Thread: First Aid

banned
    Aug 2012

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! First Aid

I just quoted an old comment from a resurrected thread, in the Passion section, and it got me to thinking...............

We all seem to carry stuff for fixing our bikes, if/when they break down ... What do you carry for fixing self and others ?

Myself,
    I admit, I haven't ... But think that if planing to be X numbers of miles/minutes away from help, this would be a good thing.

Thinking First-Aid ONLY ... Not Survival !!!
    I'm thinking the following might be a good start.

Blood clot agent
    Material for sling/tourniquet & compress (I've read (survival board) that a feminine PAD works very well for this last item)
    Lock-Blade knife ... Use for splint making improv with above item.

What would you add to such a list ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I take a few baindaids, that's about it. A more extensive mini kit could be a good thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm interested what others carry as well.

In my MULE I carry;

(in a pill box)
    2-3 800mg Ibuprofen
    2-3 tums
    1-2 acid reducer pills
    1-2 allergy pills

(in a zip lock sandwich bag)

2 Clotting pads
    2 tampons
    Sterile gauze pad
    Little roll of medical tape
    Duct tape rerolled flat
    A few alchohol wipes
    Couple various waterproof bandaids

(in another zip bag)
    4-5 good sized moist baby wipes – these get used the most, though not for TP… yet

All these get shoved into one last Zip bag.

I love zip bags for everything. They are light, waterproof, and conform well in my pack.

I also have some zip ties, para cord, and a little leatherman that could be used for medical purposed worst case.

And a dedicated rescue inhaler... Asthma every once in a while, but getting an attack on the trail and not having it SUCKS

psycho cyclo addict
    In my saddle bag I carry ibuprofen, antibiotic ointment, a small lock blade knife, a few band aid's, para cord, duct tape and a couple of strike anywhere matches. On 3+ hour rides I generally carry a small first aid kit. On all day rides and weekend extravaganza's I carry a larger first aid kit in a Camelback.

AZ
    banned
    super glue

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    super glue
    Sounds crazy, but it is medical duct tape

Great responses thus far ... Keep them coming.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Standard small first aid kit....and a big ace bandage.

Never Forget 9-11
    Take a first aid class.

Learn CPR.

Always know your location on the trail.

I would suggest not giving anyone any medications unless you have training in that field.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

duh
    Here are some answers from a post in the beginners section.

First aid what to do and what to carry
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Quick Clot and plastic bag for a sucking chest wound. Anything less and you just rub dirt on it and keep riding.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

First Aid

I saw a sanitary pad on the subway escalator. It was gross. I hope you guys will reconsider packing that with you.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I saw a sanitary pad on the subway escalator. It was gross. I hope you guys will reconsider packing that with you.
    I'm a nurse and I don't like seeing them on escalators either.

My husband carries most of the tools and I carry some first aid supplies

Some of the main things are Alcohol swabs, hydrogen peroxide, treatment for stings. dry and non-stick gauze, tape etc etc
    We've both had first aid training. I learned you can't carry everything... so you learn to makeshift

I also carry extra toilet paper, plastic bags, chapstick...
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I know Hoban and a few other EMT's will probably chime in here as well, but I usually carry:
    First Aid Kit (band-aids, alcohol preps, gauze, etc)
    Survival Blanket (2"x2" unravels into a large "space blanket")
    Epi-Pen (you never know!)
    Ace type bandage
    A couple Cravats
    Tourniquets (essentially just rubber bands for starting Iv's, will work well in a pinch)
    A towel
    Some rope

It's good to carry general first aid supplies, but just remember that a cold beer and duct tape can fix anything! Seriously though, unless you're really roughing it, you're not that far from medical assistance and a cell phone can save a life. Just try to control bleeding or breaks and the like until you can get to certified medical professionals.

Give it a crank
    The basics plus a wound disinfectant and eye drops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hydrogen Peroxide has fallen out of favor recently, the thought being that it actually slows healing. We were involves with CERT, CERT : Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) and were issued just plain old bottled drinking water for wound cleanup, and taught that hydrogen peroxide should be administered by professionals only.

Hydrogen Peroxide for Wound Cleaning: Water's better!

Wound Cleaning With Peroxide | eHow.com

However, here is one study that found that it did not slow healing, but didn't disinfect either.
    Medscape: Medscape Access

With CERT, it is probably a case of being overly cautious. But who knows? At any rate, given the available info, I am disinclined to carry the extra weight.

I have a cousin that is a professional Outward-Bound type, and he feels that if an injury is minor enough for first aid, it is minor enough to wait until you get out of the woods.

I heard that honey is a good disinfectant. I carry homemade energy gel I made using the ingredients on a pack of Stinger. Last time I bloodied myself, I decided to give it a try. Not a band wound, mind you -- normally I would have done nothing.

I cleaned it with my drinking water and applied honey. It did lessen the pain and healed quickly. Not sure if the honey helped or if it was just cleaning the dirt off the wound. We always have drinking water, so may as well clean woulds with it.

The biggest "first aid" thing I carry is for prevention. I got tired of skinning my knees, so now wear doubled-over knee-warmers over my kneecaps

mtbr member
    I'm pretty minimalist with my kit. My main concern would be just getting someone (or myself) back to the trailhead instead of long term wound management, and most places I ride have decent cell reception, so I dont carry a lot of serious disinfectants or meds.

Basically I just have a roll of gauze, few triangle bandages (these are great), some large bandaids, alcohol wipes and medical tape. Also have an irrigation syringe for wound cleaning. If I'm riding really out there I carry more (10 essentials, survival blanket, SAM splint, tick tweezers).

Sounds like a commercial, but the most important thing to have is really knowlege. Don't be the guy with the enormous first aid backpack but doesn't bother to lean how to use any of it. I took a WFR class which was awesome, but even a general first aid class is invaluable.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Gauze
    Neosporin
    Liquid Bandage (burns like hell, but works well)
    I also like to have the white butterfly strips at all times. They close up wounds like no other,

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have one of those small travel first aid kits that I keep in my camelbak, which I use for longer rides. It has all the basic stuff in it. Then I also have one of those emergency blankets in there as well, which is mostly for when I use the pack for hiking and camping. Normally I don't carry anything if I'm on my normal rides which never puts me far from the car or help, and always within cell phone reception. I'm an RN, so I can get pretty creative when need to. Luckily I've never had to put my medical knowledge to use out on the trails, and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Most of the time when I've gotten really banged up I've just washed off the wound quickly with whatever is in my bottle (so Heed/water, LOL) and continue on my way and do proper repairs once I am home. I rode for 3 hours with a cracked elbow in Moab because I wanted to keep riding, so I just kinda brushed the dirt out of the wound and used some water from my camelbak to clean it, totally ignoring the small first aid kit I had with me (the bandaids would've been way too small anyway).

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    I'm pretty minimalist with my kit. My main concern would be just getting someone (or myself) back to the trailhead instead of long term wound management, and most places I ride have decent cell reception, so I dont carry a lot of serious disinfectants or meds.

Basically I just have a roll of gauze, few triangle bandages (these are great), some large bandaids, alcohol wipes and medical tape. Also have an irrigation syringe for wound cleaning. If I'm riding really out there I carry more (10 essentials, survival blanket, SAM splint, tick tweezers).

Sounds like a commercial, but the most important thing to have is really knowlege. Don't be the guy with the enormous first aid backpack but doesn't bother to lean how to use any of it. I took a WFR class which was awesome, but even a general first aid class is invaluable.
    That's the thought process I was hoping for.

Minimalist First-Aid to get off the trails, and back to civilization.

The syringe is something worth adding to a minimal kit, for sure !!!

beater

First Aid

In my big pack, I carry a small Adventure Medical first aid kit. My small pack just has some basic wound care supplies. I also took a wilderness first aid course last summer, and I recommend it.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.