Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    When you're in no-mans land, worried about mountain lions, crash and break your leg, you can still ride out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    Dion, You wouldn't happen to be a politician would you?
    You sure flapped your gums a lot and came up with nothing in the end. It's like you were trying to please everybody's opinion but had no real opinion of your own. Trying to please everybody in life is a way to conduct oneself.
    Nice!

My opinion is STFU with clipless vs flats and mind your business. Ride what works for you. Some people do awesome with clipless, some do awesome with flats. So, are you the d00chbag on the trail telling people what's wrong with their set-up?

If somebody asks, "Hey, why do you like clipless pedals?" I tell them... but I also don't go around trying to play captain-save-newb. And if they ask me, "Which is pedal is better?" I ask them "...what pedal do you feel best with?"

And... if somebody wants to try clipless, that's fine. If not, I don't go off on some soap box rant about how they are missing out on the spectacular advantages of riding these magical pedals.

So, there's my opinion - the best pedal type is the pedal the rider feels best with. Hope you can sleep well tonight. I'm perplexed why you were so adamant about knowing what my opinion is... I'm flattered that you took such care in expressing yourself in regards to little ol' me on a Saturday night.

Maybe I should run for office.
    Last edited by Dion; 11-10-2012 at 10:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Nice!

My opinion is STFU with clipless vs flats and mind your business. Ride what works for you. Some people do awesome with clipless, some do awesome with flats. So, are you the d00chbag on the trail telling people what's wrong with their set-up?

If somebody asks, "Hey, why do you like clipless pedals?" I tell them... but I also don't go around trying to play captain-save-newb. And if they ask me, "Which is pedal is better?" I ask them "...what pedal do you feel best with?"

And... if somebody wants to try clipless, that's fine. If not, I don't go off on some soap box rant about how they are missing out on the spectacular advantages of riding these magical pedals.

So, there's my opinion - the best pedal type is the pedal the rider feels best with. Hope you can sleep well tonight. I'm perplexed why you were so adamant about knowing what my opinion is... I'm flattered that you took such care in expressing yourself in regards to little
    ol' me on a Saturday night.

Maybe I should run for office.

Wow with a temper like that you will never make it as a politician. Which is how you came across in your first post. Do you really think people go around acting all high and mighty as to tell people what type of pedal they should be using out on the trail. What a dumb statement that was. This thread was simply a discussion on an internet forum. Discussing the differences and pros and cons between two pedal types. People will use what they use and it's nobody else's business what they choose. I'm really surprised you didn't add in a "look at me" bmx photo of yourself like you do in all your other posts. Like we are all impressed with your childhood antics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

If my wife rides clipless, her knee kills her and then she can't ride for a week. How is that an advantage?
    Same here, only it was an ankle injury years ago.

But besides the ankle, I always got hurt riding clipless, because I fall alot and couldn't always unclip. Plus, I found the entire clipped in thing very constraining. I constantly move my feet around while riding, I never found a clipless pedal that allowed me that much freedom. Personally, I would never tell a newb to go clipless. Of course, if they want to, I wouldn't tell them not to.

Andy B.
    Main Ride: '03 Cannondale Jekyll 600
    Other bikes in the stable: '11 Pugsley, '97 C'dale F700, '97 Uber V conversion

No Stranger to danger....
    Just my opinion, but id never recommend a new rider to go clipless, flats are the go for a new rider.
    With flats the rider has to learn the basics better like using their own momentum to get over things and just learning to control the bike better.
    And bailings alot easier for a newb on flats than clipped in, imo flats create better riders in general.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Just my opinion, but id never recommend a new rider to go clipless, flats are the go for a new rider.
    With flats the rider has to learn the basics better like using their own momentum to get over things and just learning to control the bike better.
    And bailings alot easier for a newb on flats than clipped in, imo flats create better riders in general.
    what a great answer. i spent half of this year (my first season riding) on flats, adamantly so, despite the goading i got from my riding buddies. i did it because i was more concerned with developing form and skills, than i was about being efficient. now that i have made the switch and been riding clipless for months, i clearly see an advantage and increase in personal performance. I also feel like somethings missing when I ride flats now.

BTW...@spindirt- enjoy your neg rep for dissing one of the more helpful members of the forum, just because you didnt like the answer he gave.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

You sure flapped your gums a lot and came up with nothing in the end. It's like you were trying to please everybody's opinion but had no real opinion of your own. Trying to please everybody in life is a way to conduct oneself.
    Spindirt, what sort of crap is this.
    Dion gave some great non bias advise and i thought he was very articulate and helpfull, if anybody knows about the topic here its Dion, not to mention at a young age he was a sponsored BMX freestyler doin things on flats you could only dream about, now as hes said he has had years on clipless, so i think he was pretty damn measured and experienced in his responce, mate your lookin the fool spindirt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    what a great answer. i spent half of this year (my first season riding) on flats, adamantly so, despite the goading i got from my riding buddies. i did it because i was more concerned with developing form and skills, than i was about being efficient. now that i have made the switch and been riding clipless for months, i clearly see an advantage and increase in personal performance. I also feel like somethings missing when I ride flats now.

BTW...@spindirt- enjoy your neg rep for dissing one of the more helpful members of the forum, just because you didnt like the answer he gave.
    Difference between a man and a boy. I gave my opinion of his response in this thread. I didn't run to the rep system and negative rep him. Nor did I run to the rep system and negative rep you for doing so to me. Let me guess as a kid you would hide behind conifers with your other bullying buddies and throw pine cones at fat kids.
    Must I remind you don't throw pine cones at fat kids.

^^ LOL, Spindirt the rep system was built to nail dudes like you, Big T didnt do it anonymously did he, how is he bullying you, he has built his rep through being a great contributer, just scroll up n look who got into somebody else for no other reason than to have a go at another, thats bullying mate, i havnt neged you yet but when i do my name will be there next to it..cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Dion gave some great non bias advise and i thought he was very articulate and helpfull, if anybody knows about the topic here its Dion, not to mention at a young age he was a sponsored BMX freestyler doin things on flats you could only dream about, now as hes said he has had years on clipless, so i think he was pretty damn measured and experienced in his responce, mate your lookin the fool spindirt.
    I know what contributions he gives to the boards and so doe's everyone else. It all revolves around "look at me" I was this good on a BMX bike. He posts a photo of himself in every thread. And none are lacking a bragging sentence or two. I'm looking forward to a photo or two showing up in this thread. Hell it's just a matter of time. Come to think about it the mumbo jumbo he spilled out pretty much covered all sides of the topic, to please all just like a politician. A " look at me photo" would be right in line with that.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Well, the inevitable has happened. An A vs B debate has turned into poo flinging. We should not lose sight that both options have a viable market. If this were not true, we would not have a range of offerings from many manufacturers.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I know what contributions he gives to the boards and so doe's everyone else. It all revolves around "look at me" I was this good on a BMX bike. He posts a photo of himself in every thread. And none are lacking a bragging sentence or two. I'm looking forward to a photo or two showing up in this thread. Hell it's just a matter of time. Come to think about it the mumbo jumbo he spilled out pretty much covered all sides of the topic, to please all just like a politician. A " look at me photo" would be right in line with that.
    It is time to give it a rest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ^^ LOL, Spindirt the rep system was built to nail dudes like you, Big T didnt do it anonymously did he, how is he bullying you, he has built his rep through being a great contributer, just scroll up n look who got into somebody else for no other reason than to have a go at another, thats bullying mate, i havnt neged you yet but when i do my name will be there next to it..cheers

^^^Also a form of bully / to join together.

Bullying / To use ones personal conceived power to overcome the weak and break them down. The rep system is to hide behind connifers and throw pinecones at fat kids. I feel like the fat kid right now. All of you bullying types are joining together to negative rep me. Must I remind you "don't throw pinecones at fat kids.
    Last edited by SpinDirt; 11-11-2012 at 07:11 AM.

banned
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    because it's not necessarily better, especially for a newbie
    ^this^

banned
    Nov 2012
    No, that is not the purpose of the rep system.

Try again.

banned
    Nov 2012
    Oh, my...

mtbr member
    Clipless pedals offer benefits for a skilled rider who is able to take advantage of them.

For a newbie, they can be a crutch that hides lack of skill, for example bunny hopping with an incorrect technique. At worst they can be a liability when you're only learning some things like wheelies and manual.

So there are pros and cons to each system.

I'm not saying flat pedals are an automatic way to better riding skills either. Regardless of your choice of pedals, you should train to improve your skills. If you fail that, it doesn't matter which pedals or other parts you bought from a shop.

mtbr member
    For the OP: tell them there is no right or wrong, its personal preference.

Ill tell ya one thing that DOES suck about clipless is getting back in after unintentionally disengaging, especially under speed trying to negotiate tricky terrain.

Someone call the clipless police and tell this guy he better get some new pedals to bunnyhop.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    Same here, only it was an ankle injury years ago.
    Ditto. Rode clipless for decades with no problems then got a new bike, put the saddle a smidge too high (I guess) and couldn't walk for a week. Felt like hyper-extension, space between my leg and foot. Got advice to lower my saddle, continued for a year or so, then did the same stupid thing and hurt it even worse. Went with flats after that and never looked back.

It surprises people how I'll pull up to the trailhead, slap on my helmet and take off riding while they're still there changing shoes too.

As for what other people use, whatever makes them happy tickles the piss out of me. I think it's good to encourage people to try clipless, because if fear of falling stops them from doing that, then what's fear going to do to them on all their rides?
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    ^^^Also a form of bully / to join together.

Bullying / To use ones personal conceived power to overcome the weak and break them down. The rep system is to hide behind connifers and throw pinecones at fat kids. I feel like the fat kid right now. All of you bullying types are joining together to negative rep me. Must I remind you "don't throw pinecones at fat kids.
    This so called bullying against you is just people's opinions, you're entitled to yours, but not everyone else's. Don't dish it if you can't take it.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

T.W.O.
    My wife is a newbie, and she rides flats. Due to a horrendous knee injury, she has to ride flats - her bike is fitted perfectly. That being said, I wouldn't recommend clipless to anyone, even though personally, I prefer clipless for mountain biking. I'm good with just letting people ride with what they feel comfortable with. Unless somebody asks me why I ride clipless, I'm not one to start telling people, "Oh... you ought to __________". I wouldn't ride my BMX or go dirt jumping with clipless pedals.

If somebody inquires, I tell them I like the pedal stroke, the feel... but it's a personal preference. Flats are cool, too. Not one has an advantage over the other - depends on the rider and what they ride better with.

If my wife rides clipless, her knee kills her and then she can't ride for a week. How is that an advantage?

Some riders will spend more time worrying about falling over with clipless pedals than actually riding well... there's no advantage in that. I'd prefer them just to stick to flat pedals.

Conversely, some riders will go to clipless and rock with them. Whatever works the best is the best pedal choice.
    wat I missed?

I know English is not exactly my first language but I thought Dion's position was clipless can be dangerous and for noob or avg rider there's no advantage over flats and vice versa, opposite to the popular believes that clipless is better and/or has the edge on pedaling efficiency. He likes clipless but not going to recommend to everyone just because.

Plus, Dion consistently contribute countless of valuable information to the forum members. From reading your later posts, looked to me like you have a personal beef with him

Suckin wind like a boss
    Haha spin dirt, if i was hiding behind the conifers throwing pine cones at the fat kids, as you suggest... Dare I say that not only would I have not called you out, I wouldn't have signed the neg rep.

No, I *was* the fat kid getting sh1t thrown at him as a youth. I don't need to play that way as an adult. Grow Up already.

Sent from somewhere not sitting on my ass in front of the computer.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

AZ
    banned
    Meow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Explaining benefits of clipless to newbies-untitled.jpg  

Give it a crank
    These clipless pedals are definitely better than flats.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Meow.
    Awww I mean AW YEAH!
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast