Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Idea! Easy way to clean cassette!!!

Today I found out an easy way to clean out your cassette without taking it apart. Simply get pipe cleaners and run it in between each section. Hope I helped someone out

mtbr member
    Check out Finish Line's Gear Floss, fantastic product for cleaning tight spots anywhere on a bike.

banned
    Mar 2014
    I got this plastic thing meant for that in a thrift store. It looks like an outside BB wrench that has dull teeth and it goes between the cogs. You rotate the cogs and this thing eats and pulls all the grime, weeds and grass out of your gears. On the opposite side it has a brush which works good.

Thanks for the tip.

Ride Instigator
    In the dishwasher when the wife's not around...sparkly like new.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    In the dishwasher when the wife's not around...sparkly like new.
    I own you dude. I can tell your wife whenever you step out of line by not doing trail work or sending advocacy emails. Sorry; it's what I must do.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the tip, I use something similar. I use old toothbrushes and dish brushes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This may be frowned on by many, but I go to the car wash. Tip the bike upside down and hold the nozzle very close to the cassette. Do same with the chain as it runs through the rear derailleur wheels. Just be very careful not to aim the nozzle at paint you care about or possible entry path to bearings.
    If there is a little time left I might give my car a rinse

mtbr member
    I use a wire brush - push it into/against the cassette, then touch the cassette on the pullback to rotate the cassette a bit, and repeat. Quick, easy, and clean enough for me.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmrider View Post
    This may be frowned on by many, but I go to the car wash. Tip the bike upside down and hold the nozzle very close to the cassette. Do same with the chain as it runs through the rear derailleur wheels. Just be very careful not to aim the nozzle at paint you care about or possible entry path to bearings.
    Seriously!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!

Keep rockin' that novel idea and get back to us down the road when the lovely results start to rear their ugly head. Take some pics, too...we like lots of pics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Honestly, I've been doing this on the same to bikes for...well they are 90 92 models. Maybe i'm just a good aim

Front Range, Colorado
    Honestly, I've been doing this on the same to bikes for...well they are 90 92 models. Maybe i'm just a good aim
    That would explain your user name.

The death of bicycle parts. R.I.P.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I use old t-shirts and other tattered clothes for most of my bike cleaning needs. I cut them into squares. My clean the cassette I just fold a piece in half and stretch it out and get it into the cassette.. And I just pull and let it freewheel and rotate the cassette a few times and move to the next gear. It works really well and I just throw out the piece of cloth after.. Been doing it this way for 15 years now.. Its simple and makes them shiny. If they're really dirty I squirt some rubbing alcohol on it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You guys are coming up with easy ways to clean a cassette without talking it off which are actually harder than just taking it off!..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think using a t-shirt is pretty easy.. No need to break out the chain whip just to clean some grease and sticks out of it

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Easy way to clean cassette!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    You guys are coming up with easy ways to clean a cassette without talking it off which are actually harder than just taking it off!..
    But once you take it off you still need to use similar methods to clean the cassette, and it is harder to spin.

Easier to clean on the wheel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    But once you take it off you still need to use similar methods to clean the cassette
    But it's a lot quicker because you can slosh it around in solvent without worrying about it getting into your free-wheel or bearings. That's the biggest issue with cleaning it on the bike, removing the oil on the cassette without removing the oil you need.

Take it off, shoogle it around in a tray of white-spirit using an old paint brush or something to get between the cogs, two-minutes and you're done. No risk of getting solvent in the bearings, splashing filth all over your wheel and tyres, it's just a better and quicker way of doing it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I can't say that I've ever used more than a squirt of alcohol on my cassette ever.. If you're soaking it while on the bike you're going it wrong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I can't say that I've ever used more than a squirt of alcohol on my cassette ever.
    It depends how dirty it is. If it's really manked up the easiest thing to do it take it off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I use dry lube so mine doesn't really gather much.. I guess if I was using some sticky **** I might want to.. But a little simple green on a piece of cloth would work too

mtbr member
    For quick cleaning in use a tooth brush and/or a cloth between crevices. For a more thorough clean I will take the cassette off for a good soak then hit it with a brush . I do agree that it is easier and more effective to take the cassette off. One trick to remember is when you remove it use a zip tie or something to keep all the cassette pieces in the same order.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I borrow an ultrasonic bath from bubbleheads at work, throw the whole drive train in there once every 6 months or when it's filthy with a liter of biox and it comes out like new. Otherwise just wipe it down with isoprop and a one of those cassette brushes

mtbr member
    I think it's faster and easier to clean it with it on the wheel unless it's really disgusting, I use a rag and floss between each cog.

mtbr member
    Use a shoe string. It wraps almost all the way aroung the cassette while your spinning. The lube on your chain will transfer to the cassette. I was using way too much lube which attracts dirt. Less is more with most lubes.
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I use dry lube so mine doesn't really gather much..
    Oh yeah, that dry lube like they use in car engines.....oh no, hang on! ;0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast