mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Finally started making changes to my bike...first mod - new stem

I bought my Cannondale Rize 5 several years ago (it's an 09 I believe) and haven't changed anything except for grips since I've had it mostly because I haven't really been riding it much until the last few months. It's been fun to ride but I knew it wasn't just right so I decided to start making changes until I got it just right. I've gotten a little better at riding lately and I've been trying more challenging terrain and I've been riding longer as well and I've noticed that it's just not that comfortable on the long rides.

I knew the stem was too long, so that was my first thing to change. I decided to go to the extreme and ordered a 40MM Truvativ stem (TRUVATIV Hussefelt Stem | SRAM). I put it on today and took it for a ride and it was like riding a whole new bike. I made a few adjustments to the handlebar position, shifters and brake levers and got everything where I like it.

Anyways, I rode for about 5 miles on it this evening before it got dark and I gotta say, i'm not so sure I made the right choice. Maybe it's just because it was such a drastic change that i'm gonna have to get used to it, I hope. I almost felt like I was just gonna go over the handlebars a few times, it was just weird.

Hopefully once I get the stem issue worked out whether I get used to this one or have to get a little longer one, my next mod is wheels. I never believed people when they said their wheels flexed but since I've been riding a little harder lately, I swear my wheels are gonna fold in half sometimes. Oh, and I destroyed the rear cup on the Shimano hub and the preload on the front bearings was really tight so I repacked both and replaced worn parts in rear. It's amazing the difference that made but these things are next to get changed out.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    The Hussfelt is a Downhill stem, almost as short as a stem can be. Because the Rize is a XC bike, the Truvativ AKA would have been a better choice. This is something that you can get used to, but it may take a while. With this stem, you need to ride with most of your weight over the rear wheel, with your head over the bars. This displacement of weight will make the front end a little lighter, and it will not feel like it will flip over as much.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Downhill frames are also designed for very short stems. If you're going to go with a stem that short, which seems to be the current fashion, then you'll need to get some really wide bars to match- or not, depending on how your frame fits you. Dialing in handlebar reach and drop is trickier than getting the right seat height, but every bit as important as far as efficiency, control and comfort are concerned. If I changed my stem length 1 cm without changing bar width it would really bug me.