Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    161

    Evolve XC Seatpost - no reviews. Thoughts?

    Race Face Evolve XC Seatpost - been around a couple years, but hasn't been added to the mtbr review section yet. It's tricky, because there's a section for the Evolve, which is different...

    The review listing is very strange, in that if you click reviews->seatposts->R you can't find it:
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/sea...41_820crx.aspx

    But if you search from Google, there's a de-linked listing:
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/Sea...74_141crx.aspx

    If you read the reviews, you quickly learn that the one-bolt design of the Evolve seatpost breaks immediately in the first few rides, and that you should throw it out if you don't want to die. However the Evolve is a different design than the Evolve XC...

    The XC version uses a bolt-and-collar setup, only reviews I can find are in the mtb press:
    http://www.asilvertouch.com/articles.php?id=168

    Anyone out there used this post that can offer a review? Does it try to kill you like the old Evolve one-bolt?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,892
    Quote Originally Posted by rollmonkey
    Race Face Evolve XC Seatpost - been around a couple years, but hasn't been added to the mtbr review section yet. It's tricky, because there's a section for the Evolve, which is different...

    The review listing is very strange, in that if you click reviews->seatposts->R you can't find it:
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/sea...41_820crx.aspx

    But if you search from Google, there's a de-linked listing:
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/Sea...74_141crx.aspx

    If you read the reviews, you quickly learn that the one-bolt design of the Evolve seatpost breaks immediately in the first few rides, and that you should throw it out if you don't want to die. However the Evolve is a different design than the Evolve XC...

    The XC version uses a bolt-and-collar setup, only reviews I can find are in the mtb press:
    http://www.asilvertouch.com/articles.php?id=168

    Anyone out there used this post that can offer a review? Does it try to kill you like the old Evolve one-bolt?
    I ran one for a bit, liked the ease-of-use.

    (flame suit on) When I broke a frame at the ST/TT junction, the MFG said my flexy seatpost/fat ass/sit-and-spin combo could have amplified the forces there. Given that a SP is the cost of shipping a bike, I picked up a thomson just to have an extra piece of mind.
    Yeah, that is the first time I had heard of anything like that either. They covered the frame, no problem

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    161

    That's a pretty good story

    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    MFG said my flexy seatpost/fat ass/sit-and-spin combo could have amplified the forces there. Given that a SP is the cost of shipping a bike, I picked up a thomson just to have an extra piece of mind.
    Wow, that is choice. Still I guess if they replaced your frame you escaped... wonder what your manufacturer's test standards were for "wiggly seatpost". Good thing they test all seatposts in the world, too bad they don't share the results.

  4. #4
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by rollmonkey
    Wow, that is choice. Still I guess if they replaced your frame you escaped... wonder what your manufacturer's test standards were for "wiggly seatpost". Good thing they test all seatposts in the world, too bad they don't share the results.
    I picked up a Evolve XC post a year ago for my main bike, which has six inches of travel. I stopped by Jenson's needing a post, and it was on sale. $30 for a 2014 post, and with RF's warranty, I was sold. I was running a Thomson post from my DH bike which was cut just a bit too short to be safe at full extension. I havn't noticed any difference in stiffness, and after almost 15 Super D and DH races, I had forgotten about it. It was supposed to be a temporary replacement untill I picked up something more "bling," but it turned out to be install and forget.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  5. #5
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,936
    I have one. It holds my seat on and adjusts and stuff. Bought it for my XC bike but then ended up using it on my Coiler. I liked it enough to buy a second one. I've fallen on it pretty hard and bent a few saddles but it's still working great.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,892
    Quote Originally Posted by rollmonkey
    Wow, that is choice. Still I guess if they replaced your frame you escaped... wonder what your manufacturer's test standards were for "wiggly seatpost". Good thing they test all seatposts in the world, too bad they don't share the results.
    They didn't say that the SP was solely responsible. They said they had seen this failure before, most often with people running carbon posts. They said that they had no problem warrantying the frames. I suppose that if they wanted to, they could require certain posts, but that probably makes more of a stink and complication than it is worth.

    Anyways, I will say that I much preferred the collar-adjustment system to the two-bolt design of the Thomson. So much easier to use. So much easier.

  7. #7
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,097
    Quote Originally Posted by rollmonkey
    Race Face Evolve XC Seatpost - been around a couple years, but hasn't been added to the mtbr review section yet. It's tricky, because there's a section for the Evolve, which is different...

    The review listing is very strange, in that if you click reviews->seatposts->R you can't find it:
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/sea...41_820crx.aspx

    But if you search from Google, there's a de-linked listing:
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/Sea...74_141crx.aspx

    If you read the reviews, you quickly learn that the one-bolt design of the Evolve seatpost breaks immediately in the first few rides, and that you should throw it out if you don't want to die. However the Evolve is a different design than the Evolve XC...

    The XC version uses a bolt-and-collar setup, only reviews I can find are in the mtb press:
    http://www.asilvertouch.com/articles.php?id=168

    Anyone out there used this post that can offer a review? Does it try to kill you like the old Evolve one-bolt?
    I find that unless there is some serious defect, pretty much all posts work the same, except for weight and some look better. I imagine on a HT that a CF post could give some dampening, but on suspension bikes I did not notice any difference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •