Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 108
  1. #51
    Ergon Bike
    Reputation: ERGON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomy29er View Post
    Take my review with a grain of salt, since I'm a girl and have thus far only tried the saddle on my road bike (because I've been looking for a REALLY T-shaped saddle with a relief dent, rather than a cut-out. I've had the best luck with the Bontrager InForm Affinity saddle, but it's not as T-shaped as it could be and my gracilis muscles always end up feeling pretty beat-up by the 50 mile mark).

    I have the size large base model saddle. It was good for a short ride, but on a longer ride I found it to not be as comfortable. It has a couple of ridges that run down the length of the saddle and by the end of a 30 miler I was REALLY feeling those ridges digging into my butt sort of midway between my sit-bones and my butt crack. The nose is a hair wide for road riding, as well.

    I think it could be a good saddle for mountain biking or cyclocross, though (and I plan to put it on my CX bikes for Fall races), since my hinder isn't actually on the saddle nearly as much. I really suspect the suspension built into the saddle would be great on rough singletrack and roots (I LOVED it on bumps and crap on our poorly-maintaned MI roads). I'll be interested to see if Ergon does eventually come out with a road-specific version of the saddle and how it might differ. With a few changes to the design (narrower nose, lose the ridges, keep the suspension feature) it would be perfect as a road saddle. It's as firm as the firmest road saddles I've used, which I like.
    Keep in mind the SM3 is a male and mtb specific saddle. Issues you have mentioned were also mentioned by our female Topeak-Ergon athletes.

    Road saddle on the way. It will be shown at Eurobike and Interbike

    Personally, as a rider/racer, I wear large sized bibs and have a 33 inch waist. I weigh in at 170 lbs. I ride the SM3-Small on the mtb and the SM3-L on the road bike.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA

  2. #52
    Falls-a-Lot
    Reputation: Zoomy29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    305
    I'll be interested in the road saddle, for certain. You guys are definitely on the right track with this, I think.

    As for size, there is no way the S would fit me. My sit bones are 130mm apart, so I'd be falling off one side or the other on the S. Generally saddles 145-150mm wide work well for me.
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

  3. #53
    WWJR
    Reputation: IH8MUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    460
    looking for the Ergon Pro Carbon Monolink... Anyone in the UK wanna send me one?
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    Keep in mind the SM3 is a male and mtb specific saddle. Issues you have mentioned were also mentioned by our female Topeak-Ergon athletes.

    Road saddle on the way. It will be shown at Eurobike and Interbike

    Personally, as a rider/racer, I wear large sized bibs and have a 33 inch waist. I weigh in at 170 lbs. I ride the SM3-Small on the mtb and the SM3-L on the road bike.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Im 5'9 160 pounds, 34 inch waist...I got a small pro carbon sm3 and this thing is torture. Any chance the large would work better? All I ride is single track.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by jrange View Post
    Im 5'9 160 pounds, 34 inch waist...I got a small pro carbon sm3 and this thing is torture. Any chance the large would work better? All I ride is single track.
    What specifically is wrong?

    I'm 6', 150#, 32" waist, but like wide saddles. The Large works well for me...but is a bit wide at times on the mountain bike, for when you need to get behind the saddle quickly.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    What specifically is wrong?

    I'm 6', 150#, 32" waist, but like wide saddles. The Large works well for me...but is a bit wide at times on the mountain bike, for when you need to get behind the saddle quickly.
    it is by far the most uncomfortable bike seat I have ever ridden....I love Ergon products and could not wait to get a hold of this seat. By the end of just a short ride I can't wait to get off the seat. I have read all these great reviews about how comfortable this seat is and just want to know what am I doing wrong?

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by jrange View Post
    it is by far the most uncomfortable bike seat I have ever ridden....I love Ergon products and could not wait to get a hold of this seat. By the end of just a short ride I can't wait to get off the seat. I have read all these great reviews about how comfortable this seat is and just want to know what am I doing wrong?
    Again--it is hard to know how to help unless you can explain what is sore, where it hurts, when, after how long, etc.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by jrange View Post
    it is by far the most uncomfortable bike seat I have ever ridden....I love Ergon products and could not wait to get a hold of this seat. By the end of just a short ride I can't wait to get off the seat. I have read all these great reviews about how comfortable this seat is and just want to know what am I doing wrong?
    I had the exact same experience. It is the only saddle that made me not want continue my ride. I prefer wide, flat saddles, and that hump on the sm3 was torture.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9
    My sit bones feel bruised, just wondering if the small is too narrow. might be on the inside of my sit bones.

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    38
    I ordered a pro carbon and I'm wondering if the carbon rail would be fine with my bontrager saddle bag? Everything in the bag weighs 1.48 lbs.

    The saddle will be at my door three days from now and I'm worried that so far the saddle doesn't have good reviews.

    To those who already bought and tried the saddle and was not satisfied of the outcome. Are you guys going to resell the item?

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    814
    As an owner of three various brand saddles that sit in a drawer unused, I will no longer buy one until I have had a chance to demo it. I went through my LBS and checked out a couple of saddles a year ago and put over 50 miles on each before settling on a Specialized saddle that fit. I would do the same for the Ergon. If my LBS can get a couple in for demo, I may give them a try. Other than that, I don’t recommend buying before trying.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

  12. #62
    Ergon Bike
    Reputation: ERGON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwanttorideatnight View Post
    I ordered a pro carbon and I'm wondering if the carbon rail would be fine with my bontrager saddle bag? Everything in the bag weighs 1.48 lbs.

    The saddle will be at my door three days from now and I'm worried that so far the saddle doesn't have good reviews.

    To those who already bought and tried the saddle and was not satisfied of the outcome. Are you guys going to resell the item?
    Yes, the carbon rails will be fine with the seat bag straps. We have had riders using seat bags in XC/Marathon races carrying small items like tubes and tool with no problems or excessive wear. Same goes for a few riders who did Tour Divide and the Colorado Trail Race carrying seatbags with up to 10+ lbs of gear.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Last edited by ERGON; 09-12-2012 at 08:35 AM.

  13. #63
    Ergon Bike
    Reputation: ERGON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    ....and that hump on the sm3 was torture.
    If you are contacting the "hump" or nose of the saddle while riding, you are sitting to far forward on the saddle. The nose should not be contacted, until you move forward to sit on the nose to climb steep terrain. The time here should not be long....minutes at that. For the remaining ride you should be siting back on the saddle. There is a sweet spot, and when the sit bones are in the right spot, you shouldn't feel the middle to front of the saddle. If you are feeling these spots, check the fore/aft as well as the saddle height.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA

  14. #64
    Ergon Bike
    Reputation: ERGON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    794
    Just to add my 2¢ and personal opinion as a rider....

    For mountain biking in XC, marathon, and 100-mile events, I use the SM3-S. This saddle works for me as I am on and off the saddle a lot.

    For longer than 100-mile events and road riding, I use the SM3-L. This riding tends to lead to more sitting, so the SM3-L offers more of a platform and comfort.

    This past weekend I used the SM3-L for the Vapor Trail 125. Without a doubt the SM3-L was what was needed for me to be in the Colorado backcountry for 13+ hours.

    In 2013, we will offer a road saddle as well as offer the road and mtb saddles in 3 sizes; Small, Medium, and Large.

    After Interbike next week, we will offer a demo program for consumers to try the saddle at their LBS. Dealers can see us at Interbike to get the details on the demo program.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    Yes, the carbon rails will be fine with the seat bag straps. We have had riders using seat bags in XC/Marathon races carrying small items like tubes and tool with no problems or excessive wear. Same goes for a few riders who did Tour Divide and the Colorado Trail Race carrying seatbags with up to 10+ lbs of gear.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA

    Thanks Jeff for your reply.

  16. #66
    Falls-a-Lot
    Reputation: Zoomy29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    In 2013, we will offer a road saddle as well as offer the road and mtb saddles in 3 sizes; Small, Medium, and Large.
    How will the sizing differ from the current S/L options?

    BTW, what is your sit bone measurement? Mine are 130ish, so I have the L (all the saddles that have worked for me have been 143-150mm wide). I doubt the S would work for me without falling off to one side or the other.
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LaLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    429
    So far I love mine. I've been riding it for about a month now, but, no rides over 10 miles yet. I haven't had any soreness related to the saddle or any of the usual break in soreness that usually comes with using a new saddle. For the record, It's the SM3 Pro Large. I'm 6'2" around the 270 mark most the time.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

  18. #68
    Ergon Bike
    Reputation: ERGON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomy29er View Post
    How will the sizing differ from the current S/L options?
    For 2013 we will introduce 3 sizes for the SM3 mtb saddle and the SR3 road saddle. The current Small and Large will become Small and Medium in 2013. We will be adding a wider saddle in 2013. This will become the Large.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    38
    I change the stock bonty saddle to a pro carbon. Road around for a few blocks and did a lot of seat adjustment. Initial impression, butt hurt. My height is 5'9" and 165 lbs. I feel that my stock saddle is more forgiving despite of its narrow shape. I'm still hoping that I will find the sweet spot or just sell it.






  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    54
    I picked up a SM3- Small about a month ago. My sit bones measured about 130. I'm 6 foot 185 lbs with a 35 waist. I went with the small because it was similar in size to my Gobi XM which I liked but had a cracked carbon rail.

    Rode it maybe 10-12 times between 1 and 2 hours. I had to move it around just a little but once I found the sweet spot it felt great. I was switching to a hardtail at the same time.

    I rode it Sunday for 9-1/2 hours in the Wet, Muddy, Rainy and for me, Long, Vermont 50. Best saddle ever for me. Never thought about it during the race, never felt the need to reapply chamois cream, never had a bit of butt pain.

    Your mileage may vary but for me this is the best saddle ever. Unfortunately I'm going to need three more to outfit the whole stable.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    45
    I wrote a review recently regarding my experience(s) with the SM3.

    Ergon SM3 (2012 Model) – Moutain Bike Saddle Review « One More Mile

    Take a look and let me know what you think. Hopefully people who are on the fence regarding this saddle will find this helpful.

    I know that saddle choice is kind of like underwear and that everyone has their own preference.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    54
    Good review and I agree with your findings. And after 50 miles on Sunday, 12 hours driving on Monday, I rode 45 minutes yesterday and it still felt comfortable.

    And it's true, saddles are like underwear with lots of personal preference. However, unlike underwear, I never ride without a saddle!

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Mutt View Post
    Good review and I agree with your findings. And after 50 miles on Sunday, 12 hours driving on Monday, I rode 45 minutes yesterday and it still felt comfortable.

    And it's true, saddles are like underwear with lots of personal preference. However, unlike underwear, I never ride without a saddle!
    LOL let us hope that you've never ridden without a saddle. That might be ummm...tragic to say the least.

  24. #74
    Falls-a-Lot
    Reputation: Zoomy29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    For 2013 we will introduce 3 sizes for the SM3 mtb saddle and the SR3 road saddle. The current Small and Large will become Small and Medium in 2013. We will be adding a wider saddle in 2013. This will become the Large.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Cool. When will the SR3 become available? I looked at photos of it and it appears that the things I didn't like about the SM3 on my road bike tests will be better for me with the SR3, at least from what I can garner from photos. I still want to try the SM3 on my new mtn bike, once it arrives (I haven't bothered trying it on my current bike, since that bike's such a poor fit for me to begin with and I doubt I could determine anything, either way).
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22
    I love the grips and if the saddle is as good as the grips it should be great.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •