mtbr member

Filling tire with grass... makeshift flat tire solutions...

Ok, so tonight while I was riding, I came across someone who had a flat and no spare tube or tools to change a tube. Someone had advised him to remove his tire, fill it with grass, and re-mount it on his rim. Out of desperation, this is what he was attempting.

I offered him a spare tube, pump, tire levers, whatever he needed to get back up and running. Although, he had spent so much time on this grass solution that he just needed to see it work, refused the tube but asked to burrow my tire levers to finish getting the tire mounted (crazy, but I can respect that...). With all of the grass in the tire he couldn't easily re-mount it.

Has anyone else heard of this makeshift solution before? Got me curious but I couldn't think of a good way of searching for it on here. Any other wild solutions that anyone else has come up with in this situation? Found this very interesting and was curious for more thoughts, opinions, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    And you didn't wait around to see if it worked?

I think he got confused. The solution he was thinking of was to smoke some grass, then just ride the flat tire.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yeah i've done this before. you can't go very fast, but it will definitely keep you from grinding your rim on the ground, or ruining your tire. when i was a kid we'd do this all the time in the woods.. i mean it was that or go for a really long walk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    And you didn't wait around to see if it worked?

I think he got confused. The solution he was thinking of was to smoke some grass, then just ride the flat tire.
    Actually rode back to the car with him, he was a pretty cool dude. I think you probably right about his confusion though, haha

Oh, and as far as it working... ehhh... it got him back to the car at least, and i don't think any damage. But it wasn't pretty, and didn't sound good, haha. He didn't seem to care either way, I think he was looking for an excuse to get a new bike anyways, haha.

spec4life???..smh...
    yeah iv heard that stuffing the tire full or grass or leaves will get you home as a last resort...

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    yeah i've done this before. you can't go very fast, but it will definitely keep you from grinding your rim on the ground, or ruining your tire. when i was a kid we'd do this all the time in the woods.. i mean it was that or go for a really long walk.
    That's funny because when I was a kid if we flatted we'd smoke some grass and push it home.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    That's funny because when I was a kid if we flatted we'd smoke some grass and push it home.
    damn hippies

It's about showing up.
    I've used leaves and pine needles as well, on a front tire flat. Kept weight back adn rode 2 miles to the trail head. Pretty lucky.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    hmmm I think I have something to try with all of this fake easter grass.

Your Best Friend
    I've used about a million small pinecones before. Wasn't easy, or pretty. And it sucked.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

'11 Opus Strat
    Mythbusters!, It was on a car though and didn't work the best lol. But a bike is a heck of a lot lighter and could probably jam it full. I used to carry around a can of tirefill foam spray.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've totally done this before. Saved a 6 mile walk back to the car.

Dont worry, since then I no longer ride on OEM tires... I saw the error in my ways after that day.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you all get the tires mounted back on the rim while doing this? Me and this guy had a hell of a time doing it last night with my tire levers even. I am assuming those who have had to resort to this solution were not packing tire levers since they had no spare tube (or patch kit for that matter)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmay5469 View Post
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you all get the tires mounted back on the rim while doing this? Me and this guy had a hell of a time doing it last night with my tire levers even. I am assuming those who have had to resort to this solution were not packing tire levers since they had no spare tube (or patch kit for that matter)?
    Strong sticks and strong hands
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

Only 5 lives left
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmay5469 View Post
    Ok, so tonight while I was riding, I came across someone who had a flat and no spare tube or tools to change a tube. Someone had advised him to remove his tire, fill it with grass, and re-mount it on his rim. Out of desperation, this is what he was attempting.
    Used this method on both road and MTB tires, saves a walk home. The only problem is if there isn't enough grass/leaves in the tire the vegetation has a tendency of migrating to one spot and causing a lump in the tire and a bumpy ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    Used this method on both road and MTB tires, saves a walk home. The only problem is if there isn't enough grass/leaves in the tire the vegetation has a tendency of migrating to one spot and causing a lump in the tire and a bumpy ride.
    This is exactly what happened to him last night, haha. Kinda funny to watch...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i always have levers, i usually don't bring tubes with me though, just a patch kit. i just don't like to carry that much stuff.

mtbr member
    I've seen the more urban solution, where homeless people will load their tires up with newspapers to ride around.