Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 231
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,333
    Around here lots of places (certainly not all) are posted no motorized vehicles...

    So basically they are already banned from the good high trials around here.

    On the other hand not a priority for the wardens yet.

  2. #52
    Trail Connoisseur
    Reputation: RIVER29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus1082 View Post
    Sounds like another case of trail police.


    Electric bikes on MY trail?



    NOT ON MY WATCH!
    Obviously you haven't read this thread, my take on it is as long as the users are responsible I'm not making a stink .

    My last response was just to point out that SOME of these bikes have the potential to do serious damage to the trail.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    Obviously you haven't read this thread, my take on it is as long as the users are responsible I'm not making a stink .

    My last response was just to point out that SOME of these bikes have the potential to do serious damage to the trail.
    If you saw this bike rolling past you, would your immediate thoughts be "Man, this guy is going to damage my trail?!"



    Max speed, 20 MPH. And I'm sure most of you have gone faster than 20 MPH on a certain trail. Battery won't last that long and you still need to recharge it by pedaling. What I gather from this thread is that 1/2 are cool with it and the other 1/2 are the elitists, but hold their tongues on these types of bikes. I don't care if a person uses it. It's their right and I'm not here to judge them.

  4. #54
    Trail Connoisseur
    Reputation: RIVER29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus1082 View Post
    If you saw this bike rolling past you, would your immediate thoughts be "Man, this guy is going to damage my trail?!"



    Max speed, 20 MPH. And I'm sure most of you have gone faster than 20 MPH on a certain trail. Battery won't last that long and you still need to recharge it by pedaling. What I gather from this thread is that 1/2 are cool with it and the other 1/2 are the elitists, but hold their tongues on these types of bikes. I don't care if a person uses it. It's their right and I'm not here to judge them.
    Actually it's not their right as those types of bikes are forbidden by law and if you read my last post you would notice the word SOME being capitalized. Get a grip!

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    Actually it's not their right as those types of bikes are forbidden by law and if you read my last post you would notice the word SOME being capitalized. Get a grip!
    Do you have a link to said law?

  6. #56
    Trail Connoisseur
    Reputation: RIVER29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus1082 View Post
    Do you have a link to said law?
    I live in Larimer County CO, I'm sure it's somewhere in their rules of use online. Again, if you would have read this thread I actually asked a ranger what the county rule is, he could have lied to me but I doubt it.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    I live in Larimer County CO, I'm sure it's somewhere in their rules of use online. Again, if you would have read this thread I actually asked a ranger what the county rule is, he could have lied to me but I doubt it.
    so...you don't have a law.

    Gotcha.

  8. #58
    Trail Connoisseur
    Reputation: RIVER29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    626
    Here, it's in the bottom left hand corner:
    http://larimer.org/parks/bluesky_brochure.pdf

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    Here, it's in the bottom left hand corner:
    http://larimer.org/parks/bluesky_brochure.pdf
    Fair enough.

    One argument can be made that it is an electric assisted bicycle and is not in the same class as say a dirt bike or ATV. I'm sure that the park rangers would agree with that. I've seen electric bikes around the state park that I ride in and it has those same rules.

  10. #60
    Trail Connoisseur
    Reputation: RIVER29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus1082 View Post
    Fair enough.

    One argument can be made that it is an electric assisted bicycle and is not in the same class as say a dirt bike or ATV. I'm sure that the park rangers would agree with that. I've seen electric bikes around the state park that I ride in and it has those same rules.
    When I was researching the laws on this I found that CO state law says that electric assist bikes are banned from bike paths and trails unless marked otherwise or overridden by local law. You'll have to find that one on your own if you want to double check... I'm not arguing this anymore.

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus1082 View Post
    so...you don't have a law.

    Gotcha.
    You don't need to be such an ankle biter.

    Unfortunately, lack of common sense and ever increasing population dictate that we have laws covering everything. Here is one line in a govt. forest service manual on trail accessibility guidelines.

    Nothing in these guidelines permits the use of a motor vehicle on a National Forest
    System trail that is not designated for motor vehicle use.

    There is lots more here if you care to read-

    http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/prog...lity/FSTAG.pdf

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,004
    I work part time in an electric bike shop, and most of them of built for commuters.

    They have 500-700 watt motors and the bikes weigh about 70lbs. In comparison, a pro cyclist puts out about 400 watts max and their bikes weigh about 15lbs.

    However, there are a few which are more powerful. A popular commuter model is the Grace One, which has a 1.4kilowatt motor.



    A Stealth Bomber has a 4.5kilowatt motor



    In comparison, 1hp is about 750 watts, and the average 250cc dirt bike puts about 30hp.

    FYI, the Grace One is about $8000, the Stealth Bomber $11,000. I don't think I am going to see too many on the trails.

    But if I can handle dirt bikes, horses, and hikers (plus faster mountain bikers), I think I can handle e-bikes too.

  13. #63
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus1082 View Post
    Fair enough.

    One argument can be made that it is an electric assisted bicycle and is not in the same class as say a dirt bike or ATV. I'm sure that the park rangers would agree with that
    don't be so sure about that. all it takes is one vocal person to make a stink, or one irresponsible rider to cause a wreck by going too fast and the rangers will be forced to follow the letter of the regulations whether they like them or not.

    look at how much effort rangers in popular places put into enforcing speed limits on singletrack. radar guns in the woods.

    a motor is a motor.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: swingset's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    But it's not a "bicycle" if it has a motor. It's a moped. Or a motorcycle. I repeat, I love technology and embrace it but electric motorized mountain bikes are not "bikes" per se.
    I don't accept you as the arbiter of what is and what isn't a bicycle. Nor do I accept your version of what's worth doing and what isn't.

    You're not that important.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Even around the techy Bay Area, I still have yet to see any e-bikes on the trail.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    618
    I strongly feel that some people need to get a grip. Trying for strava segments is gonna do more trail damage than these ebikes are. I reserve the right to make fun of them though.

  17. #67
    Ohh Gnarly!!
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,536
    I don't really know what to say about this...

  18. #68
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,996
    The E Bike crowd could lobby for their own trails, kinda like "earn you're turns". MTBing has enough access issues without having to contend with motorized interlopers, most of which have done little or nothing to help us gain trail access. Rather, these will most assuredly hasten the loss of an already precarious hold on what little trails we do have access to. I can already hear the pitter patter of the feet of the Sierra Clubbers rushing to mobilize against these. My two cents.

  19. #69
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    So you are telling me this bike, which looks like the one I saw on the trail is impossible to get in the States (its available for pick up in Denver and ships to the lower 48 for $100) and that it's 4000 watt motor is intended to go only 20mph?

    HPC XC-4 EXTREME ELECTRIC 26" BIKE BICYCLE - 4000W POWER SYSTEM & 21" FRAME | eBay

    Someone is misinformed.

    Edit: In the description it says: "Keep in mind, this type of power is way beyond the legal definition of an electric bike by federal standards. Legal top speed in most states for electric bikes is 20MPH. For this reason, this bike is considered for off-road use only!" "Top Speed: 50+ MPH"
    Actually if they can go over 20 mph they are considered an ATV. So the law would apply as to an ATV and if you were to use it on any road would require a license. For the under 20 mph ones they are still considered a bicycle.

    Our shop does not or will not sell any that go over the 20 mph limit.

  20. #70
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,625
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The E Bike crowd could lobby for their own trails, kinda like "earn you're turns". MTBing has enough access issues without having to contend with motorized interlopers, most of which have done little or nothing to help us gain trail access. Rather, these will most assuredly hasten the loss of an already precarious hold on what little trails we do have access to. I can already hear the pitter patter of the feet of the Sierra Clubbers rushing to mobilize against these. My two cents.
    ^^^ This. $6k+ is a lot of money for a casual rider but there would be rentals and riders who would not give a shite about etiquette or sustainable trail use.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus1082 View Post
    If you saw this bike rolling past you, would your immediate thoughts be "Man, this guy is going to damage my trail?!"



    Max speed, 20 MPH. And I'm sure most of you have gone faster than 20 MPH on a certain trail. Battery won't last that long and you still need to recharge it by pedaling. What I gather from this thread is that 1/2 are cool with it and the other 1/2 are the elitists, but hold their tongues on these types of bikes. I don't care if a person uses it. It's their right and I'm not here to judge them.

    Nope...but be thinking.."wonder how many pounds of pot he's transporting in that seatpost.."
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    I don't accept you as the arbiter of what is and what isn't a bicycle. Nor do I accept your version of what's worth doing and what isn't.

    You're not that important.
    Well God bless you, child. You don't have to accept anything I tell you. But a motor on a bike makes it a motorbike. I'm not a puritan or a zealot but at the very least we ought to define a bicycle as a vehicle that is completely human-powered.

    Are one or two lightweight electric motorbikes on the trails going to bother me? No. But I live in ATV land and who's to say that electric ATVs won't now be allowed on the trails?

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Well God bless you, child. You don't have to accept anything I tell you. But a motor on a bike makes it a motorbike. I'm not a puritan or a zealot but at the very least we ought to define a bicycle as a vehicle that is completely human-powered.

    Are one or two lightweight electric motorbikes on the trails going to bother me? No. But I live in ATV land and who's to say that electric ATVs won't now be allowed on the trails?
    In Idaho they have great system of telling the difference between MTB and motos (allowed on many trails together) and ATV's, it's very simple they count the wheels. More than two...not allowed.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gnawbonelefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    69
    deleted
    Last edited by gnawbonelefty; 09-09-2012 at 09:04 PM.

  25. #75
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,625
    Quote Originally Posted by gnawbonelefty View Post
    In all , electric assist does serve a purpose. If someone feels they need it to make a ride worthwhile given their physical limitations, I would applaud them.
    Where would you draw the line between an electric assist bike and one of the 50+mph ones or those you can see in the video above? People are going to ride them just like ATVs but on more fragile trails.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •