mtbr member
    Jan 2013

emergency repair, safety, backpack supplies list

As a new trail biking rider, can you help me put together a list of supplies and repair parts that I should carry for both medium and long rides, meaning 1-2 hrs off beaten path and at times, 3-4 hour rides. Supplies for my FS mtb bike.

I'm placing an order at jensenusa and want to get all my supplies but my list is short with spare tube, co2 cartridge to inflate, camelbak (need rec on which one) , bandaides, spare chain link??,

What else? Seems like I'm missing import stuff some of which I may need but not order from jensenusa

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Have you read this thread? Lot's of good info that you can tailor to your needs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I had already copied the link for that sticky before I even opened this thread. All you need to know about WHAT to take is in that thread.

As far as the Camelbak, the one thing I'll throw out there is to be sure to get one that is compact, but also offers a good bit of storage. Storage + good reviews on the store's website and you'll be just fine.
    Earnest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    butterfly closures are awesome for closing a wound when stitches are not an option

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Camelback mule NV is nice

mtbr member
    My Essentials: 1. Spare tube/patch kit 2. Mini Pump/CO2 3. Multitool/chain tool (spare link) 4. Zip ties/duct tape 5. Spoke wrench 6. Paper towels folded up in ziplock bag.

Spend a little extra on a good compact multitool. Mine is made by Crankbrothers and includes all the basic tools plus spoke wrench, chain breaker, tool to remove nut on presta valve (for tubeless setup). With the supplies listed above, with a good multitool, you can save yourself a long walk back to the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013