Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Trail Connoisseur
    I actually talked to a ranger at the trail head this morning, not making a stink, just asking what the county's rules are. He told me that nothing with a motor is allowed. It's doesn't matter if it's assist only.

I don't see my self messing with someone riding one responsibly, and I don't mind talking to people on the trail about responsible use. I do wonder if these could gain popularity with people that just want to go faster... cross that bridge when I get there.

local trails rider

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i want one lol

mtbr member
    I think as long as the motor is 100% electric and doesn't tear up the trails then sure. It seems to me a little dangerous to just hop on a mountain trail on a motor, but hey I guess it's kind of dangerous anyway.

There are plenty of cement trails in Denver/Aurora that seems like a more appropriate place for an electric bicycle, imo.
    Ride long, ride safe...

Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    I actually talked to a ranger at the trail head this morning, not making a stink, just asking what the county's rules are. He told me that nothing with a motor is allowed. It's doesn't matter if it's assist only.

I don't see my self messing with someone riding one responsibly, and I don't mind talking to people on the trail about responsible use. I do wonder if these could gain popularity with people that just want to go faster... cross that bridge when I get there.
    I think that's a reasonable position to take. it keeps the rules clear so managers don't have to check motor power or anything at the TH. But still the motors are getting smaller and such a bicycle is going to be much less obvious to a land manager. I could see some places engaging in a crackdown and potentially banning all bicycles if too many idiots get out there with the high powered machines and start causing trouble. Guys like the one mentioned in the OP will be unlikely to be noticed by most.

mtbr member
    I just hope this doesn't get out of hand and we start seeing trail "cops" a lot more....
    Ride long, ride safe...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    EDIT: Shoulda read through the thread first. Weight/crashing/bad gotcha.

So educate me a little on the harm here?

I understand a motorised bike is prohibited because of the emissions.

An electronic assist motor however?

If it's because these riders don't "earn" their spot on the trail by being lazy and taking advantage of progresses in technology hand me the tar bucket and sack of feathers right now.

mtbr member

The Erosion argument is so silly

I mean really, THIS is erosion.Name:  erosion.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  29.2 KB

if someone wants to ride an electric bike instead of peddling good for them, nature is a wonderful thing, what is wrong with allowing others to love in a way of heir choosing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This topic came up on my regional forum and got a bit messy. Bottom line they are not legal @ least on our local trails. Our local trails are already stressed due to multi use. Mountain bikers don't need anymore negative attention and it seems we would be lumped in w/ electric bikes in a bad situation.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    some old guy, no big deal. some stupid kids, now i can see them locking the front brake, hitting the throttle, and doing "burnouts", leaving a giant hole in the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    some old guy, no big deal. some stupid kids, now i can see them locking the front brake, hitting the throttle, and doing "burnouts", leaving a giant hole in the trail.
    Yea we wouldnt want kids to have fun now would we.

mtbr member
    An electric assist bicycle is a motorized vehicle.

If you think public and forest lands should change their access regulations then that is an entirely different debate. I for one am thankful for the relatively small amount of open country left that is not fouled with motorized contraptions. Let your legs and lungs determine how far you can go.

I don't hate those unfortunate enough to be physically handicapped in some way, and perhaps exceptions could be made.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If it doesn't reck the trail and doesn't go that fast and it is assisting the person I'm okay with it but if they start allowing them to be raced, there will be a huge protest against it.

duh
    an electric motor on a bike to assist up a hill is fine but a bike that is run completely on a motor, whether gas or electric, is still a motorized bike and should have their own eingine. Last thing I want is when climbing a single track hill is a motor bike going by. Their are a lot of people, both teenager and adult alike, that would start to abuse the trails with these bikes given a chance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Apropos nothing....I am not a luddite and have embraced advancing mountain bike technology but I have to draw the line at electric-powered anything on a mountain bike. At the very least and by definition a mountain bike is completely man-powered...otherwise it's a motorcycle.

I include electronic shifting as something I will never touch. Man-powered or nothing.

Why, for that matter, do I want help climbing hills? Mountain biking is not my job and I'm not trying to make it easier or more efficient.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Mountain biking is not my job and I'm not trying to make it easier or more efficient.
    So you ride a Walmart bike then? Didn't think so.

You probably have a nice, easy-rolling bike that's got all sorts of techology from wheels to driveline that make it easier or more efficient.

We all have our line of what we consider fun verses work. Not a bit bothered by people who want to go have fun on an electric bike. I think they're neat, honestly. Light, easy on the trails, zero emissions, quiet....what's not to like?

When I ride my motorcycle on the trails it's just for fun, I don't even think about the Amish aspect of having it do the work...because that's mostly a flawed argument anyway when we're talking about true offroad.

If you think you're not working your body to do ride a motorized offroad bike (electric or gas), I got news for ya....it's work. You go further and it takes more time to get the same workout, but there's a reason fat guys don't ride Supercross. It kicks your butt.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    Saw another electric mountain bike on the trail the other day. It got me thinking, do I care about this? Am I going to start seeing a bunch of fat rich dudes (no offense to large or wealthy riders who pedal) who don't pedal ripping down our trails? Can someone give me some perspective here? Do I call the ranger 'cause the trail clearly states no motorized vehicles?
    Yes. Unless it is a rider who is disabled in some way (fat slob who never met a buffet they could say "no" to is not a disability) and this helps them to be out and participating in the sport.

Did he come up behind you yelling STRAAAAAAAAVA!!!!!!!?
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    In California, a bicycle is defined as anything that powered by human power. If you live in CA I would absolutely call and complain. It's only a matter of time before there's electric style dirt bikes. Do those count too even though they can rip up and down but aren't operated with a combustion engine?

I actually saw 2 guys riding electric "assisted" bikes up the steepest mountain in my area the other day. Sadly, I started after them and still beat them to the summit by quite a few minutes. They applauded me and told me I was insane and I responded "No, you guys are just lazy". I proceeded to rip down the mountain because their beach cruiser electric assisted bikes were no match for 160mm of terror.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    So you ride a Walmart bike then? Didn't think so.

You probably have a nice, easy-rolling bike that's got all sorts of techology from wheels to driveline that make it easier or more efficient.

We all have our line of what we consider fun verses work. Not a bit bothered by people who want to go have fun on an electric bike. I think they're neat, honestly. Light, easy on the trails, zero emissions, quiet....what's not to like?

When I ride my motorcycle on the trails it's just for fun, I don't even think about the Amish aspect of having it do the work...because that's mostly a flawed argument anyway when we're talking about true offroad.

If you think you're not working your body to do ride a motorized offroad bike (electric or gas), I got news for ya....it's work. You go further and it takes more time to get the same workout, but there's a reason fat guys don't ride Supercross. It kicks your butt.
    But it's not a "bicycle" if it has a motor. It's a moped. Or a motorcycle. I repeat, I love technology and embrace it but electric motorized mountain bikes are not "bikes" per se.

banned
    A lot of mis-information here. I work at a shop that sells electric assist bikes. The largest watt they have in the US is 500. In the US, by Fed law, they cannot go over 20 mph. In know way do they produce enough power to be spinning out or hurting the trail.

At first I was completely against them, but after seeing the people that buy these and their limitations, I am for them. Last month we sold 2 to guys in there late 70's that could not get up most hills anymore. It has changed their outlook and now they are riding everyday again. The large crowd still do not want them, still too much work.

Now outside the US that is a different story, they do have electrics doing well over 20mph.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    A lot of mis-information here. I work at a shop that sells electric assist bikes. The largest watt they have in the US is 500. In the US, by Fed law, they cannot go over 20 mph. In know way do they produce enough power to be spinning out or hurting the trail.

At first I was completely against them, but after seeing the people that buy these and their limitations, I am for them. Last month we sold 2 to guys in there late 70's that could not get up most hills anymore. It has changed their outlook and now they are riding everyday again. The large crowd still do not want them, still too much work.

Now outside the US that is a different story, they do have electrics doing well over 20mph.
    Great concept for public roads, paved bike paths etc. Pedal when you can and get a bit of a boost when you need it.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Great concept for public roads, paved bike paths etc. Pedal when you can and get a bit of a boost when you need it.
    Exactly. If you want to enjoy nature and you are not fit for a bike, you can always hike.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    Yea we wouldnt want kids to have fun now would we.
    Do you let your kids destroy public trails?

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    So you are telling me this bike, which looks like the one I saw on the trail is impossible to get in the States (its available for pick up in Denver and ships to the lower 48 for $100) and that it's 4000 watt motor is intended to go only 20mph?

HPC XC-4 EXTREME ELECTRIC 26" BIKE BICYCLE - 4000W POWER SYSTEM & 21" FRAME | eBay

Someone is misinformed.

Edit: In the description it says: "Keep in mind, this type of power is way beyond the legal definition of an electric bike by federal standards. Legal top speed in most states for electric bikes is 20MPH. For this reason, this bike is considered for off-road use only!" "Top Speed: 50+ MPH"
    Last edited by RIVER29; 08-28-2012 at 09:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sounds like another case of trail police.

Electric bikes on MY trail?

NOT ON MY WATCH!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast