swag ho Administrator

Electric Mountain Bikes Article

IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Just found this too. Lovin the 'similar thread search' at the bottom of each post since it actually works now.

Electric Bikes on MTB Trails

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    looking at that thing.... why not just buy a dirtbike? the price point is probably in favor of the dirtbike anyways

100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    Having ridden many things with motors, atvs & dirtbikes, something about this really looks fun to me! You would totally lose the health benefits of turning the cranks, though. I'm sure it would be hellaexpensive. When i get into the $3000 & above price range, i would want an offroad 4 stroke dirt bike.
    -always thinking about the next ride-

mtbr member
    Wow. This should go well.....
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

AZ
    banned
    Motor = Motorcycle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I mean...it's got a motor and does 28 mph, freakishly fast for most trails and probably a hazard to everybody on the trail. Isn't it obvious it isn't a bicycle but a motorcycle?

I sometimes ride my mountain bikes on the Camp Claiborne multi-use trails near Alexandria, Louisiana. These are primarily for motorcycles and ATVs but mountain bikes are allowed. They are decent trails but they have been damaged for serious mountain biking with sand drifts and mud holes everywhere. Not a problem for motorized vehicles because those riders enjoy that kind of stuff and a quick twist of the throttle will get you over and through something that is a major obstacle for a mountain biker.

No problem with that. We have over a hundred miles of single track in the area where motorized vehicles are not allowed and everybody is happy and I have never heard an ATV driver demand access to our trails. Can you imagine the chaos and damage when they start allowing small motorcycles on them?

I don't buy the argument that motorized mountain bikes will let the handicapped mountain bike. Yes, it will give them better access to remote areas but it's not, repeat not, mountain biking but motorcycling. Why not pave the trails and put ramps in for hoveround access as well? We don't have to be so egalitarian that we must give everybody equal access to everything. The cost of admission to many remote areas is the skill, fitness, and ability get there. Not a bad thing.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    A lot of the MTB community has already done damage to our image. This won't help one bit. A bike with a motor like that is no different than a small motorcycle. No place for it on trails that have taken hours of hard work to maintain, get access to, and even keep open against other interests. Bad idea.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Flow like water
    Why does this scooter have pedals on it?

On level ground, would any of you actually pedal a 50 pound bike?
    How far would you pedal a 50 pound bike?

The pedals are a gimmick, designed to get these electric bikes into places where other motorcycles are not allowed.

These might be great fun in the right place. The right place is private parks or public places which already allow motorized vehicles. Private parks without lifts could rent them for use on their trails, for example.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    May 2011
    DavyRay, pedaling it extends the battery life. 50lbs isn't that heavy, I used to ride a 40lb bmx bike for miles and I could bunny hop a couple of vertical feet without problem. Now I have no problem riding my 35lb krampus 30+miles with no motor. My camelback weights about 15lbs(I carry a ton[sic] of stuff), so I am powering 50lbs of stuff up hills. The pedal option might make a battery good for 10 miles last 20+ miles.

I dislike the idea of sharing the trails with anything motorized. But we can't even keep gas powered motorcycles off our many miles of unofficial trails. i would love it if the gas-moto guys switched to e-moto, though this just might open the doors for more moto.

Since you've got all those circuits, you could presumably engineer it to not spin out like gas-motos do. this feature would seriously mitigate the tendency to shred(in the damage sense) trails when using a motor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    DavyRay, pedaling it extends the battery life. 50lbs isn't that heavy, I used to ride a 40lb bmx bike for miles and I could bunny hop a couple of vertical feet without problem. Now I have no problem riding my 35lb krampus 30+miles with no motor. My camelback weights about 15lbs(I carry a ton[sic] of stuff), so I am powering 50lbs of stuff up hills. The pedal option might make a battery good for 10 miles last 20+ miles.

I dislike the idea of sharing the trails with anything motorized. But we can't even keep gas powered motorcycles off our many miles of unofficial trails. i would love it if the gas-moto guys switched to e-moto, though this just might open the doors for more moto.

Since you've got all those circuits, you could presumably engineer it to not spin out like gas-motos do. this feature would seriously mitigate the tendency to shred(in the damage sense) trails when using a motor.
    50 pounds is a boat anchor. I am no weight weenie but good Lord! That would wear me out. Even the bikes from the 1950s didn't weigh that much.