Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ever hit a deer (or other large animal) while riding?

Twice now in the past year I have almost t-boned a doe on the same trail network. Last evening was the closer call of the two. I came around a corner and she darted right in front of me, maybe missed her by 5 feet. Scared the hell outta me! At first I thought she was a coyote because she was small and more grayish colored than light brown. Took me a second to get my bearings and by then she was gone.

Anyone ever hit any big game or have close calls? I imagine it could be disastrous.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have been almost hit by a deer, scared up herd of elk, and stampeding wild burros being chased by dogs.

I like bikes.
    No.

But it depends if you hit it, or it hit you. If you hit it, not all that bad. If it hit you, could potentially be very bad.
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

Never Forget 9-11
    Nailed a squirrel a few times and a snake every now and then. Usually only hit a snake around a blind curve.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydogg View Post
    No.

But it depends if you hit it, or it hit you. If you hit it, not all that bad. If it hit you, could potentially be very bad.

Interesting. If I hit that deer last night I would have certainly gone OTB and for a wild ride (clipped in).
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That's funny, I almost hit a deer last night, same scenario, except I almost hit it from behind. Good thing it was quicker than I am. On the same ride, a squirrel ran into my front wheel and bounced off. I've also seem more snakes in the last week than I have in a long time.

I'm your density
    Maybe not "big" by most people's standards, but one of these flew in front of me and bounced off my glasses.

Tarantula hawk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    2 years ago I came around a sharp corner and saw this black dog laying in a ditch. It wasnt moving, so I stopped to make sure it was OK and it stood up. It wasnt a dog but a black bear! I took off up the trail and I looked back and it was running back down the trail at full speed. Got the HR up a bit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    A wild turkey. Just barely clipped him but scared the crap out of me.

I build my own.
    I hit a black bear... actually it hit me.
    I've spooked lots of deer. never came close to hitting one.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

official eMpTyBRain
    Squirrels and many trail lizards.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    I hit a June bug once...thank goodness it was going same direction as me and I passed it up!
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I hit a Wookie once, but it might have been a Sasquatch.
    I'm fairly sure it was a Wookie though since it tried to rip my arms off.

Workin for the weekend!
    Was nearly run over by a couple of Deer haulin the mail thru the woods... Was close, and man it woulda hurt...
    Todd

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    No,
    I did not a creature hit to date.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Ever hit a deer (or other large animal) while riding?

I almost hit a chipmunk today.. I was on this downhill section that goes into a jump that then goes into a left turn.. So this chipmunk runs right onto the top of the jump and just stands there.. I'm doing about 20mph towards it, going over rocks and roots and I'm thinking I dunno if I can stop im just going to skid. So I try to figure out if he's pointed to the left or right cause I figure I'll go behind him, he probably won't turn around.. Well, he's pointed towards the right and I aim left.. And yeah, he turns around so I go right, go over the jump and miss him, pointed the wrong way into the turn.. I lean the bike left and lock the back brakes up to try to stay on the trail and made it through the trees after slamming into one with my shoulder fd, and chainrings . I just finished straightening them out the best I could so I can go ride tomorrow. Looks like I'm gonna need some new chainrings though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Ran over an Armadillo once. Both tires. We both kept going.

mtbr member
    I've almost hit deer a few times but haven't yet. I had a black bear cub almost run into me once then it start running next to me keeping pace at about 20mph within touching distance. I finally hit the brakes and he ran in front and crossed the trail.

A couple weeks ago a local road cyclist was riding when a deer T-boned him. At first it seemed he was going to make it but then the swelling in his brain killed him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Twice. T-boned a 4pt buck on Mt Hamilton Rd @ about 40mph. Both of us tumbled down the road for a long bit. Worst part was laying on the ground, trying not to get stomped to death when he jumped up and tried to get away. Broken elbow, mild concussion and some decent road rash. Tagged a much smaller doe on Toyon trail in Fremont Older last year. Nothing major - just kind of scooped her up and carried her along for a few yards until I managed to stop.

In both cases, the deer jumped out onto the trail or road at the last second. The drop onto Mt Hamilton road was about 20 feet. All I saw was a brown blur right before impact.

I've also managed to hit a turkey last year (quick trip over the bars). The dogs are the biggest pain - or rather their humans with the 40' leash and zero concept of sharing the trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've almost hit deer a bunch of times, and an Owl cuffed me on the head once

almost hitting deer...I felt the heat of it 1 foot away and wow do they stink like a barnyard

Trailhead Poseur
    If we're talking just big animals, I nearly centerpunched a wild boar about a month ago. I was riding some narrow singletrack and it burst out of the undergrowth about two bike lengths ahead of me. I guess it saw me coming and thought it would be safer on the other side of the trail.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Fall 2012 - Park City Utah - Nearly sideswiped a Bull Moose...

After stopping and letting the Bull go by, the sow and yearling cruised by behind him...
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    I have had a Bat get stuck on my chest while bombing down a flowy single track at night. It attempted to fly away but my speed and body angle kept it trapped between my arms. I was finally able to stop after about 10 seconds. We both were happy to separate from each other.

mtbr member
    Wow some good ones in here. Glad all of you that actually hit (or got hit) an animal lived on to ride another day!
    2011 Trance x1

mtbr member
    I've almost clipped chipmunks a few times, a groundhog, and a 2 foot turtle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ever hit a deer (or other large animal) while riding?-img_0553.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast