MTB B'dos

Ergon GX1 grips cracking

I'm now on my 2nd set of GX1 grips and both have cracked in the same pace on the left side grip only - seems to have cracked right about the metal internal support, on both pairs. Did a search and came across a similar thread, but it was old and didn't want to resurrect it. Below is a pic of the 2nd set which I just noticed cracked a little while ago, had them now about 7 months. Know this had been a problem with the original production of these grips, but anyone else have this issue with the new ones? First set I bought in 2008, so could have been from the original run and this set got just earlier this year. Think my next pair will be the GS1s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ergon GX1 grips cracking-p1060555-large-.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm thinking of getting the GX2, your experience made me think twice. By the way, what's the difference between the GX1 and the GC1?

MTB B'dos
    I've actually not had this happen with the GX2s, only the GX1s. Don't let this throw you from getting some, maybe consider the GS2 which have a somewhat thicker padding to the GX, but not as much as the thicker originals - will be my next ones I get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonggo View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the GX2, your experience made me think twice. By the way, what's the difference between the GX1 and the GC1?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    I've had a set of the regular black GX-1's for about 3 years now with no problems such as you have.
    I have even trimmed them down to run with Gripshift.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ignore this post - it was necessary for the rules - i apologise for it.

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'm now on my 2nd set of GX1 grips and both have cracked in the same pace on the left side grip only - seems to have cracked right about the metal internal support, on both pairs. Did a search and came across a similar thread, but it was old and didn't want to resurrect it. Below is a pic of the 2nd set which I just noticed cracked a little while ago, had them now about 7 months. Know this had been a problem with the original production of these grips, but anyone else have this issue with the new ones? First set I bought in 2008, so could have been from the original run and this set got just earlier this year. Think my next pair will be the GS1s.
    This is a known issue with model year 2008 GX1 models. There was a running change mid-season 2008 to fix this issue. Also, this issue tended to be isolated to riders in warm/humid climates, for example, the southeast USA. Unless you are buying very old inventory, this shouldn't happen. We haven't had a GX1 cracking claim filed since late 2009. Also note, the GX Series is discontinued for 2012. The GS Series will be the stand alone race models.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonggo
    By the way, what's the difference between the GX1 and the GC2?
    GX is a grip designed for racing. The GC2 grip is more for casual riding, touring, commuting, etc. GC2 (GP2 for 2012) has a barend.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

MTB B'dos
    Um, how about Barbados in the Caribbean, I think that would qualify? Yeah, these were an old set I got off someone who had them I guess for a bit, never used. Strange thing, it's always the left side one that broke in my original pair I bought in Co in '08 and then on these Anyway, yeah know the GS series was introduced, didn't know that the GX was discontinued. Either way, fantastic grips, won't ride a bike without them.

Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    This is a known issue with model year 2008 GX1 models. There was a running change mid-season 2008 to fix this issue. Also, this issue tended to be isolated to riders in warm/humid climates, for example, the southeast USA. Unless you are buying very old inventory, this shouldn't happen. We haven't had a GX1 cracking claim filed since late 2009. Also note, the GX Series is discontinued for 2012. The GS Series will be the stand alone race models.

GX is a grip designed for racing. The GC2 grip is more for casual riding, touring, commuting, etc. GC2 (GP2 for 2012) has a barend.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Front Range, Colorado
    Move along now nothing to see here.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-28-2011 at 06:29 PM.

MTB B'dos
    You must have done them something very bad if you've opted out of their mailing list and are still receiving SPAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I hope this happens to every one of these grips out there. And then Ergon goes bankrupt. That way I will stop getting SPAM e-mails from them.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You must have done them something very bad if you've opted out of their mailing list and are still receiving SPAM.
    Nope! I have never even dealt with them before.