mtbr member

Entry Level 29er - Giant or Specialized?

I'm looking for an entry level bike. Of these bikes, which would you recommend Giant Revel 1 29er, Giant Talon 1 29er, Specialized Rockhopper 29er of maybe a Carve? Riding would be singletracks, just riding to get in shape and enjoy the trails. The only other dealer in my area is a Trek. Thank you

Live 2 Ride
    I would say the Trek Marlin. I bought one this year and loved it.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Trek makes a lot of 29ers, I would
    check them out also.

mtbr member
    I am a big fan of Specialized...no real reason..but I like the Carve. Which one comes with rims that are tubeless-ready?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

ready to ride
    The only thing I have against Trek is the proprietary G2 forks. Its just an offset difference but their frames are designed around it. So upgrading your fork can be difficult or expensive.

Not exactly sure what your budget is but at the entry level price point closely compare components. Also not sure where you are riding but you mention "single track" and "trail" both of those scream something better than the stock suntour spring shock most entry level bikes come with. Well at least on my trails.

I've seen some pretty good deals to had around our shops lately. My advice is spend just more than you can afford and get the best bike up front instead of planning to upgrade later. If possible test ride as many as you can. If you are handy with a wrench and not concerned with a name brand you might consider bikesdirect or airborne. Typically you will get better components with a decent frame.
    Hell if you are looking at Carve I would take a close look at Airbornes Goblin at $1200 it has far superior components compared to the Carve comp at $1600

Live 2 Ride
    I never had any issues with the G2 geometry on the Marlin. Helped make the bike more nimble. The fork was decent, it had a lockout feature. SRAM S4 components. Decent bike for $600.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I have the Rockhopper and love it. It feels great, fits me well, and the Tektro hydraulic disc brakes blow the pants off any of the more expensive brakes on my other bikes. The other bonus was that it came with a RockShox Tora fork, which impressed the hell out of me, especially when I compare it to the way-more-expensive Fox that a friend is letting me borrow. The Tora is one hell of a "cheap" fork.

The big beef I had with the bike was the flexy Alex rims. I had a new wheelset built up after a while.

Not sure what stuff the Special ed you're looking at has on it, but I'd be willing to bet it's a sweet handling rig. Mine is.

I'm running mine as an SS, btw.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    I'm leaning towards a Specialized, I have a Specialized Sectuer road bike and really like the dealer. I'm going to check to see if there's any leftover models they have on sale. Thanks for the feedback.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100 View Post
    I'm leaning towards a Specialized, I have a Specialized Sectuer road bike and really like the dealer. I'm going to check to see if there's any leftover models they have on sale. Thanks for the feedback.
    If you bought the road bike from them, I'd go back to them and see if you can twist their arms for a better deal. What's the worst that would happen? He could simply say no.

Good luck!

-S

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This will really help you a lot:

1. Specialized RockHopper 29 Review, Camye - YouTube
    2. Giant talon 0 review: Jamie - YouTube

Note that Talon 0 and Talon 1 acts the same except the first one has way more better parts. Also check this site for other options.

29eronline's channel - YouTube

Live 2 Ride
    I thought he said entry level? I'm confused...

The Original Suspect
    I'd check this out too. This is a lot of bike for the money IMO.
    Airborne Bicycles. NEW Goblin

29ers Forever
    The Trek Cobia would probably fit your wants and needs best. It has the RS solo air Recon silver fork and a SRAM 3x10 speed. It is a great bike for the money.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Go for the Carve!! Ive beaten my 13' up pretty bad lol, still have no issues yet!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm heading to the Specialized dealer in a few.

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    Ideally, you need to ride each one and go with the one that fits you best. Parts can be upgraded. Geometry can't.

Having a great bike that doesn't fit you right will never be fun to ride. A cheap bike that fits you great will be fun to ride.

Ride each one until you figure out which fits you best, then get that model with the best components you can afford. You'll be much happier in the long run.