quickly to provide stable footing on the sidewalk.

I think spikeless pedals may also have allowed a bit more movement of my feet on the pedals which would have allowed my body to naturally compensate/adjust balance for the off kilter tire hit.

Spiked pedals provide nice energy transfer for straightaways but create constraints in some unexpected scenarios. Have you also found this to be the case? What is your opinion on this? I'm going to try to reduce the spike height with 2 washers to see if that helps.

since 4/10/2009
    Nope. Reads to me like you need to improve your bike handling skills, for one. Second, you need to spent some time getting used to your pedals. I have ZERO difficulties putting a foot down to dab, and my current pedals (DMR Vault) have some pretty aggressive pins. I have much less aggressive pins on my commuter bike's pedals (xpedo spry) and I often feel like I want to put more aggressive pins on. But even then, I don't have problems with curbs on that bike, either, which is a steel road bike with drop bars, fenders, and a rack.

You're not SUPPOSED to be able to slide your foot off the pedals. You have to pick it up. That's the whole point of pinned pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Nope. Reads to me like you need to improve your bike handling skills, for one. Second, you need to spent some time getting used to your pedals. I have ZERO difficulties putting a foot down to dab, and my current pedals (DMR Vault) have some pretty aggressive pins. I have much less aggressive pins on my commuter bike's pedals (xpedo spry) and I often feel like I want to put more aggressive pins on. But even then, I don't have problems with curbs on that bike, either, which is a steel road bike with drop bars, fenders, and a rack.

You're not SUPPOSED to be able to slide your foot off the pedals. You have to pick it up. That's the whole point of pinned pedals.
    +1.

That makes me smart
    Titus is the new Picard.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Titus is the new Picard.
    NOBODY can impersonate the Captain !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There's differences between the pins you can choose on pedals. So it's a tunable component.
    flat pedal spikes too grippy?-g0002nwj.jpg
    Your pedals have medium height skinny pins. You could round them off some with a file.

Other pedals have shorter stubby pins. They could be an option for your riding.
    Name:  20f22b6d-e26e-4c3a-9449-44196f878bfa_1_f77aaf0724749159d63bed809d9ea788.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  23.1 KB
    Wellgo MG5

Wellgo CNC Platform B143 Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles
    These Wellgo B143s show stubbies better.flat pedal spikes too grippy?-201306070948041.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    NOBODY can impersonate the Captain !!
    I find this accurate.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    I've only had the opposite issue with my spiked peddles...I sometimes wish they held a little better. But I love 'em. I'm old school and only recently took off my plastic toe cages with the cinch cord...talk about a super bummer when you've got to bail in a hurry!

Happy trails, partner

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The only issue I have with pin, are they tear up shoes faster. I just put my welgo MG5 rounder pins back on until I can grab some new shoes. The twisting when turning ha's pulled my soles up, but I amust thinking of just glueing them because I hate getting bounced off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Wellgo CNC Platform B143 Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles
    These Wellgo B143s show stubbies better.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201306070948041.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	1157109
    ^ These are my current go-to pedals, and there's provision to fit an additional six pins on each side. The alloy pins as supplied don't stay grippy for long as they soon round off, so I like to replace them with steel M4 x 0.7 grub screws. These can be a bit of a loose fit, so a drop of Loctite 243 will keep them in place (wait 24 hours to cure before riding), or if they need to be really secure then lock down with an M4 half nut. For extra grippage, a bit of skateboard grip tape along the spindle housing and rear-facing corners works a treat.

If, however, too much grip is a problem, then use a minimal number of low-profile alloy pins. You'll get more pedal strikes to the shins, but the wounds will be a millimetre or so shallower. Possibly not such a good trade-off...
    M¦dgemagnet

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    OP, start here. Why are you riding a mt bike on a sidewalk? They make these things that shine bright that fit on helmets and handlebars, lights I think they are called. It's a poor craftsman who blame their tools.