Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Trail Connoisseur

Electric Bikes on MTB Trails

Saw another electric mountain bike on the trail the other day. It got me thinking, do I care about this? Am I going to start seeing a bunch of fat rich dudes (no offense to large or wealthy riders who pedal) who don't pedal ripping down our trails? Can someone give me some perspective here? Do I call the ranger 'cause the trail clearly states no motorized vehicles?

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    If he was talking on his cell while sipping a latte, throwing the wrapper from his deluxe triple bypass lardburger on the trail, and/or being a regular ******, then I definately would call him in. If he was just out enjoying the trail, prolly wouldn't worry about it.

local trails rider
    Do you have any local/state/whatever statutes that define what is a motorized vehicle and what is a bicycle?

Where I live, bicycles with low powered electric motors count as bicycles, as long as they only power you while you pedal and stop helping you by the time you hit about 15 mph.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

see me rollin, they hatin
    tell me more about these electrobikes. i've heard of electric shifting (is it really THAT hard to shift on your own?) but are they like those commuters that help you forward?
    fap

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    tell me more about these electrobikes. i've heard of electric shifting (is it really THAT hard to shift on your own?) but are they like those commuters that help you forward?
    It was making him haul butt. I looked them up and found them on eBay for about $6k. They have a 5000 watt motor. That's seriuos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    well... what about handicapped people who want to ride around in the trails? i've seen a few of those chinese motored mountain bikes in the trails around here. i think the man problem with dirt bikes and atvs is that they ruin the trail due to their weight, big tires, and high amount of torque. but if they're not spinning out ruining the trail, i really don't care. its not a pleasant sound to hear, a motor, but electric is silent so that's even better. i say live and let live.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    It was making him haul butt. I looked them up and found them on eBay for about $6k. They have a 5000 watt motor. That's seriuos.
    Sounds motorized to me. Way more power than I had when I was 15 or 16

(not my photo: just found one that looks just like what I had)

source: Helkama Raisu 83: heinäkuu 2010

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Does it have enough tear up the trail? If not then no harm no foul.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    well... what about handicapped people who want to ride around in the trails? i've seen a few of those chinese motored mountain bikes in the trails around here. i think the man problem with dirt bikes and atvs is that they ruin the trail due to their weight, big tires, and high amount of torque. but if they're not spinning out ruining the trail, i really don't care. its not a pleasant sound to hear, a motor, but electric is silent so that's even better. i say live and let live.
    There are lots of ways for handicapped people to MTB without a motor.

It was hardly silent but quieter than a gas engine.

A 4000 or 5000 watt motor is plenty of power to pill out and I would add that the extra weight and speed could result in a lot of skidding. These would be controllable by the rider. I could ride my motorcycle down lots of trails and not do any damage if that was my only concern. It doesn't mean cautious motorcyclers should be on the trail either.

bust a move
    When one comes up from behind while I'm climbing and starts wanting by I will probably have a problem with it. May lead to trail courtesy issues...maybe others too. When the batteries die about 10 miles out it won't be so much fun as they beg human powered mtb'ers to save them.

How long until they have a 32inch wheel version at Walmart?.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Saw another electric mountain bike on the trail the other day. It got me thinking, do I care about this? Am I going to start seeing a bunch of fat rich dudes (no offense to large or wealthy riders who pedal) who don't pedal ripping down our trails? Can someone give me some perspective here? Do I call the ranger 'cause the trail clearly states no motorized vehicles?
    This was argues at length on the electric bike board.

I think they should be considered motorized for purposes of trail use.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There are lots of ways for handicapped people to MTB without a motor.

It was hardly silent but quieter than a gas engine.

A 4000 or 5000 watt motor is plenty of power to pill out and I would add that the extra weight and speed could result in a lot of skidding. These would be controllable by the rider. I could ride my motorcycle down lots of trails and not do any damage if that was my only concern. It doesn't mean cautious motorcyclers should be on the trail either.
    thats true, but having dirt bikes and mtbs next to each other is dangerous for many reasons. weight is an issue, people can get injured if somebody loses control of a dirt bike, and things like that. plus the speed issue. if the bike only goes 15mph, that's not terribly fast. my average pace is like 10 according to my gps at one of my trails, so if something was going slightly faster than me, i don't think i'd mind.

if your biggest concern is people needing help with dead batteries......that can be an excuse to not do anything there at all lol.. there's so many reasons i've seen people need help in the trails, whether its broken collar bones or flat tires.

i dunno... i'm on the fence about motorized bikes. as long as they don't do any damage, and don't hurt anyone else, i say whatever. if a motor's pushing a bike, or if you're pedaling it, its still a bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I saw video posted a few months back of one of these things getting clocked going up hill on asphalt at 45mph. There is a 10,000 watt version that will do 55 and was supposed to be released in march. Do a youtube serach and you will find a lot of videos.

Trail Connoisseur
    This could be a non-issue, it could become something down the road. Either way I'm going to call the County that manages that trail and see what there stance is.

It's about showing up.
    Wheeled vehicles are funny things. Any clown can get on a bike and do 25 mph. I takes a skilled rider to manage what happens when things go awry. That said, a rider who pedals out 5-10 miles and a rider who motors electrically out 5-10 miles may be very different riders.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Do we want to go after the fat lazy shuttlers as well

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Do we want to go after the fat lazy shuttlers as well
    I don't want to "go after" anyone, just have a dialogue.

AZ
    banned
    I would think that shame and ridicule would keep most of them off of the trails.

mtbr member
    Personally, I'd never use them. The human body is way more reliable than an electric bike motor, and who would want to spend that much $? To me, it seems like a foolish and rather lazy alternative to human pedal power. Electric motors are wonderful for cars and other large vehicles, though (assuming you can afford the high electric bill).
    Noise would be a concern for me and the wildlife. And yeah, it could certainly lead to trail courtesy issues.
    I would call the ranger because it technically counts as a motorized vehicle.
    Around here, it's illegal to ride ANY motorized vehicle on the trails (you could wind up paying a nasty fine or getting sued). And because there are horseback riders that also use the trails, an electric motor would probably scare the daylights out of the poor horses.
    "Be prepared, not scared"
    ~Cody Lundin

"What is stronger, fear or hope?"
    ~Lance Armstrong

mtbr member
    It'd surely change the experience but can't see why one would mind them. As long as they're not tearing stuff up badly. Guess it depends on how much power and added weight but could even be fun. I see electric assist is getting pretty popular in some places on commuters and whatnot.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I just saw a guy on a bike with electric motors this past weekend. I was going one way, he the other on a rocky piece of New England single track. When we crossed, I saw these crazy hubs on his bike and immediately turned around asked him to hold up a sec. I had to know what on earth I was looking at!

He was a heavy set, older gentleman. A nice enough guy who happily told me about his bike. Dual motors, front and back with the power button mounted up by the gear change. He rode it like a regular bike until he got to hills which he couldn't climb, at which point he'd hit the button for assistance. He claimed what was once a 10 mile limit for him he can now stretch out to 20 or 30. He certainly seemed pretty stoked to be out there.

From what I saw, this guy's riding wouldn't be a problem for anybody. He was traveling at normal bike speed. In fact, I would have never known it he was electrically assisted unless the motors had caught my eye.

Maybe that's a best case scenario for electric bikes out on the trails, but I was impressed with the guy's enthusiasm for "riding". Even though he claimed he could do 10 miles by himself, I'm not real sure he would be out there at all if it weren't for the motors.

'Tis but a scratch
    Live and let live...if its not effecting you, let it go. I wouldn't call the Ranger unless it started to cause some sort of real problem impacting other trail users. My $0.02.

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    Live and let live...if its not effecting you, let it go. I wouldn't call the Ranger unless it started to cause some sort of real problem impacting other trail users. My $0.02.
    I think this is the way I'm leaning here too. Just took some time to think it through.

Land managers need a policy regarding these things, like the one mentioned earlier in this thread.

At which point does the electricity cease to be a simple assist feature and become the main power of the thing? When does it simply become an electric motorcycle?

The overpowered ones that can hit 50mph without pedal input are obviously excessive for use on singletrack trails but what is okay? Land managers need to consider these things and say yay or nay and set some boundaries.

I doubt they will become enormously popular anytime soon but if gasoline prices get too excessive for the moto crowd, electric mountain bikes will start getting more popular and it may become an issue that gets out of control where there are no boundaries in place for these things.

I can see a relatively low powered electricity assist being labeled as a mobility assistive device under the ADA. But a high powered motor being considered an electric motorcycle. How hard would that be for land managers to enforce?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This is brilliant, how lazy do people get !

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast