Professional Crastinator

Ever Get Skunk-sprayed on a Ride?

Heading home late from the bar and I'm smelling skunk all around. Couldn't see any. Suddenly there's one right on the edge of the path. It pretty well ignored me.
    *whew*

Over the years we've seen plenty of skunks on night rides, and 4 of us even ran over a pair of them. Fortunately, no spray!
    (knock on wood)

Are they just that chill, or have I been super lucky?

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Get on your bike and ride
    They won't spray if they can't turn away from you, so keeping on their front side is best. I've seen dozens along the trail over the years but only been sprayed once. Definitely a good day to have on smooth leather or synthetic shoes. Suede leather (as far as I can tell) is a one exposure proposition.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Elitest thrill junkie
    No. That would suck.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

That makes me smart
    They won't spray you unless they absolutely have to.

I hope.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    You've been lucky. In most encounters they would rather turn and run away but if suddenly startled their instinct is to turn and spray. Years ago I lived in a large apartment complex. The laundry room was quite aways away down a curvy sidewalk with heavy vegetation and a hedge of bushes on one side. One night I'm heading down carrying a laundry basket. Came around a blind corner and came head on with a skunk about 10' away. I stopped and froze, he turned and I saw his tail go up. I turned and ran luckily I turned around a blind corner and the hedge of bushes took the spray. I barely escaped but he definitely sprayed. I got back to my apartment and told my girlfriend it was her night to do the laundry.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    OMG, not a problem where I live now, but I have been hit by a rattlesnake.

9 lives
    It's an easy exam. Just use your common scents.

Ever Get Skunk-sprayed on a Ride?-21271162_1635661926457985_7504178634311202220_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I came close once. Scared a skunk just beside the trail about 5ft from me. The skunk lifted its tail and I made a split second decision to just go for it. The skunk sprayed, but just behind my bike as I passed it. Split second slower and I would have taken the full load!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Heading home late from the bar and I'm smelling skunk all around. Couldn't see any. Suddenly there's one right
    Are they just that chill, or have I been super lucky?

-F
    Skunks are that chill because they are supremely confident and IME won't spray unless they deem it absolutely necessary.
    They get in out chicken coop all the time and my wife shoos them out, often getting within inches of them without worry as they waddle slowly and reluctantly away.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Nothing seems to kill me
    I did get sprayed once years ago training for the Courage Classic on a gravel beded trail south of the Springs, maybe the Santa Fe, can't remember. My brother and I were heading back in the late evening. It was getting pretty dark and we were riding through a small wooded area. My brother was about 50' behind me when I came around a corner and there was a skunk on either side of the trail ( yes 2 skunks). The moonlight made them glow like a beacon. I screamed "SKUNK" and raised my feet as high as I could. I thought I had made it safely through. My brother kept smelling it as he was down wind so we thought he had got hit. But nope it was me. I had a carbon El Diablo bike. I will tell you this, the smell you smell when you drive by a dead skunk is about 1/10th the smell of what it is like when you get directly skunked. The smell even soaked into my carbon frame and stunk for days.
    After trying several solutions ( tomato juice does not work ) it was dawn dish washing liquid and hydrogen peroxide combined that finally tamed the smell. It worked on me, my clothes and even the bike, although the bike took a lot of cleanings.
    Now I have a skunk that lives somewhere near my backyard and I see him a few times a week in the early am rooting in the grass, looking for grubs or something. I talked to him through my 2nd story window. He used to run, but now he just goes about his business.
    Hello, my name is human and I came down from the stars.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    Now I have a skunk that lives somewhere near my backyard and I see him a few times a week in the early am rooting in the grass, looking for grubs or something. I talked to him through my 2nd story window. He used to run, but now he just goes about his business.
    That is a bummer! But good to know about Dawn and the H2O2.

My neighbor let his lattice under his pool deck get a little neglected. I saw a skunk in my backyard, early morning, rooting around. He then retreated under my neighbor's pool deck. 1 week later, there were 2 skunks. I am now anxiously awaiting the arrival of several baby skunks.

-F

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No. That would suck.
    Yes. And it did suck.

I got hit years ago, right before dusk, while riding in Fort Collins, CO. The skunk had bedded down in a drainage (that the trail crossed). By the time I saw him, it was too late.

SOB got everything... helmet to shoes. Me, my bike, my clothes, all stunk. I think I ended up throwing away the clothes that I was wearing.

Tomato juice is an old wives tale... it does nothing.

The recipe in this guide from the University of Arkansas is your best bet if you (or your dog, or your bike, etc.) gets sprayed:

https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-9101.pdf

Homemade Solution
    If a person or pet is sprayed, take action quickly
    to remove the odor. If spray enters the eyes causing
    irritation or temporary blindness, first flush the eyes
    with cold water. Then apply the following homemade
    remedy, which was first reported by chemist Paul
    Krebaum of Lisle, Illinois, for use on pets.

• One quart of fresh, 3 percent hydrogen
    peroxide solution (use fresh, old hydrogen
    peroxide turns into water)
    • ¼ cup of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
    • 1 or 2 teaspoons of liquid dishwashing soap
    that is known for its degreasing qualities, or
    liquid laundry soap
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Yes. And it did suck.

I got hit years ago, right before dusk, while riding in Fort Collins, CO. The skunk had bedded down in a drainage (that the trail crossed). By the time I saw him, it was too late.

SOB got everything... helmet to shoes. Me, my bike, my clothes, all stunk. I think I ended up throwing away the clothes that I was wearing.

Tomato juice is an old wives tale... it does nothing.

The recipe in this guide from the University of Arkansas is your best bet if you (or your dog, or your bike, etc.) gets sprayed:

https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-9101.pdf
    I don't remember the baking soda, but this was over 10 years ago so that may have been in our formula also. Hopefully I never have to mix that concoction again.
    On another note, this little guy wandered into my garage last year while I was working on my bike. It was mid afternoon and he seemed out of it. He did not appear to even notice me. Went into my garage and stumbled around for about 15 minutes and then came back out and crawled under a bush. Must have been sick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ever Get Skunk-sprayed on a Ride?-20150713_171712.jpg  

I felt the need to give you a CR [courtesy rotate] Mr. Cup.

Ever Get Skunk-sprayed on a Ride?-img_3764.jpg

By the way that rambling skunk was most likely poisoned, judging by how he was acting.
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3764.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	1156158

By the way that rambling skunk was most likely poisoned, judging by how he was acting.
    Thank for the CR, How do you do it?
    Yes, maybe poisoned. He seemed confused. Not aggressive at all. When I first noticed him he was right behind. I turned around and about sh!t myself. He was only about 2-3 feet away. But was paying no attention. Staring off in the distance like he was posing for an album cover.

Thank for the CR, How do you do it?
    Yes, maybe poisoned. He seemed confused. Not aggressive at all. When I first noticed him he was right behind. I turned around and about sh!t myself. He was only about 2-3 feet away. But was paying no attention. Staring off in the distance like he was posing for an album cover.
    LOL

I'm on my phone and I can rotate them. I just save it to my photos then go in and edit a rotation. Then re-post it.

He's getting dizzy.
    MEver Get Skunk-sprayed on a Ride?-img_3764.jpg

mtbr member
    Ive been sprayed once, years ago. Totally sucks, I could see how if you were a baby or an old person it might really screw you up. I couldn't breathe or see for a few minutes. Tried tomato juice, didn't do a thing. I could smell it anytime I broke out in a sweat for 2 weeks

My dog gets sprayed a few times a year it seems. I keep a skunk kit now. Hydrogen Peroxide, baking soda, and dawn. Works great, especially if you get it fast.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Nothing seems to kill me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3764.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	1156158

Or maybe he smoked some skunk weed. Yes it took me that long to come up with that, lol
    Last edited by CUP-TON; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been close to a lot of them, but lucky so far.

Magically Delicious
    I have experienced the skunk on many trail occasions and been most fortunate to have never been sprayed, or even come close (me thinks). Most, if not all of my encounters were night riding.

I have also enjoyed the opportunity to sit and observe one within 5 or 6 feet of one or two perusing through my yard in the late evening or pre-dawn hours.

I took pleasure in making a loud 'hissing' sound just to get a rise out of them. They never reacted in a threatening manner, they would just 'freeze' until all was calm, then quietly resume their business.

I never felt any threat from them, but I maintained a tremendous respect for them.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    This thread stinks.

So about 4 days ago I drove right over a dead one on the highway. Knew it as soon as it was too late. Father in law's Suburban stunk bad inside for a good 10 miles, as I think I squirted more stink out of the stick sack/gland onto the car. Occupants (whole fam damly) were not pleased.

Deep down, if I'm being honest, I enjoyed the whole thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I grew up in So-Cal riding a BMX bike. One night my buddies and I sneaked into a local Nature Center (where we had no business) being late at night. This place was our own personal mini wilderness loop. We were flying down these little trails and creek crossings when all of a sudden I came upon a Skunk whom I must have scared the stink out of. I took a pretty direct hit, and think I crapped my pants. Hard to say which stunk worse. When I finally made it home I tossed my clothes on the roof it was so bad (from the Skunk). Our ride that night pretty much stunk.

This is a black and white subject.

mtbr member
    I got sprayed while running when I was in high school. No wonder why I hate running!

A couple guys regularly bring trail dogs on our weekly night rides, and they get have gotten sprayed a number of times.

Best (or worst) skunk encounter I know of was my buddy who's dog got sprayed on a late night ride. He had to drive home with his car windows open. He gets home, and lets the dog inside the house (indoor dog), and proceeds to take a shower to clean himself up first.

Meanwhile, the dog jumps into bed with his wife who was already asleep. He gets out of the shower, sees the dog in the bed, and thinks to himself, "she really hates being woken up." So he lets the dog stay there. In the morning, he leaves for early for work and wifey wakes up to skunked dog in the bed, and had to clean up the bedding and the dog.

How he remained married after that stunt, I'll never know.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Not a MTB story, but entertaining & instructive.

I was a boy scout at summer camp 45 years ago (yes, I'm that old). The tents had no floors & we slept on metal cots. The camper in my tent the previous week left some cracker crumbs in the ground & I had multiple visitations by skunks the first few nights.

My first awareness was being awoken by a sniffling & snuffling sound right under my cot. I was terrified, but peeled back the corner of my sleeping bag to see a set of faint white stripes wandering around underneath. My blood ran cold & i didn't dare move or make a sound. He came & went multiple times through the night (or maybe it was multiple skunks) & eventually I stopped being alarmed & even got a little sleep.

The second night, the visitations continued. At one point there were multiple skunks growling at each other, but nobody sprayed.

Nobody else in our campsite were being visited, but we heard that some of the counselors were feeding skunks regularly in their campsite a half mile away. My friends & I decided to set some snares about 100 yards downwind. We never caught a skunk, but our bait was gone every morning & the visitations to my tent stopped.

Soon after, a counsellor who was feeding skunks regularly had a skunk fight break out in his tent & he & all his belongings were badly sprayed. He was sent home & everybody was forbidden to feed animals or take crackers from the mess hall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Quick mobile anecdote:
    Had a skunk seemingly appear out of thin air in front of me on a downhill, facing me, tail up, during a night ride. I hit the brakes. My buddy behind me didn't see me stop. Clipped me and then went down hard. Broken helmet, blood, brief rage. Went back to his place and treated his (eventually diagnosed) concussion with too much alcohol.
    Memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Quick mobile anecdote:
    Had a skunk seemingly appear out of thin air in front of me on a downhill, facing me, tail up, during a night ride. I hit the brakes. My buddy behind me didn't see me stop. Clipped me and then went down hard. Broken helmet, blood, brief rage. Went back to his place and treated his (eventually diagnosed) concussion with too much alcohol.
    Memories.

So how did the skunk fair?

mtbr member
    So how did the skunk fair?
    It scurried away amidst the carnage. My friend still doubts its existence.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Or maybe he smoked some skunk weed. Yes it took me that long to come up with that, lol
    Or the skunk could of had rabies. They are common carries of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Charlie don't surf"

Give'er!
    I've come across one on the trail once, but I've never been sprayed. Yelling out "Skunk!" like a hyperactive three year old while 20' away pretty much took care of that scenario lol.

mtbr member
    I had a pet skunk once. He was pretty cool. There are skunk breeders too that sell skunks for pets. The one I had was descented.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I had a pet skunk once. He was pretty cool. There are skunk breeders too that sell skunks for pets. The one I had was descented.
    MTBR pet peeve...

decent
    descent
    de-scent?

Yeah, I got nothin' better to do right now.

-F

mtbr member
    Every single article I've read about taking out the scent gland of a skunk shows it "descent". So...yeah...that's all I got. Speeling definitely isn't one of my strengths.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    MTBR pet peeve...

decent
    descent
    de-scent?

Yeah, I got nothin' better to do right now.

-F
    Every single article I've read about taking out the scent gland of a skunk shows it "descent". So...yeah...that's all I got. Speeling definitely isn't one of my strengths.
    I think you are both wrong. I'm thinking it should be de-scent a skunk, no?