mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Fix the bike or invest in a new one

I bought a 2014 Trek X-Caliber 7 brand new and after 4 months of riding it I noticed there was play in the fork inside the head tube. I took it to a bike shop and found out I had a bent steerer tube. This was my own doing though because it is an XC bike and I treated it like an all mountain bike. I ride very aggressively, huck over jumps, and do 5 to 6 foot drops. I knew before I bought the bike my type of riding was probably more aggressive than the bike was made for. Im currently in college and didn't have the money for a solid All Mountain bike, so I did what I could with the money I had saved. Would it be better to replace the fork and run the risk of this happening again, or would I be better off saving that money and buying a used All mountain bike? The fork I have on the bike now is a suntour xcr, its a pretty whimpy fork so I would definitely want to upgrade to a fox or rock shox. I would just hate to put money into a nice fork and the same thing happen again. Would a better fork stand less of a chance of doing this or is the XC geometry holding me back? Any advice would be great.

Thanks, seth

mtbr member
    U basically covered it. Better to save ur money for a bike that will handle it. But in all fairness the stock forks suck horribly. A recall went out on them on the trek bikes because of people breaking them doing things like what u are on them lol.

U can get by with better forks, ones suited for ur riding and forks will be ok but the rest of the bike won't put up with that abuse for too terribly long. Surprised you haven't trashed the wheels yet.

Get better (but try to go used to save the cash) forks to get u by till u can save and locate a bike suited for your riding.

That's my honest opinion but take that for what its worth lol. I've learned a few hard lessons in this now mu 3rd season. One is suntour forks are garbage for anything besides simple/basic trail riding. Second is its smarter to buy the beat u can already built cause u more often than not get much more bang for buck.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds like you're on a budget, so I'd suggest saving up for a better quality fork rather a new bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just so you know, If you get another fork that has more travel it could void the frame warranty, which might be an issue for someone riding as hard as you as Trek has a good warranty, but your riding style could void the warranty, too, so probably not an issue.

It doesn't hurt to check the classifieds, craigslist and pinkbike to see what is available in either forks or complete bikes. If you live in CA, CO, or PNW, you might be surprised what is availabe on craigslist. But the used bikes in this category could be totally beaten down as you know from your riding style.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can get a good Raidon air fork for $200 from Nick at Suntour through their upgrade program. May be currently backordered.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Those are some pretty slick looking tires, is that a hybird? They are not intended to be jumped or dropped.

Trek X-Caliber 7 review - BikeRadar
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Ignore List: CannondaleF9, ShinDiggity, smilinsteve

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    If I were you, Seth, I would just save up the money and get a used bike that fits what you are using it for.

Too bad most of SR Suntour's forks are so shitty (and they are). Suntour was once a great company that made amazing products even inventing the slant-parallelogram rear derailleur in 1964. They went belly up in 1995 and then SR bought their name and smudging their prior decent reputation before they struggled with their Accushift system in 1987.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy school!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    They were catching air in that BikeRadar review so you may be able to call BS on them not replacing the fork (this is just a joke). But it sounds like a nice frame, if you could swing a used buke to huck and jump, then this bike might be worth keeping for commuting or other riding. It would suck if you have to try and sell it without a fork or get a used fork just to sell it. You are in a tough spot, under-biked and under-funded.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    thanks for the responses everyone, they're greatly appreciated. Im probably going to save my money and just end up buying a used all mountain bike. Which sucks because I did enjoy my trek while it lasted and I really like the frame. Im surprised I didn't ruin anything else on the bike also. I also thought the wheels would have gone before anything but I check them pretty often and there was never any loose spokes and it they were only slightly out of true. Ive been riding for two years now, so im still fairly new to mountain biking and I guess im finding out what bikes can and cant handle. ill have to get past all the frustration and look at this as a learning experience and move on and get back on the trail asap! This has also made me skeptical of when it comes for me to buy a bike what to look for. I know that I want a full suspension AM bike with atleast 140 mm of travel. I know I shouldn't be worried about something like this happening again but I cant help but be worried about it now. I know everyone these days makes pretty solid bikes and they can handle a lot, it just all depends what bike compliments you the best. And excuse me if this sounds like an ignorant question, but is there a bike company that is know for making a bike tough as nails, rugged, and borderline indestructible bike? I might be getting ahead of myself but I just really don't want something like this happening again. my apologies if I sound paranoid as hell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Your fork is very low grade. Suntour specified basically bike paths only for it. Once you get into equipment meant for trail riding you will have more maintenance requirements but not products under engineered. Except for Avid brakes.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Those are some pretty slick looking tires, is that a hybird? They are not intended to be jumped or dropped.

Trek X-Caliber 7 review - BikeRadar
    It is not a bloody hybrid.
    It is a mountainbike. Those tyres HAVE KNOBS.

Anyway, I would recommend looking for a used All-Mountain hardtail with a longer travel fork and beefier wheels. That should suit you better than getting a fork for this bike.
    Check out this bike: Jamis Komodo JAMIS BICYCLES
    It's basic but upgradeable.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Kona has been associated with some burly frames. I am sure you can find many others, but for budget builds that are burly it will be hard to keep them from being really heavy.

I saw that Airorne has a Fs Freeride bike now, and it's really affordable for that type of bike, right at $1,800, but I imagine it is really heavy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ive always been a big fan of AM hardtails also. Ive had some experience on full suspension bikes but prefer the feel of a hardtail. I just have no tolerance for pedal sag. Im really liking the jamis komodo and the Kona shred. Ive also checked out the Diamondback Mason. they all seem like good bikes and very affordable. And I know at my price range im not going to get a light bike by any means, but ill definitely sacrifice weight for toughness any day. this was my first post on the mtbr forum and im really surprised at the feedback and advice, Thanks everyone!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    It is not a bloody hybrid.
    It is a mountainbike. Those tyres HAVE KNOBS.
    Really, really small knobs.

What, are you british now? You seriously don't sound the teenager from central VT that you claim to be in your profile.

Fix the bike or invest in a new one-17ea9fd7efd86c8c3c7a048775db35df4e08b662dcfe922566d1d7fb78801399.jpg
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Ignore List: CannondaleF9, ShinDiggity, smilinsteve

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Really, really small knobs.

What, are you british now? You seriously don't sound the teenager from central VT that you claim to be in your profile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17ea9fd7efd86c8c3c7a048775db35df4e08b662dcfe922566d1d7fb78801399.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	906872
    I am from VT but I type and talk in a British sense because I watch too many British TV shows.
    And why does it matter anyway?
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie