mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Extreme Makevover - 2001 Rocky Element

Hi group, thanks for looking. I am at the point with my 2001 Rocky Mountain Element Race to decide whether to
    a) Take the useful parts off this bike and attach it to a new steed;
    b) Keep the current setup and upgrade a variety of parts;
    c) Purchase an all new bike.
    Money of course is an issue. This bike is for all round XC riding on Canada's West coast, e.g. Whistler and Squamish singletrack, plus some gentler North Shore rides. it is my only bike for local citizen class races
    The current bike setup, plus some comments:

1) Aluminum frame; 3" travel front and back. Single pivot. A good climber, average descender. Seems to shake and rattle on fast descents (pivots are fine). Total current weight is about 26.5 pounds.
    2) Marzocchi Z.2 atom sport, 80mm air/oil - low maintenance and reasonably stiff, no lockout;
    3) Fox Float/R without lockout;
    4) Deore disk brakes - not sure what an upgrade buys other than a few less grams;
    5) ZTR 355.1 Olympic rims on DT Swiss hubs, tubeless compatible. These are the shiniest parts of the bike. Very light and so far reliable.
    6) XT/LX shifter group with a Raceface Prodigy crankset;
    7) Time ATAC XS pedals.

Any thoughts? What would give the biggest bank for the buck? This bike will never be an all mountain ride, I know. A longer fork voids the frame warranty so there is a llimit to what can be done there- maybe an extension to 100mm.

I appreciate any wise words you might have on the topic.
    Thanks
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think you have a pretty descent bike if you ask me.

If you chose to change the frame it is very likely that you seatpost, front der. and bb will not be compatible with the new frame.

I guess if I were to upgrade the bike I would put my money into a new fork (ie Reba or MX Pro). You could lighten and stiffen things up with a new external bb crankset. Depending on you post, stem and bars you could upgrade there and save some weight as well. A good choice for stem and post is Thomson.

Those are my thoughts. Hope that helps in some way.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice! I have the same bike and what wondering what to do with mine...it's completely stock.

It doesn't make sense to me to strip the parts off the frame. The parts are nice, but not XTR. And the frame is the great part, such high quality. Keep that. The suspension setup bothers me...I'm thinking of doing a Fox RP shock...people have also done 100mm forks and loved it. There was an '01 Race on Atlanta Craigslist all builtup.

I guess your wheels aren't stock? Mine are Mavic X221, Deore Disc hubs with SRAM/Avid V-brakes.
    Have you changed out your saddle? I find the stock one uncomfortable, but I think it's gorgeous.

Here's mine:

Last edited by Roundel; 06-19-2007 at 09:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here's the one on Craigslist...funky polkadot theme..
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/bik/352446086.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'd keep it as is and save your money for a new ride, something like an ETS-X. I would imagine that you would appreciate the extra travel/plushness over the old Element on tough BC trails.

If you're going to upgrade, do the suspension, send the shock to Push Industries for a rebuild and throw something like the Reba on the front. I wouldn't worry about going to a 100mm fork, I'm sure you frame will be fine, besides, the warrantee is gone now. I've run a 105 mm MX Pro on my Rocky hardtail that was speced with an 80 and have had no problems, though I am light at 140lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would add a RP23 shock.

Check the main pivot bearing by disconnecting the seatstays from the chainstay, then wiggle the chainstay. If it has been ridden in the dirt and mud alot these bearings may be shot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Thanks for the replies Gentlemen

I've never used the forums before - thanks for your advice!

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by myounghusband
    Hi group, thanks for looking. I am at the point with my 2001 Rocky Mountain Element Race to decide whether to
    a) Take the useful parts off this bike and attach it to a new steed;
    b) Keep the current setup and upgrade a variety of parts;
    c) Purchase an all new bike.
    Money of course is an issue. This bike is for all round XC riding on Canada's West coast, e.g. Whistler and Squamish singletrack, plus some gentler North Shore rides. it is my only bike for local citizen class races
    The current bike setup, plus some comments:

1) Aluminum frame; 3" travel front and back. Single pivot. A good climber, average descender. Seems to shake and rattle on fast descents (pivots are fine). Total current weight is about 26.5 pounds.
    2) Marzocchi Z.2 atom sport, 80mm air/oil - low maintenance and reasonably stiff, no lockout;
    3) Fox Float/R without lockout;
    4) Deore disk brakes - not sure what an upgrade buys other than a few less grams;
    5) ZTR 355.1 Olympic rims on DT Swiss hubs, tubeless compatible. These are the shiniest parts of the bike. Very light and so far reliable.
    6) XT/LX shifter group with a Raceface Prodigy crankset;
    7) Time ATAC XS pedals.

Any thoughts? What would give the biggest bank for the buck? This bike will never be an all mountain ride, I know. A longer fork voids the frame warranty so there is a llimit to what can be done there- maybe an extension to 100mm.

I appreciate any wise words you might have on the topic.
    Thanks
    Mike
    1. If you like the bike, frame replacement not needed.
    2. Marz Fork. Measure or find the axle to crown height, you may find that 100mm Reba, Manitou R7 or like with lockout measures about the same. Might give you a little lighter, better performing fork.
    3. Get the Fox shock pushed. Gives you a platform to reduce bob at a little lower air pressure so you may getter better performance there too.

You have nice wheels, if the drivetrain, pedals, cockpit components are in good working order, no need for replacement.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a 2000 Instinct, which is pretty much the same frame. I upgraded my fork a few years ago and it was worth it. My Fox 80 RLC is noticeably plush compared to the original z.2 atom 80. My rear shock, Fox Float R, has lockout and I find myself using it a lot.
    I'm actually looking for a new bike. Mid-life crisis is an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Thanks again

I think the concensus is a fork upgrade, possibly a shock upgrade too.
    Thanks
    Mike

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    I would add a RP23 shock.

Check the main pivot bearing by disconnecting the seatstays from the chainstay, then wiggle the chainstay. If it has been ridden in the dirt and mud alot these bearings may be shot.
    +1 about the bearings.

I've been curious about the Marz rear shocks though. Cheaper than the Fox offerings and supposed to be more lively. Dunno much more than that, but the Rocky's were the 6.5 X 1.5 stroke size, so should be a pretty standad shock size.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...