mtbr member

Factory waxed chain

I was just out for my 2nd ride on my new FS 29 er and the waxed factory chain is just a magnet for dirt. A close look at the chain reveals all kinds of junk that is clinging to the chain.

I am thinking it should be degreased with simple green and then lubed?

Team Livemedium
    had that too last with a 951 sram chain. yes I rode it once thinking it was ok but after that decided to take back off and scrub and degrease. Took me forever with joy and a tub of soapy water and a brush but LOTS of crap came out. Soaked with Rock and Roll blue. Ahhhhhhhhh much better. F that factory coating is what I say!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The factory lube is great, you just can't leave it all over the outside of the chain and think that it won't pick stuff up.

Wipe it off the outside of the chain with a rag and isopropyl alcohol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    The factory lube is great, you just can't leave it all over the outside of the chain and think that it won't pick stuff up.

Wipe it off the outside of the chain with a rag and isopropyl alcohol.
    Is that normal rubbing alcohol that you are referring to?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I rinsed it off with my prolink chain lube. Then wipe off, then lube it. It is all good. It was brand new XT chain that I bought together with brand new prolink lube. On the lube bottle, it says rinse the new chain first before use it. Glad I read it and obeyed.
    I dont know why factory would put sticky wax on their chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Factory waxed chain

I don't think that's meant to be lube. I think its to prevent corrosion over time if its sitting on a shelf in a shop. I always clean that Crap off before I install the chain and apply my own lube.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    I recently bought a Cannondale Cyclocross bike and the chain seemed to have that same factory wax feel to it. I asked the guru in the bike shop about the chain and he said that factory treatment should last about 400 miles of riding on pavement.

I just have the urge to treat my new chains with pro link, my preferred lube!

Flow like water
    Chain Maintenance

Hear the man. Wipe off the outside of the links. You will do no harm doing that.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Chain Maintenance

Hear the man. Wipe off the outside of the links. You will do no harm doing that.
    Thanks for the link, great info!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Chain Maintenance

i was using White Lightning spray degreaser then wax and getting stretch in just a few hundred miles. I'm wondering now if the solvent removing all the grease inside the links somehow contributes to that ? At any rate now i use citrus degreaser in the chain cleaner rinsed with water

mtbr member
    I only use the citrus degreasers and use Prolink for the chain lube. Not sure if this system is the best however it woks well for me. The chain and drive train seem to stay clear for a good amount of time.

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    Depends. SRAM chains come lubed from the factory with "Gleitmo" which is a high quality lube treatment which they recommend for actual use in riding conditions, until you have to clean and relube. Shimano chains come in a packing grease that - as one poster already mentioned - is only meant for preventing corrosion. The Shimano chains should be cleaned of the factory pack grease and relubed before riding.

It's about showing up.
    Good info!
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    The FS Trek & the Cannondale Cyclocross both have KMC chains. The one on the mountain bike is like fly paper, it has everything stuck to it after just 2 rides. Based on the way it looks, I cannot believe the recommendation would be to leave it!

The Cannondale does not look as sticky ( only have 12 miles on the bike) and the bike shop expert said it should not need a thing until about 400 miles or so.

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    The FS Trek & the Cannondale Cyclocross both have KMC chains. The one on the mountain bike is like fly paper, it has everything stuck to it after just 2 rides. Based on the way it looks, I cannot believe the recommendation would be to leave it!

The Cannondale does not look as sticky ( only have 12 miles on the bike) and the bike shop expert said it should not need a thing until about 400 miles or so.
    I am not familiar with how KMC packs their chains. However, I do think the bike shop "expert's" advice should be taken with a grain of salt anyhow, since 400 miles is an awfully long time to go without any fresh lube on a chain. squeak, squeak, squeak...

EDIT: I should have read more carefully. If the 'cross bike is going to be ridden road only or other pristine conditions that don't contaminate or remove (i.e. wash away) the lube from the chain, I suppose 400 miles isn't completely out of scope. Out a mountain bike that would definitely be a long time to go in between.