mtbr member

Ergon GC2 on carbon bars?

Can I use an Ergon GC2 on carbon handle bars? Most carbon bars don't recommend using bar ends, does this include built-in bar ends like the GC2?

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi
    Can I use an Ergon GC2 on carbon handle bars?
    Achtung!
    Ergon Bar Ends and Carbon Fiber Handlebar Compatibility.

We build Ergon products to very exacting standards. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers working with carbon fiber subscribe to these same levels of quality. Unless your carbon handlebar manufacturer lists specifically that their product will accept bar-ends, we do not recommend using Ergon bar ends on carbon handle bars.

Additionally, when installing our product on an acceptable quality carbon handlebar, we suggest that they be professionally installed using only the proper amount of torque. See our Owner's Manual.

And check handlebar manufacturer's Owner's Manual for their recommendations particularly if you are considering modifying their bar by shortening its length.

Ergon grips without bar ends will work with all standard handlebar materials.

Jeff
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Thanks for the very quick reply!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Ergon Grips and Monley Lite

I have these grips on an Easton Monkey Lite XC bar and haven't had any problems. They are a great grip. I also use SRAM XO twist shifters and the whole combination works really well.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Here is another great bar to try. Not a weight weenie bar but they are incredible and absorb shock like crazy. 50 year warranty. (Who else has that in the industry.)
    http://www.lpcomposites.com/thread.c...handlebars.htm
    I run these bars with ergon grips but with the more ergonomic bar ends from lp composites, the "Grips".
    Much better on the ulma nerve.
    http://www.lpcomposites.com/thread.c...be_barends.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Used 'em all last summer racing at Winter Park, with S Works (Specialized) carbon bars. After a short ride or two, check that they haven't loosened. As Ergon mentioned, proper torque.