Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomy29er View Post
    Cool. When will the SR3 become available? I looked at photos of it and it appears that the things I didn't like about the SM3 on my road bike tests will be better for me with the SR3, at least from what I can garner from photos. I still want to try the SM3 on my new mtn bike, once it arrives (I haven't bothered trying it on my current bike, since that bike's such a poor fit for me to begin with and I doubt I could determine anything, either way).
    SR3 is a 2013 product. So expect it in late Spring 2013. Of course this is subject to change.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    For 2013 we will introduce 3 sizes for the SM3 mtb saddle and the SR3 road saddle. The current Small and Large will become Small and Medium in 2013. We will be adding a wider saddle in 2013. This will become the Large.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Thats awesome that you are changing the sizing. I appreciate buying a large after looking at the measurements only to realize it is far too narrow in real world application for my arse. Now it is really a medium after marketing as a large. You wanna exchange it for the right size?

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    Thats awesome that you are changing the sizing. I appreciate buying a large after looking at the measurements only to realize it is far too narrow in real world application for my arse. Now it is really a medium after marketing as a large. You wanna exchange it for the right size?
    In 2012, we have 2 saddles sizes, small and large. This is what is available in the 2012 SM3 and what was released in the saddle tech specs and marketing. There was no larger size, or did we hide this from the specs or buying options. As a consumer in 2012 you only had the option of small and large.

In 2013, we are releasing and updated SM3 and a new road saddle called the SR3. We will also introduce a new larger size. This is NEW for 2013, not available in 2012. Correct, we are keeping the current small size, but the 2012 large will be come the 2013 medium in favor of a NEW larger sized saddle.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    I understand it's new for 2013. What I am saying is that your marketing implied to me that this was a large size saddle when in reality, it is only medium width. Poor consumer decision on my part and I feel it is semi sketchy marketing on your part. It's cool, I will sell this one and may consider your real large next year.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    I understand it's new for 2013. What I am saying is that your marketing implied to me that this was a large size saddle when in reality, it is only medium width. Poor consumer decision on my part and I feel it is semi sketchy marketing on your part. It's cool, I will sell this one and may consider your real large next year.

You probably should be using the actual measurement of the saddle instead of random nomenclature imo.

mtbr member
    im so confused on which size i should get. S or L

i'm 5'10" with a waist of 33. Do you think I can go with a S?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    im so confused on which size i should get. S or L

i'm 5'10" with a waist of 33. Do you think I can go with a S?
    What's your sit bones measurement? I see so many people talking about their height and weight, which doesn't really have a whole lot to do with appropriate saddle size, otherwise average-sized women would always be on narrow saddles and men would be on wider saddles--which is the reverse of reality, mostly because women have wider pelvises and generally have wider sit bones to go with them. The rule of thumb that I've always been told is to take one's sit bone measurement and add 5-10mm to each side will get a saddle that fits well and won't have a person falling off either side. For instance, my sit bones are about 130mm apart, so I generally do well on saddles that are 140-150mm wide.
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Ergon Bike
    SM3-Dimension-Chart

Here are the 2012 SM3 saddle dimensions
    SM3-S: 287 L x 135 W
    SM3-L: 287 L x 146 W

Germany is in the process of releasing an online and mobile app to help pick the proper size based on the rider dimensions and intended rider use. We are pushing here in the USA for them to release this ASAP.

I do not have the 2013 saddle dimensions, as the saddle is not finalized for production.

Personally, I am 6 ft, have a 33" waist, weigh 165 lbs. I ride the SM3-L

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Last edited by ERGON; 10-10-2012 at 08:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm happily riding a small at 6 foot 180lbs.

I bought the small based on sit bone measurements. I was at the upper end for the small and the lower end for the large, since they overlap. Jeff from Ergon told me if that was the case to base the rest of the decision on how I liked the size of my current saddle. I liked my old saddle and it was narrow so I went with a small.

