Ski during the off-season

feedback on Graber Outback rack

I have been looking at a Graber Outback Bike rack, but have not found any reviews on them. From the pictures that I have seen, it looks like 2 & 3 bike versions have different ways of securing the bike to the rack. Does anyone out there own one & care to comment on it? Thx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by journey
    I have been looking at a Graber Outback Bike rack, but have not found any reviews on them. From the pictures that I have seen, it looks like 2 & 3 bike versions have different ways of securing the bike to the rack. Does anyone out there own one & care to comment on it? Thx.
    I just bought one of the 3 bike versions about a month ago. Overall it does a good job, it holds tight on the back of my car even when loaded down with 3 heavy bikes. The only thing I don't like so far is that the plastic straps scuffed the paint on my bike. I know, every mountain bike gets scratches, dings and scuffs. But, I would rather get them on the trail than on the bike rack used to get to the trail. Other than this problem, it is a good rack and worth the money.
    ***CRASH ***
    2 arms...
    2 legs...
    1 head....
    Check....
    SWEET!

thx for the info -- i just picked one up off of ebay...

Quote Originally Posted by OkieInCT
    I just bought one of the 3 bike versions about a month ago. Overall it does a good job, it holds tight on the back of my car even when loaded down with 3 heavy bikes. The only thing I don't like so far is that the plastic straps scuffed the paint on my bike. I know, every mountain bike gets scratches, dings and scuffs. But, I would rather get them on the trail than on the bike rack used to get to the trail. Other than this problem, it is a good rack and worth the money.
    Thanks for the feedback -- have you carried any bikes while driving at interstate speeds? Also, what type of vehicle do you have?

After reading some of the reviews where bikes have dropped off the back of cars going down the interstate, its nice to read about someone having a good experience. I just picked one up for $30 off of ebay (including P&H) -- seems like a good price. Thx again.

Are you talking to me?

You are kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by journey
    Thanks for the feedback -- have you carried any bikes while driving at interstate speeds? Also, what type of vehicle do you have?

After reading some of the reviews where bikes have dropped off the back of cars going down the interstate, its nice to read about someone having a good experience. I just picked one up for $30 off of ebay (including P&H) -- seems like a good price. Thx again.
    $30 for a rack that you are planning on putting on your car, with bikes, and going highway speeds? It could be $130 and I will still question it. Stick with a proven design. I think you need to check yourself. I am not trying to be funny, but helpful.
    gfy

mtbr member
    I took my Kona Kikapu and a friends Trek 90 on a 3 hour ride down the highway a couple of weekends ago. They rode on the carrier just fine. I checked the straps at every stop (Something I would do on any type of rack while traveling at highway speeds) and they didn't slip at all. All in all, the rack held them solid all they way.
    ***CRASH ***
    2 arms...
    2 legs...
    1 head....
    Check....
    SWEET!

I checked out the Graber reviews before hitting the bid button...

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    $30 for a rack that you are planning on putting on your car, with bikes, and going highway speeds? It could be $130 and I will still question it. Stick with a proven design. I think you need to check yourself. I am not trying to be funny, but helpful.
    Understand your comments on this--that's one of the reasons why I asked about it. I read one too many reviews on bike racks that dropped bikes while going at interstate speeds. I checked the ratings & reviews on the Graber racks & saw that the Graber racks pretty consistently got good reviews. The Outback model appears to have better 'holders' than some of the more basic racks. Anyway, I primarily plan to use this rack for around town--I will end up getting a 4-bike rack for the interstate trips when we go on vacation with the family.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I picked one of the 3 bike models from work for 40 bucks with tax (I work at ***** Sporting Goods) and so far it has been great carrying my Haro 8.3 around. Though I do plan on getting a Yakima roof system as soon as I can get the new price list and employee purchase form faxed to me.