Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Actually ran into a lady riding one if these bikes in middle run in Delaware. Stopped and talked to her and heard her story. She wants to just ride but being out of shape it wasn't possible, so she is using the boost to get herself up hills. She wasn't bombing the trails, she was a very nice trail user. I have no problem with people like that using the trails also.

Bill
    Of course not. But how do you keep the riff-raff out; meaning the 90 percent of eBike riders who look at their bikes as electric motorcycles? Someone commented in an earlier post that he really couldn't do more than 20 MPH on his eBike....but think about that. How often do you ride that fast on a trail. Hell, that's road-bike speed.

Sure, I can hit that speed on the downhills but generally 12 MPH feels pretty fast on our trails.

When I ride on the roads people sometimes yell, "Get on the sidewalk." Sidewalks are neither suitable nor safe for a 230 pound guy riding a bike at twenty miles an hour. Likewise, most mountain bike trails are not suitable for carefree riders zipping along at high speed that they didn't have to work for.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Fat lazy out of shape riders allready mtn bike. They simply go to ski slopes and ride up on the lift and ride down.

E bikes are quiet and innocuous, I have no problem with them on the trail, cause I believe that more people will do better if they get out into nature more.

Now small motored bikes with gas engines? Leave them at home.

Like it or not they are coming, might as well embrace it and deal with it over trying to ban them.

Bill
    I've noticed many more "fat lazy out of shape riders" squished in to ill fitting pajama colored spandex and pedaling road bikes on the streets than I see on the lifts or trails, but whatever.

What ski slopes are you frequenting?

I've yet to encounter and e-bike on the trail. Not even sure what I'd think. "Cool" I guess. Not like I'd go rat on the rider or anything, but I'd wonder what the local rangers would think. I'm thinking, if a person is physically compromised so much that they can't pedal or maneuver a regular bike, I'm not likely to see one where I ride. Fat, lazy and out of shape are sort of prohibitive (if stereotypical) to techy or aggressive riding.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Of course not. But how do you keep the riff-raff out; meaning the 90 percent of eBike riders who look at their bikes as electric motorcycles? Someone commented in an earlier post that he really couldn't do more than 20 MPH on his eBike....but think about that. How often do you ride that fast on a trail. Hell, that's road-bike speed.

Sure, I can hit that speed on the downhills but generally 12 MPH feels pretty fast on our trails.

When I ride on the roads people sometimes yell, "Get on the sidewalk." Sidewalks are neither suitable nor safe for a 230 pound guy riding a bike at twenty miles an hour. Likewise, most mountain bike trails are not suitable for carefree riders zipping along at high speed that they didn't have to work for.
    Always find it strange when people form and express an opinion they have absolutely no experience of.

Not only are you complaining about a problem you haven't experienced, you're complaining about a problem that might not even exist.
    1994 Fully Rigid Diamond Back Axis TT
    2009 Trek Fuel Ex 7

Unpredictable
    The two best ways to make sure MTB trails are used by MTBers is 1: help build them and 2: ride them. Both allow you to see what is going on and how to manage the issue. Trail workers get the chance to talk to trail users about things like behaviour on the trails and new users fall into the rhythm of the place if they have a pack mentality on show (not "pack" in the ripping you limbs off way).

If e bikes are an issue, they will be dealt with by the presence of MTB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It is really the bike that is causing problems?.... Or is it the riders with no respect for the trails or other users?

I ditto that shuttle riders and others who prefer to not work uphill are apt to be as bad or worse behavior than someone that chooses an electric bike.

I have ridden off road with electric bikes and it was interesting. I managed to keep min front for a few miles uphill on tight singletrack because I am in shape and could corner much smoother and recover my speed.

In the end the guy who rode the electric bike turned out to be a class a butthole with his attitude and that was my only takeaway issue.... bad person at the core!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I am just getting into mountain bike riding, but wouldn't care if I came across someone with a electric bike, which really what's the big deal, I can handle a new form of bike! New things don't bother me. I know a little about electric motors and Lipo batteries which are very expensive and sensitive to heat among other things. Also those bikes doing those speeds, are doing it at the cost of a full charge that probable took hours, and they can not do it for long at the rate they show in those video's, My guess is it only minutes maybe 2 to 4 at most with that discharge rate they are showing, and that is only to try to get people to believe they are better then what they are, which they are not. They are more of a fire hazard if anything went wrong and the battery overheated or got impaled. You won't see anyone deep in the trails with a electric bike as the power would be gone on the first climb up a hill!! And the noise of them won't scare anything! I just Google this video, I am sure there are better, but a gas assisted bike is 1000 times more practically at this point in time. 2ND GENERATION 4-STROKE MOTORIZED BICYCLE from UMOTOBIKES.COM - YouTube

To me nothings a problem until it's a problem, I don't care if I have to pass someone with a electric bike, I read hikers don't like hiking when there are allot of mtb bikers on the trail as they got to get out of the way allot. Same difference.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10