I'm never a small in anything, so my advice is to ignore S or L and pick based on sit bone measurements. Who knows, I may have been happy with a Large had I gone that way, but I am definitely happy with a small.

mtbr member
    Been ridding a regular SM3 on my hard tail and a Pro on my trail bike both in the small width for the last 4 months. By far the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden hands down. I was running a WTB Vigo on my trail bike and thought that I would never switch it out because of the comfortable all day sitting I got out of it. Well the Ergon is twice the saddle that the WTB was. I was using a Specialized Phenom on the hard tail and will never look back on that one. The Ergon flat out blows the Phenom out of the water. My only complaint is on the regular SM3 which has developed an annoing creak. The Pro has been flawless. Really wish I would have bought 2 Pros but as far as comfort they are the same. Maybe a little oil would fix the creak. I don't use Ergon's grips but from now on their saddles are all I will own.

mtbr member
    my ergon sm3-s arrived today. look forward to install it on my 2013 cannondale jekyll 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ergon SM3 saddle-img_0054.jpg  

Ergon SM3 saddle-img_0055.jpg  

Ergon SM3 saddle-img_0056.jpg  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    i upgraded my stock saddle tonight on my cannondale jekyll 3 and all i can say is wow.
    my butt thanks you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ergon SM3 saddle-img_0123.jpg  

Ergon SM3 saddle-img_0124.jpg  

Ergon SM3 saddle-img_0125.jpg  

Ergon SM3 saddle-img_0126.jpg  

Ergon SM3 saddle-img_0127.jpg  

Ergon SM3 saddle-img_0128.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have a question to ask you guys... Today I went to the specialized bike store in order to measure my seat bones... I am undecided if getting a specialized saddle or an ergon one..
    My sitbones were measured as 130 mms, so if I want to buy an ergon saddle, which size should I get???
    Last edited by Bikeboxer; 11-05-2012 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    For 2013 we will introduce 3 sizes for the SM3 mtb saddle
    Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    do you know roughly the width of the new large?

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeboxer View Post
    My sitbones were measured as 130 mms, so if I want to buy an ergon saddle, which size should I get???
    That's about what mine are and I'm on a L. A S would have had me falling off one side or the other. Rule of thumb is to have ~10mm on either side of one's sit bones. I think the L Ergon is 145-150ish, IIRC.
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    besides the addition of a third size (S,M and L), are there any other changes to the SM3 that make it worth waiting for the 2013 model (for endurance MTB racing)?

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by saltz View Post
    besides the addition of a third size (S,M and L), are there any other changes to the SM3 that make it worth waiting for the 2013 model (for endurance MTB racing)?
    The SM3 mtb saddle and the SR3 road saddle will use an updated foam for 2013. It is a highly developed German orthopedic foam found in high end running shoes.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

Your Best Friend
    So Jeff, I ordered one a few weeks ago and they were back ordered until the 15th or so of this month. Any chance mine will be a 2013? How would I know?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    So Jeff, I ordered one a few weeks ago and they were back ordered until the 15th or so of this month. Any chance mine will be a 2013? How would I know?
    The updated SM3 saddles will not arrive until March 2013

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

Your Best Friend
    Meh, oh well. I liked it enough spec'd as it was. I'm sure I'll be happy. If not, you'll hear all about it

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Love this saddle. Not sure what size I have... Large? I have the regular, came off of using a Spec. Henge - I think it was too narrow. But have used the WTB rocket and love the Ergon. Rode 7hrs in it and felt great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This really is a great saddle. Got one on ebay for half off and replaced the stock saddle on my RM 950. Noticed the difference immediately. Really supports your sit bones. Don't have any soreness after riding, which I would get with the stock saddle and my old Silverado. It feels like you are sitting on top of the saddle rather than the saddle wedging in your crack. The material is very slippery and it is very easy getting off the back. I have the pro large. Don't know why they are changing the foam- feels great as is. Nice work Ergon. If you get one, make sure the saddle is completely flat or angled slightly down.

Your Best Friend
    Mine made it in. SM3-L Pro Carbon. Weighed 206g. I put it on slightly nose down, almost imperceptible. Seems fine so far but with all the snow and mud outside I haven't been able to put any quality time on it yet.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Are the 2013 models of the SM3 with the updated foam in stock now at suppliers like BTI?
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Your Best Friend
    I spent a four day weekend in St. George Utah a couple weeks ago and put in over 80 miles. I never once had an issue getting back on the bike each morning, at least from a sore underside. That's a first. Score one for Ergon.

I did find that I spend more time up on the nose section of the saddle than the rear. I also found that I could just slide back a bit when I got tired and it felt like a complete change-up of sit pressure. This will make a great endurance saddle.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast