mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Experienced wrenches... internal cables and liner on Klein Attitude. Liners or no?

I am refurbing my old 2001 Klein Attitude.

It has internally routed cables. There are (at least parts of a) liner lining the cables where they exit at the BB. It is my understanding that those liners run the full length from where the cable enters to frame to the exit point, correct?

I have been told that you replace those liners with the cables. Seems obvious. However I have also been told that those liners are merely installation guides normally removed once the cables are strung. Seems somewhat plausible although then the cables would be rubbing the frame at the BB which isn't plausible at all. (Unless of course the couple inches of liner I see protruding there is only a few inches long).

So is it supposed to have full length liners? If so where do I find those? (It's all shimano cables and housings now).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have been riding an Adroit for a long time and never use the liners. The bottom bracket should have a plastic guide the cables slide through. The liners will collect mud and cause premature wear.

If you are having trouble installing the cables without the liner guides it is helpful to start with an uncut cable and bend the end to yearn for the opening. Takes patients.

FYI, if you want to get rid of those cables you can run a 33x16 magic gear.

DIY all the way
    I made Teflon liners for my '95 Attitude.
    Without the liners, the inner wire will drag on the tubing on an Attitude, at least on the model I have.

Magura

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I used liners in my Pinnacle for years without problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I managed a shop that sold Kleins. Use the full length liners, if they get dirty/sticky pull the cables squirt some lube down them, run the cables back and forth a few times, blow them out and you're good to go. They help protect the frame. Also make sure that the liners are not crossed inside of the frame, it will cause odd shifting behavior. We would get one once in a while from Klien that would have them crossed, a real head scratcher until you realized what was up.

Hi.
    I got my Klein Palomino frame without liners. Made re-threading the cables a bit of a pain. Not really necessary, but very convenient (unless your frame is like Magura's and you actually need them.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Good point on the frame protection. My Adroit has slight cable grooves, about 1mm, in the down tube from running without guides. The guides also quiet the cable slap when performing a down shift in the front.

mtbr member
    I have an Adroit converted to 700 road wheels as a singlespeed. Routing the cables on that thing was a *****. If I ever have to recable it , It's gonna be zip-tied to the outside.

No liners here except under the BB.
    When it was fully cabled, I ditched all the internal housings.

Correction - I "had" a liner under the BB. I now only have a front brake cable, no internal routing. No other cables used
    Last edited by SSdirt29; 10-11-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Texan
    Not on my 06 Attitude.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Not sure about liners. But to thread a steel cable through a aluminum frame, use a magnet, its a snap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by miniman View Post
    Also make sure that the liners are not crossed inside of the frame, it will cause odd shifting behavior. We would get one once in a while from Klien that would have them crossed, a real head scratcher until you realized what was up.
    I had this happen to me once a long time ago. I seem to remember shifting the rear derailleur would drop the front derailleur (or vise versa).

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnee 1 View Post
    Not sure about liners. But to thread a steel cable through a aluminum frame, use a magnet, its a snap.
    I tried that unsuccessfully on a few different occasions. My go-to technique involves taping some thread to the end of the cable and utilizing a vacuum cleaner to suck the thread out. It works really, really well and takes about 2 minutes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    cool.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You guys bring back some painful memories of when I first encountered one of those danged Kleins and spent hours just trying to thread a cable through it. I'm still scarred by the memory. The only thing that mitigates it are memories of a Klein in the window of a bike shop in Crested Butte way back at the beginning of modern mountain biking. It had a fade paint job that was way too sexy for 1986.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just added new cable housing to my 1993 Klein Rascal. Ordered off of Ebay. Kit includes steel cable to install with a magnet. Worked perfectly and they definitely protect the paint.

He be a moose too.
    The tubing is standard 1/8" nylon tubing, widely available. Tubing, Nylon, 1/8 In OD, 100 Ft, Clear - Nylon Tubing - Pipe and Tubing - 4HM09 : Grainger Industrial Supply I know 100 feet is a bit much, but just providing a reference for it. Flare the ends before you put it in. Heat up the ends and smoosh something larger into it to form a mushroom shape. To remove the tubing, use a small wood screw and thread it into the tubing and pull it out. Now, I've got a liner that has broken off in the down tube, haven't figure out how I'm going to get that out.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

1 mm liner?

I'm working on recabling one of my bikes (a road bike, sorry!) and I'm about to go bonkers trying to sort it out. Thought I'd see if anyone could help.

The bike has internal routing and after pulling the shifter cable housing I can see that there is a thin, clear housing liner that starts just inside the frame at the head tube and runs to the chainstay for the rear derailleur. I think the liner is built into the frame and *should* stay in place, but I don't want to pull the cable and drop the liner into the frame. It'll rattle forever.

My plan is to run a piece of very thin liner over the shift cable and inside the liner, then pull the cable and install the new one.

The problem is that the piece of liner I have for the job isn't long enough. AND I cannot find thin enough liner anywhere. The piece I have was leftover from a cabling job at a shop I was in. They gave it to me for free, but it's not long enough. AND I can't find it. I was told it was left over from a Nokon cabling job.

I even ordered 1.8 mm Jagwire housing off of ebay, but it's too wide to fit into the other liner.

I think I need 1mm diameter.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find around 5' of 1mm liner? I don't care if it's bike-specific or not.

About to lose my mind. Waited for this other liner to arrive, now it doesn't even fit. So I have 30 meters of 1.8mm liner sitting around Thought it would be narrow enough, but it wasn't. And I couldn't find anything thinner.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    nayr497 try mcmaster-carr, they have all sorts of tubing. It's mcmaster.com

LightJunction.com
    I'm a proponent of liners as well. If for no other reason, they make replacing your cables so much more convenient.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by miniman View Post
    nayr497 try mcmaster-carr, they have all sorts of tubing. It's mcmaster.com
    Cool! I ordered some tubing from them. Now...I wait a few days and see if it fits! Had to convert inches to millimeters and also had to estimate the liner I have, which works, using a metric ruler. Not the best for precision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I tried everything suggested trying to install the internally routed front D cable on my 2004 Klein Palomino (no internal tube guides). The cable entry holes are much smaller than those on my 94 Klein Pulse.....so tape and tying string, thread etc didn't work.

I finally used gravity....turned the bike on it's side and let the cable "find" the exit hole. Took about 3 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Experienced  wrenches... internal cables and liner on Klein Attitude.  Liners or no?-palomino-repose.jpg