Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    But why? So it will be cleaner? I already get multiple years out of a cassette anyway. Maybe beer will work
    Why is your problem. You don't need to clean your cassette at all. I'm just describing an effective way of doing it, should you want to.

Cleaner than what? If you wanted to get it spotless using your saliva and a toothbrush I guess you probably could. I'm just describing an effective way of doing it, should you want to.

Maybe beer will work. Let us know how you get on with that. I'm just describing an effective way of doing it that doesn't use beer, because I'm not an idiot!

mtbr member
    There is more than one effective way to get the job done. I had the opportunity to practice on several thousand bikes over the course of a few decades and for a couple of those years I went the route of removing parts and dunking them in the solvent tank or ultrasonic. Eventually I came back around to the conclusion that leaving parts on the bike for cleaning (including cassette) was generally faster, easier, and produced similar end results.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Why is your problem. You don't need to clean your cassette at all. I'm just describing an effective way of doing it, should you want to.

Cleaner than what? If you wanted to get it spotless using your saliva and a toothbrush I guess you probably could. I'm just describing an effective way of doing it, should you want to.

Maybe beer will work. Let us know how you get on with that. I'm just describing an effective way of doing it that doesn't use beer, because I'm not an idiot!
    Do you mean "what is my problem?"? My problem is that i clearly stated that I don't own, and I don't want to own solvent to clean a cassette. If you don't want my continuing dialog on the subject, then don't respond directly to my posts.

No one said you are an idiot. But since you brought it up, I don't understand why it is necessary to buy and use awful chemicals to clean a chain or cassette. Bike don't burn petro chemicals directly so we should soak the parts in it? The OPs idea was spot on, and so is using repurposed cloth stuff. Yes, I can understand taking the path of least resistance and using the nasty stuff if you already own it, or if your boss insists, or your shop already has an aqueous washer. But I'm not buying it specifically for the purpose, no matter how cheap.

But I already own Beer ...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I'm supposed to clean the cassette?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12