Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Brackish

Re: Easy way to clean cassette!!!

Grab shop rag, fold over in half, slide between cogs, rub back and forth, repeat. When rag gets dirty, fold in different place, continue.

mtbr member
    I was washing my bike today so I thought I would give that a try. It worked great. I couldn't believe how filthy that pipe cleaner got.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Air compressor and a dollar store dish brush...150 psi thru a 5mm nozzle tip,been doing it for years...I use it on the chain too,removes ALL dirt,sand whatever that works its way in to the small crevices .....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by billyrayeast View Post
    Air compressor and a dollar store dish brush...150 psi thru a 5mm nozzle tip,been doing it for years...I use it on the chain too,removes ALL dirt,sand whatever that works its way in to the small crevices .....
    Hell yeah. Works like magic. Just be careful not to force dirt into bearings etc. Never had an issue in 10 or so years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    But it's a lot quicker because you can slosh it around in solvent without worrying about it getting into your free-wheel or bearings. That's the biggest issue with cleaning it on the bike, removing the oil on the cassette without removing the oil you need.

Take it off, shoogle it around in a tray of white-spirit using an old paint brush or something to get between the cogs, two-minutes and you're done. No risk of getting solvent in the bearings, splashing filth all over your wheel and tyres, it's just a better and quicker way of doing it.
    ^this^

While the cassette is soaking, clean the rest of the bike. If you're up for an additional 90 seconds, drop the chain in there too. And, then wait for "Dude, new drive train or just the cassette and chain?"

Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

But it's a lot quicker because you can slosh it around in solvent without worrying about it getting into your free-wheel or bearings. That's the biggest issue with cleaning it on the bike, removing the oil on the cassette without removing the oil you need.

Take it off, shoogle it around in a tray of white-spirit using an old paint brush or something to get between the cogs, two-minutes and you're done. No risk of getting solvent in the bearings, splashing filth all over your wheel and tyres, it's just a better and quicker way of doing it.
    I can not remember the last time I have used any solvent, other than just a bit on the rag, to clean a cassette or chain, and I only use wet lube. May have been 20 years ago.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    If you're up for an additional 90 seconds, drop the chain in there too.
    Once the chain gets really full of crud this is how I clean it. Wash in solvent, rinse in water with a little detergent and dry in the oven! I then oil it on the bike but I think I'm going to try soaking it in a thicker oil then wiping off the excess.

mtbr member
    Pipe cleaners
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I used to soak my cassette and chain in solvent, but then I had all this dirty solvent around in bottles. Does anyone out there filter and re-use their solvent? Does anyone out there have a parts washer set up at home?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just use simple green for that stuff.. Its cheap enough to dilute and dump

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Redcoat
    taking it off really is the easiest way and most thorough way. 5 minute job if that. No need for shortcuts if at home/in the shop.

Redcoat
    Once the chain gets really full of crud this is how I clean it. Wash in solvent, rinse in water with a little detergent and dry in the oven! I then oil it on the bike but I think I'm going to try soaking it in a thicker oil then wiping off the excess.
    and what oldzaskar and Mr. P said.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm not sure if this is true, but it may be a good percentage of riders don't have a chain whip in their tool box. I agree it is a 5 minute job if you have one.

Redcoat

Easy way to clean cassette!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AngryElf View Post
    I'm not sure if this is true, but it may be a good percentage of riders don't have a chain whip in their tool box. I agree it is a 5 minute job if you have one.
    Yeah true that, for the sake of keeping your cassette in good nick twenty bucks ain't much and IMO should be one of the first tools you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryElf View Post
    I'm not sure if this is true, but it may be a good percentage of riders don't have a chain whip in their tool box.
    Well, that's a different discussion but considering that just about every bike tool kit comes with one, even the cheapies, it's a tool every cyclist should have.

mtbr member
    I use the hems from old Tshirts as floss. Tear them off and and they're just the right width .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just use an old chain and vice grips.. Never bought a whip changed many cassettes lol

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Well, that's a different discussion but considering that just about every bike tool kit comes with one, even the cheapies, it's a tool every cyclist should have.

I didn't own a chain whip or cassette tool till 3 days ago. Got by with a neighbor's tools. He bought an old, old kit from an old timer and they've all been passed around our 'hood like a dirty whore. Got to a point when I needed it, I had to ask 3 different neighbors for it since a couple of them are bad about returning the sh*t they borrow. So much for spontaneous bike projects that relate to the cassette so I tripped up to Art's Cyclery the other day and invested in a Park SR-11 whip and the FR-5G tool. Together they were about $30. I also have a solvent tank. My cassette is now gleaming!

mtbr member

Easy way to clean cassette!!!

All you really need is an old chain and a pair of visegrips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    All you really need is an old chain and a pair of visegrips,
    Yip, anything will do. You could nail a bit of old chain to a piece of wood too. Heck of a lot easier than getting the old screw-on free-wheels off! Man, they could be a nightmare. A few months ago I had a real battle with one, it was solid and would not budge. In the end I crushed the gears in a vice until they broke off then crushed the free-wheel body until I could get a bite on the inner spindle with the vice. Yeah, free-hubs are pretty good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    All you really need is an old chain and a pair of visegrips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I use a single drop of ATF on each chain pivot after the thick lube wears off a new chain. After a little soak time I wipe of the excess. I use socks, cut lengthwise to spin the hub to clean the cassette. Rain, dust, or mud can cause me to up my maintenance schedule occasionally, but I only clean and lube a few times during the life of the drive train. I don't own enough solvent to even start to soak a cassette, and I don't want to own it or use it. Chain whip, or not, I only remove my cassettes when I am replacing them or the stuff they attach to.

I must be old, cheap, and grumpy. Socks are free. My $6 quart of synthetic ATF has lasted 6 years and its still heavy. Parts washers? Power washers? Solvent? Pipe cleaners? Soaking time? How much to come to my place while I'm at work and do all this fancy stuff to my bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    I don't own enough solvent to even start to soak a cassette
    White spirit works fine. Very cheap. You don't need to immerse the cassette, just some white spirit in an old paint roller tray and brush the gears with an old paint brush. It literally only takes a few seconds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Next time I clean my cassette I'll take a video.. It will take me under 5 minutes, no disassembly required lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Next time I clean my cassette I'll take a video..
    No point. Even considering that logical means you loose! ;0)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    White spirit works fine. Very cheap. You don't need to immerse the cassette, just some white spirit in an old paint roller tray and brush the gears with an old paint brush. It literally only takes a few seconds.
    But why? So it will be cleaner? I already get multiple years out of a cassette anyway.

Maybe beer will work

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast