Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,441

    Ergon GX1 grips cracking

    I'm now on my 2nd set of GX1 grips and both have cracked in the same pace on the left side grip only - seems to have cracked right about the metal internal support, on both pairs. Did a search and came across a similar thread, but it was old and didn't want to resurrect it. Below is a pic of the 2nd set which I just noticed cracked a little while ago, had them now about 7 months. Know this had been a problem with the original production of these grips, but anyone else have this issue with the new ones? First set I bought in 2008, so could have been from the original run and this set got just earlier this year. Think my next pair will be the GS1s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ergon GX1 grips cracking-p1060555-large-.jpg  

    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17
    I'm thinking of getting the GX2, your experience made me think twice. By the way, what's the difference between the GX1 and the GC1?

  3. #3
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,441
    I've actually not had this happen with the GX2s, only the GX1s. Don't let this throw you from getting some, maybe consider the GS2 which have a somewhat thicker padding to the GX, but not as much as the thicker originals - will be my next ones I get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonggo View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the GX2, your experience made me think twice. By the way, what's the difference between the GX1 and the GC1?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  4. #4
    Subject to Whimsy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    403
    I've had a set of the regular black GX-1's for about 3 years now with no problems such as you have.
    I have even trimmed them down to run with Gripshift.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9
    ignore this post - it was necessary for the rules - i apologise for it.

  6. #6
    Ergon Bike
    Reputation: ERGON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'm now on my 2nd set of GX1 grips and both have cracked in the same pace on the left side grip only - seems to have cracked right about the metal internal support, on both pairs. Did a search and came across a similar thread, but it was old and didn't want to resurrect it. Below is a pic of the 2nd set which I just noticed cracked a little while ago, had them now about 7 months. Know this had been a problem with the original production of these grips, but anyone else have this issue with the new ones? First set I bought in 2008, so could have been from the original run and this set got just earlier this year. Think my next pair will be the GS1s.
    This is a known issue with model year 2008 GX1 models. There was a running change mid-season 2008 to fix this issue. Also, this issue tended to be isolated to riders in warm/humid climates, for example, the southeast USA. Unless you are buying very old inventory, this shouldn't happen. We haven't had a GX1 cracking claim filed since late 2009. Also note, the GX Series is discontinued for 2012. The GS Series will be the stand alone race models.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chonggo
    By the way, what's the difference between the GX1 and the GC2?
    GX is a grip designed for racing. The GC2 grip is more for casual riding, touring, commuting, etc. GC2 (GP2 for 2012) has a barend.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA

  7. #7
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,441
    Um, how about Barbados in the Caribbean, I think that would qualify? Yeah, these were an old set I got off someone who had them I guess for a bit, never used. Strange thing, it's always the left side one that broke in my original pair I bought in Co in '08 and then on these Anyway, yeah know the GS series was introduced, didn't know that the GX was discontinued. Either way, fantastic grips, won't ride a bike without them.

    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    This is a known issue with model year 2008 GX1 models. There was a running change mid-season 2008 to fix this issue. Also, this issue tended to be isolated to riders in warm/humid climates, for example, the southeast USA. Unless you are buying very old inventory, this shouldn't happen. We haven't had a GX1 cracking claim filed since late 2009. Also note, the GX Series is discontinued for 2012. The GS Series will be the stand alone race models.

    GX is a grip designed for racing. The GC2 grip is more for casual riding, touring, commuting, etc. GC2 (GP2 for 2012) has a barend.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  8. #8
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    16,081
    Move along now nothing to see here.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-28-2011 at 06:29 PM.

  9. #9
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,441
    You must have done them something very bad if you've opted out of their mailing list and are still receiving SPAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I hope this happens to every one of these grips out there. And then Ergon goes bankrupt. That way I will stop getting SPAM e-mails from them.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  10. #10
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    16,081
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You must have done them something very bad if you've opted out of their mailing list and are still receiving SPAM.
    Nope! I have never even dealt with them before.

Similar Threads

  1. Ergon vs ESI grips
    By GRAVELBIKE in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 08:31 AM
  2. Ergon Grips!!
    By Doggity in forum Passion
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 12:00 PM
  3. Ergon Grips GR2 grips in Green?
    By jaxthedog in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 06:40 AM
  4. Ergon Grips
    By davidws in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 10:22 AM
  5. Ergon grips?
    By Jisch in forum Passion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •