mtbr member
    Mar 2012

First race of the year tomorrow anyone take a pre workout for a race

Last year was my first year of racing I learned a lot. Entered cat 3 finished 15 then entered a cat 2 finished last then cat 3 again finished 13. All off season I have been training a lot and when I go to the gym I've been taking mp assault pre workout. I'm thinking about taking it before the race tomorrow it's about 8 mile long course with a few brutal long climbs. What's your opinion on taking the pre workout. In the gym it does wonders and I do hit the spin bike for 40 min or so on it helps me push through the workout.

mtbr member

I wouldn't do it cause you have never done it and rode a bike really hard before. That's something to try out first, then see how your body reacts.
    I was at a Air Force pt test last year and a guy did the same thing. It was some interesting color throw up on the infield.
    Just go race and see how you are. Honestly over a 8 mile race I'm not sure you would see any Benifit. And many of those prr workout use mega doses of caffeine to work. Your body has to pull water in to absorb that. At least that's my understanding.,
    Bill

mtbr member

I use pre-workout supplements for mtn bike racing. I've had some really great results from their use.
    Most pre-workout supplements are not designed for one time usage. Many of them contain some variant of creatine. Creatine requires constant use to build up in your body. For best results, use them for your daily workout and even on rest days to aid in recovery.
    My personal favorite pre-workout supplement is called Arnge-Krush. It's stimulants are less powerful than newer supplements like Jack3d. Arnge-Krush has an 8hr time release formula that keeps working after the race to help with recovery. Most pre-workout supplements, like NO Xplode or Fast Twitch, have only two hour time release formulas.
    Unfortunately Arbge-Krush has become hard to find and prohibitively expensive, so I've been using other supplements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Bro Mountainbiker
    Some pre-workouts contain banned chemicals under USADA guidelines. Jack3d does for sure... Not sure if the one you take does.

You will most likely never be tested, but If you ever are, you wont want that in your system.

Honest to god, I would be nervous to take any supplement along those lines. You never know if they are produced in the same "labs"(basements) that also make drugs banned in competition. If you choose to, stick to a big name brand(more consistency and liability in product control) that clearly doesnt have any banned substances in the mix.

Hate to be a like your mom, but race, train, and live full natty. Drugs are not the answer.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I use pre-workout supplements for mtn bike racing. I've had some really great results from their use.
    Most pre-workout supplements are not designed for one time usage. Many of them contain some variant of creatine. Creatine requires constant use to build up in your body. For best results, use them for your daily workout and even on rest days to aid in recovery.
    My personal favorite pre-workout supplement is called Arnge-Krush. It's stimulants are less powerful than newer supplements like Jack3d. Arnge-Krush has an 8hr time release formula that keeps working after the race to help with recovery. Most pre-workout supplements, like NO Xplode or Fast Twitch, have only two hour time release formulas.
    Unfortunately Arbge-Krush has become hard to find and prohibitively expensive, so I've been using other supplements.

Creatine for endurance sport? I used to use it body building and the extra 5 pounds of water weight was pretty cool when you are lifting in the gym. Not so much climbing mountains.

mtbr member

Creatine works great for cycling.
    In the gym, it gives the benefit of allowing the user a couple more reps per set. The effects are similar in cycling. I can push harder for longer on climbs. I can ride many more miles before cramping and muscle fatigue sets in.
    The weight is a non factor for me as I'm a Clyde anyway. I can stop drinking beer and drop a ton of weight in a hurry, but then what's the point of living?
    I'd be skinny and hate life.

Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Creatine works great for cycling.
    In the gym, it gives the benefit of allowing the user a couple more reps per set. The effects are similar in cycling. I can push harder for longer on climbs. I can ride many more miles before cramping and muscle fatigue sets in.
    The weight is a non factor for me as I'm a Clyde anyway. I can stop drinking beer and drop a ton of weight in a hurry, but then what's the point of living?
    I'd be skinny and hate life.

Horses for courses! I used to get cramps on creatine.

Studies have proven that it has zero effect on cardiovascular system, o2 uptake, or lactate concentration which makes it worthless for pure endurance exercise. I.E. running marathons.

Similar studies have shown in improves sprint-type efforts. So I guess if you are racing a <10 mile race and charging every hill, creatine could be a useful supplement. I.E. 100m sprint.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    First, If you have pushed your bodies cardiovascular system to the limit on the pre-work out drink go for it.

Second. A little about creatine. Creatine right before a workout is not ideal. I don't remember article or the specifics but something about the process of storing creating in the muscle causes it to compete with energy already available (taking available phosphates?). Here is different article explaining that it robs vital water before a workout. and also talks about how it can be a good supplement in a recovery drink. When To Take Creatine: Timing Is Everything

Also, I've read that creatine does not add any weight if you don't go through a loading phase, but instead slowly build up your reserve. So the small amount in a sports drink would be closer to 5 grams needed for a slow build/maintenance. I have done the slow build method without any water retention weight penalties.

Finally creating is going to give you very little results over a bike race. The muscles will deplete creatine as a quick source of phosphate after your first extended hard effort. It MIGHT help you get that hole shot from dirt road to single track during a sprint effort in the first 10 min/mile of the race, but after that. I would't expect anything.

Creatine is good to help build muscles by helping you give one or two last reps that will burn them out. But if your pushing your muscles that hard in a bike race, your doing it wrong.

So if you want to take creatine great, but don't have unrealistic expectations. If you do leg strength exercises it will surely help you build muscle and it might help in a sprint effort off the line. But to infer that an 8 mile bike race isn't long enough for it to be of any benefit seems to contradict any study I've read.
    Creatine supplementation in endurance s... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI

I have an open mind, if someone can provide evidence contrary I welcome it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Horses for courses! I used to get cramps on creatine.

Studies have proven that it has zero effect on cardiovascular system, o2 uptake, or lactate concentration which makes it worthless for pure endurance exercise. I.E. running marathons.

Similar studies have shown in improves sprint-type efforts. So I guess if you are racing a <10 mile race and charging every hill, creatine could be a useful supplement. I.E. 100m sprint.
    Cramping is likely due to taking the creatine pre-workout. Starving your vital organs of water. See article posted in my next post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I ended up taking it and I would not recommend doing so. First I ended up having to pee the whole race so that sucked on top of me being thirsty as hell the whole race. I went through my fluids half way through ended up 8th place.