Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I got into mountain biking this year big time hitting trails in my area, mostly alone because all my friends are to lame to go. So I been doing my thing on the trails having a blast, when one of my childhood friend calls my and says he going to start riding the trails with me, he is getting a Motoped and he is excited about it!!!

What a D bag. I been busting balls getting in shape, in this guy who is in good shape, wants to ride bike trails on a dirt bike. I told him I wouldn't ride with him with that, and if he wants to ride drag out your 20 year old trek 7000 and lets go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I feel lucky enough to live in an area where you cant ride the trails with anything powered other than human powered bicycles..
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    This is only the beginning. Hybrid bikes that store energy from braking that look like and are as light as mountain bikes today will be coming in the future.

Why so pessimistic?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G0at View Post
    If he was talking on his cell while sipping a latte, throwing the wrapper from his deluxe triple bypass lardburger on the trail, and/or being a regular ******, then I definately would call him in. If he was just out enjoying the trail, prolly wouldn't worry about it.
    Funny as hell dude!

AZ
    banned
    These E bikes will lead to the loss of trail access for MTBers, you can bank on it. It's not enough that we have to counter the often negative perception that some already have, now motorized vehicles cloaked as bicycles will add to that perception. The tree huggers and Sierra Club are sharpening their knives as you read this. As an aside, I find it to be insulting that MTBR promotes E-bikes in the name of revenues while speaking out of the other side of their proverbial mouths to promote trail access.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Americans. Do you guys hear yourselves? Gees some of you guys sound like simple haters/purest/"I would report them"whiners. Actually, kinda like Amish.

-Scare Horses-My bike is quieter than most freewheels
    -Lazy- FU. I don't have to take a ski lift. If your only reason for dislike is that you are putty legs after an up hill, then....
    -Too heavy-me and my bike are 220#

Don't knock it, until you try it. Keep your "Go Fast Muscle"/PED's. And my MANY tax $'s go to state an Fed trails too.
    Last edited by JCON2009; 09-23-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: sp

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Have you guys seen the KTM E-bike. That is the future. Imagine the backlash when those things try to hit the mountain bike trails. Haha, I doubt you would ever see that, but they are cool

First ever ELECTRIC-MX race at ZOLDER - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JCON2009 View Post
    Americans. Do you guys hear yourselves? Gees some of you guys sound like simple haters/purest/"I would report them"whiners. Actually, kinda like Amish.

-Lazy- FU. I don't have to take a ski lift. If your only reason for dislike is that you are putty legs after an up hill, then....

Don't knock it, until you try it. Keep your "Go Fast Muscle"/PED's. And my MANY tax $'s go to state an Fed trails too.
    Sounds like someone didnt get the response they were expecting..

Id say go out and ride to relieve some of that stress.. but....
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    May 2006

no motorized vehicles allowed on trails here...that ain't probably changing much...

The do give quite a bit of latitiude to crippled people though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    no motorized vehicles allowed on trails here...that ain't probably changing much...

The do give quite a bit of latitiude to crippled people though.
    One of my local trails has been making some of the trail system to Adaptive Mountain Bike Trails (Mountain Biking | Adaptive sports for anyone with a disability | Disabled Sports USA). They make some of the single tracks wider..

There is a local guy who lost both legs and uses a cycle which he pedals with his arms.. he still can ride, and still no electric assist...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So is that it? You just don't want anyone with a technical advantage riding on "'your" trails? Everyone should sweat just like you, right?

From the comments, I gather the haters have never seen one in person. Or they did, and didn't know it.

Guess I should I go back to Persimmons and leave my R1 at home too? Hickory sticks maybe?

mtbr member
    Guess I should I go back to Persimmons and leave my R1 at home too? Hickory sticks maybe?
    Your analogy makes no sense in this context, seems more like a steel vs. carbon fiber argument. A better one would be your R1 vs. a golf ball cannon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So is that it? You just don't want anyone with a technical advantage riding on "'your" trails? Everyone should sweat just like you, right?

From the comments, I gather the haters have never seen one in person. Or they did, and didn't know it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Your analogy makes no sense in this context, seems more like a steel vs. carbon fiber argument. A better one would be your R1 vs. a golf ball cannon.
    and I think thats why he doesnt understand. The guy sees this topic and joins the site with the intent on responding.. Since he isnt a cycling enthusiast, he simply doesnt get the culture.

It seems he is into golf, so your analogy might click in his mind..

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    For the record. I do own a Nerf football cannon(it's awesome).
    I'm just saying.. If you can't hear me, 0 emissions, same trail impact, and the only place a speed advantage is felt is upline(my 10mph vs your ?mph) what's the biggie?

I do not wish to add any more fuel to the flaming. I'm on your team, and I didn't mean to came across like a d1ck.. I've ridden bikes all of my life. I had a PK Ripper when ET came out. I just got my ebike and love it. I didn't come to this forum to start fights. I was going to ask for suspension suggestions, and thought I'd do a search to make sure my question wasn't asked before. That's how I came to this thread to begin with. I had no idea there were such negative feelings toward hybrid bikes. I had 3 smudges on my "reputation before I knew it.

AZ
    banned
    what's the biggie?

It opens the door to 50 mph e dirt bikes, trail destruction and conflict with other user groups. And it most assuredly leads down the road to trail closures and exclusion of mtbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    and I think thats why he doesnt understand. The guy sees this topic and joins the site with the intent on responding.. Since he isnt a cycling enthusiast, he simply doesnt get the culture.

It seems he is into golf, so your analogy might click in his mind..
    Not at all(I was typing my response as you posted this I explained why I joined). You jumped me. Why?
    I've been riding for awhile. How old are you mr. super enthusiast ? I'm probably into lots of things that don't interest you(paintball, *, etc)

AZ
    banned
    Not at all(I was typing my response as you posted this I explained why I joined). You jumped me. Why?
    I've been riding for awhile. How old are you mr. super enthusiast ? I'm probably into lots of things that don't interest you(paintball, girls, etc)

Why respond with backhanded insults? And don't complain about bad rep as long as you respond in that manner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Why respond with backhanded insults? And don't complain about bad rep as long as you respond in that manner.
    You are right(finally

Ride Instigator
    It opens the door to 50 mph e dirt bikes, trail destruction and conflict with other user groups. And it most assuredly leads down the road to trail closures and exclusion of mtbs.
    This is exactly my concern, it's a slippery slope and if you allow access to small, low powered electric motorized bikes you are opening the door for the high powered E Bikes gain access. No motorized means NO MOTORIZED of any kind...zero tolerance!

No motorized access means NO MOTORIZED ACCESS. Sure, the mass market production ebikes don't really offer that much motorized assist most of the time, but there are already models and kits out there that lack the (legally REQUIRED) speed governor to limit them to reasonable speeds. I said it before in this thread and I'll repeat it:

Land managers need easy to enforce regulations. "No motorized vehicles" is a helluva lot easier to enforce than "No motorized vehicles that can exceed 20mph on flat, paved ground" or something equally convoluted. If ebike riders aren't idiots, they'll likely slip under the radar. But the first time someone with an ebike causes a serious incident or requires an evac, you'll bet land managers won't be so forgiving about that "no motorized vehicles" rule that they have been allowing you to bend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I've been riding for awhile. How old are you mr. super enthusiast ? I'm probably into lots of things that don't interest you(paintball, *, etc)
    After that post, are you really wondering why anyone "jumped" you? Im in my mid-30s.. not that it matters, since intelligence doesnt correspond with age, post count, MTBR join date, etc...

and im into things other than biking too.. like motorcycles. Yet id never want anything motorized on a mountain bike trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Seriously, Dude. This is a mountain bike forum. Suppose you went to a hiking forum and suggested that you're gonna' ride your Segway on the hiking trails and then got offended when the hikers pointed out that your recreational activity, while interesting and exciting to you, is not really hiking.

Similarly, eBikes are nice inventions but they aren't really bicycles in the traditional sense and as they can range from simple electric assist to essentially low-powered motorcycles it is not unreasonable for mountain bikers to question their use on trails.

I live in ATV land. People here work hard so they generally don't want to work hard for recreation and express their love of the outdoors by riding in the woods on motorized vehicles. There are plenty of trails where you can do this...how about taking your eBike to one of those?

As to not tolerating anybody with a technical advantage, the point of mountain-biking is to get out there and sweat a little, the amount of which depends on how hard you want to go. We have easy trails around here on which whole families may take their occasional Saturday ride on their department store bikes as well as steep, difficult trails that are challenging enough to intimidate regular riders. The price of admission is nothing but some sweat and effort; maybe if you can't climb steep grades for an hour you don't need to be on that particular trail.

Heck, why not just pave the trails, install elevators, and remove every possible challenge that would prevent some out-of-shape rider from completing his ride?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a Stealth Fighter(69lbs and I'm 150lbs). It really does not impact trails anymore than any other mtb. There is no burn-out/rooster tail kind of power. I still pedal my a$s off all of the ride, and have to on steep up hills, but its like having super PED strength. Ok, maybe I ghost pedal on some inclines. Let me live

Even though I can do 32mph on flat street, I can't go any faster on the trail than non-E mtb due to all of those pesky trees, etc. What it does, is allow a 40yo, busy dad with badish knees to enjoy mtb'ing again.

My bike has a heavy hub motor. This looks nice to me:
    Haibike Xduro AMT Pro 2014
    Go someplace with shuttle runs?????????
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    This is only the beginning. Hybrid bikes that store energy from braking that look like and are as light as mountain bikes today will be coming in the future. They won't ride on batteries all day, but they will allow you to cover more ground, switch between electrical and human power, etc.
    Sure they could be coming, but they still have to have a motor somewhere. This excludes them immediately from being CA legal. The rangers/land managers are not morons. They will know what is what by brand or other marketing hype. It's kind of funny that the thing that might make you go "wow" at the bike shop will also get you caught on a CA trail.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So is that it? You just don't want anyone with a technical advantage riding on "'your" trails?
    Where does your "technical advantage" and your rig becomes a motorcycle???

Keeping the propulsion "human powered" is just the best way to keep it a bicycle.

Now, if you have a device that can double the affects of gravity on my on the DH side, the cut it in half on the uphill side, I'm listening. The propulsion is still human, but you removed resistance to the propulsion (on uphill).

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast