Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Viva la Vida!

Favorite Music for Riding

What is your favorite kind of music for riding and mention some of your favorite artists.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

official eMpTyBRain
    Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Ozzy, AC/DC, Judas Priest,....anything high energy and hard
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Ozzy, AC/DC, Judas Priest,....anything high energy and hard
    Wow, you're old. I know this because those are some of my favorite hard rock bands as well, and I am old.

I Ride Bikes
    I don't listen to any music when I ride. Even when I'm driving to the trails, I usually just turn off the radio.

The sound of nature puts me into the mood.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    This song. On repeat for the full ~2 hours that I'm usually riding. Same goes for when I'm skiing.

I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Anything upbeat I'll listen to and my artists change after I burn myself out on them. I currently listen to The Killers, Foo Fighters, Dream Theater, Assemblage 23 (unknown band), and that is enough for most of my rides. I also enjoy some electronic music too!
    Last edited by Rod; 01-17-2013 at 06:19 AM.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Wow, you're old. I know this because those are some of my favorite hard rock bands as well, and I am old.
    I've always been a head banger/metal head even though I don't look like one anymore.

I actually stopped listening to music while riding years ago. Doesn't mean I'm not cranking these tunes while driving for work or while vacationing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Fellow old guy here, grew up listening to all those band and still do. But...thanks to satellite radio I've discovered some really great new(er) bands like Alter Bridge, Chevelle, Three Days Grace, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for My Valentine, etc.

crash test dummy
    Depends on the ride, I mix in slower paced stuff is nice to keep me from burning myself out but mostly metal and rock mixed with a just a little rap and techno/dubstep. Dubstep is like musical meth, it's dangerous stuff and should probably be avoided if you don't want to die of a heart attack on the trail or end up embedded in a tree trunk.
    I meant to do that.

mtbr member
    hawg's list is similar to mine for the most part. throw in some AIC, BLS, old jane's addiction. for me it depends what trail i'm gonna ride and how cuz i can switch and flow with beastieboys or even the beautifulgirls. a few weeks ago while doin' trail maintenance and riding on a little jump line i was rockin beethoven ode to joy. weird but calming while in the air. i only bring music once in awhile on a ride..usually during a dawn patrol start. then i shut it down when i know there are more users arriving.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

The Original Suspect
    Another old guy here! I listen to whatever shuffles on my iPod. A lot of the stuff already mentioned. I don't listen while riding anymore, only in truck on the way. I used to listen while riding but after noting the consensus here that ear buds are frowned upon, I chose to amend my ways and I have found that I have become a better rider without the distraction that music causes. I used to think it motivating to have loud high bpm music, but I now see that I was oblivious to my surroundings. I am more aware of potential dangers (snakes) and away from the thoughts music invokes.

To each his/her own but some of the bands I listen to frequently are Blue October, Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Killers, BFMV...

Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    This song. On repeat for the full ~2 hours that I'm usually riding. Same goes for when I'm skiing.

your rickroll attempt is lame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    not old but have heard of and listen to some of the bands mentioned

For riding i like DJ podcasts for continuous uninterupted beats, it's great for high energy training rides and have some downtempo and indie/rock playlists for calming vibes. Mostly house music, electro and progressive with some tech, funky, oldschool thrown in. The tiesto and above and beyond podcasts are awesome and good places to start if you want to try something different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The hell with music while on a
    ride, just enjoy the flow.

mtbr member
    Don't listen to music during a ride but I listen to Handlebars after every ride on the drive home

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    The hell with music while on a
    ride, just enjoy the flow.
    This is me nowadays.

mtbr member
    Haven't ridden too long, but I've found that on the trail I actually prefer the sound of my tires across the dirt. When I started I used to listen to music, but I found that when I just listen to nature, I get way more feedback about what's actually happening. That being said, I felt like maybe trying some very mellow dubstep for my next ride...

mtbr member
    I have trouble letting go and enjoying the ride without music to distract. I get all whiney; 'Ow, my calves! Oh, my lungs are burning! I gotta cut the ride short and do important stuff... GAWD work pissed me off, **** this ****! I still suck at this, I will never get better... I never should have left bed. This is dangerous, I am going to break my neck. I look stupid. I feel like a complete noob. I am embarrassing myself. This is too hard...'

It goes away, and instincts take over. I second guess a lot less, I loosen up, and actually concentrate much more. I may consider going without music on the descents, since I really focus when stuff is technical and more dangerous. The climb (first half of my ride) blows. That is when I constantly want to turn around and say '**** it'. Music lets me just pump it all out, it's a nice distraction

In terms of what I listen to? Pandora chooses specifics. Generally, it is what I am in the mood for, and I have a wide range of tastes. Dubstep is good for riding, but lack of variety made me get sick of the Pandora mix. Blues and Jazz is what I have been on lately, seeded by the Cowboy Beebop soundtrack. Coltrane, Davis, Monk, Mingus... you know, the GOOD stuff Put on a Grateful Dead seed the last ride, that had some really awesome stuff. I will sometimes listen to my Tool seed when I am all emo feeling, Korn or Nine Inch Nails seed when I am all *****y feeling, and my Amon Tobin/ Post Rock seed when I am feeling all existential and need some room and a canvas to help me think stuff over. I started biking with my Gorillaz seed, and switched between that and my Aphex Twin/ Crystal Method seeded station. I haven't touched my soundtrack seeds (everything from MIDI to fully orchestrated and lots in between) for biking yet, too slow. I use them extensively for painting and artwork though. The Grateful Dead station had the slowest stuff yet, but I think I was in the mood for it cause it didn't slow me down

Favorite is totally dependent on the day

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    No music, love the sounds of nature and my brakes buzzing like angry bees.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think music could be a distraction while riding.Just enjoy your ride.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ Zarr is very wise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    ^ Zarr is very wise.
    I began to realize what our fellow mtbr members said.
    Now I just concentrate on 2 things...
    me...and the trail.
    Pretty full plate right there.

Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nothing beats the sound of a mountainbike goimg downhill!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steineken View Post
    not old but have heard of and listen to some of the bands mentioned

For riding i like DJ podcasts for continuous uninterupted beats, it's great for high energy training rides and have some downtempo and indie/rock playlists for calming vibes. Mostly house music, electro and progressive with some tech, funky, oldschool thrown in. The tiesto and above and beyond podcasts are awesome and good places to start if you want to try something different.
    +1... Nothing like a little House, Trance, etc. to get your heart rate up and mood right.. Same here be it Pandora Tiesto radio, AVB radio or similar podcasts.. Great music to ride to..

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    another with no music on the ride. i prefer the ipod in the subaru over a CD or FM radio.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast