mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Ever have a "funk" where you wreck a few rides in a row?

So the last 4 rides I have been out I wrecked. Two of the times pretty hard (hard enough I had a few days off the bike to heal, but not hard enough I was out for weeks).

Not sure what's going on. Do any of you ever go through a spell like that?

My wreck today was an OTB on the exact same damn rock I OTBed on three rides ago. Pretty technical trail. The ride before that I was sessioning a really nasty rock garden, so I wrecked a few times on it. And before that I got hung up on a big log roll that usually has a log on the back side to help with the exit angle, and the log was gone.

Not sure if all the wrecking is shaking my confidence or not...

One thing I noticed is that I OTBed twice on the same bike in the same spot. This is my single speed, and I just recently added a fork to it. I never once OTBed on that bike when it was rigid, and now with the 100mm Fox I have twice in a month! Maybe more air?

Any ideas to get over this? I am thinking maybe a couple "go fast" rides on some smooth single track (pretty rare near me here in Rocksylvania) might help?

AZ
    banned
    Change of scenery would alter the outlook.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Stay away from that area for a while, like you say go for some easier rides. get a better feel for the new fork. Do some easier technical stuff.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Out of all my riding friends i crash and bleed the least hands down. That being said around a month and a half ago i took some hit point loss crashing 3 out of 5 rides. Couple trips to urgent care, xrays, and even a weekend of no riding due to pain were no fun.

Laws of averages and all it was bound to happen i suppose, but looking back i think i had been getting more and more cocky. Im still riding as hard now, but i was painfully reminded how much it hurts to go down. Now i have that caution lurking in my head when i ride again rather than enthusiastically abandoning caution like i had started to do.

A little fear is healthy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Do any of you ever go through a spell like that?

no i dont. hope that helps.

mtbr member
    That's a FUNK? I thought it was normal riding!

Kick Start My Heart

Re: Ever have a "funk" where you wreck a few rides in a row?

It's almost like you get it on your head, 'I am gonna wreck', and there you go.
    When it happens, I get out of there for the day and do something or someplace else for a bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Warrior's Society
    They are like flats......crashes usually come in 3's.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Ever have a "funk" where you wreck a few rides in a row?

Quote Originally Posted by nate. View Post
    no i dont. hope that helps.
    Hard to have time to wreck as a full time mullet fisherman.

I guess if they come in threes I good to go then!

Change of venue for a ride and back to it methinks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes!
    Happened to me last summer, in July. Started crashing on a trail system I had been riding 3-4x a week steadily that summer. First a skid out and lots of gravel rash. Second one was bad, that was a full out crash that landed me in the ER with 12 stitches to my elbow. A few weeks later, I reopened the stitches on a different section of the same trail.

Turns out, I was in a complete life funk. I had a lot of stress at work- a new job I moved 500 miles for, and around the time of the ER trip, was actually "let go" after my 90-day probation at that job. I was overtrained and going to races so un-motivated I was partaking in the beer gardens midway through the race. I think those crashes were a wake-up call for me to slow down and get some things straightened out.

Long story short, I took some time off, got another job lined up, and stayed away from that trail system for a while. I did a lot of hiking. It helped, I have a better job now, and I'm not crashing as much this year (so far, fingers crossed!)

Good luck to you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    suspension forks can pack down causing the front end to go lower than you are used to. Maybe up the rebound on your fork? It is a balance between to much rebound =pogo stick and too little rebound = packing down.

There are days when I cant clear anything and crash a lot. A lot of times it is due to riding too many days in a row and being too tired for a particular trail. Generally I crash when I start to get fatigued and so dont have the energy to be as active on the bike.

Retro on Steroids
    I usually ride within my limits and stay on top of the bike. Haven't been OTB is quite a while. Couple of years ago I went OTB twice on the same ride. Both times I remember thinking, "This is gonna hurt," and both times came up without a scratch.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

Professional Crastinator
    New suspension fork + G-forces = high side

My buddy (who only ever wrecks in the urban environment for some reason), switched from rigid to suspension and flipped right off a high-G turn on a smooth, easy trail because he wasn't expecting the oversteer of the compressed fork.

Same goes for nose dives/endos.

As for "funk" - I had a whole season once. I even had to get 10 staples after crashing inside a bicycle store. That year I also fell off in the dark going really fast when I missed a turn and burned the palm out of my left glove and the side panel out of my shorts; slid down a shale riverbank tearing up my right arm; got poison ivy about 5X; and on one ride I lost my helmet (I think there is a gnome living in it to this day). My buddy attributed it all to flipping my stem upside down - in the mid '90's you just didn't do that.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I have a limited count for falls on a ride, 5; after the fifth one I pack my bags and leave.