Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

eastern woods research frame

does anyone know how to read the serial numbers off an eastern woods research or does anyone know someone who might be able to?

my original woods frame reads::

R-HE-119-7-94

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khenry44
    does anyone know how to read the serial numbers off an eastern woods research or does anyone know someone who might be able to?

my original woods frame reads::

R-HE-119-7-94
    I know nothing of value, but ...

Please post a picture of your bike! EWR info seems non-existant these days.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    here it is::
    Attached Images Attached Images

blame me for missed rides
    sweet bike!

Ride what you want!!
    Sweet stem, if it wasn't for those screwy top caps.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member

Try calling Blue Mountain Sports in Jim Thorpe, PA

Jay DeJesus, who was the person behind EWR, used to work or hang around the shop. I met him there a few times and even got to ride his personal bike once.

Sorry, I really don't know any details on serial numbers, etc. but these people might be able to direct you to someone who does.

Good luck. That really is a sweet bike.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Find Jay (or at least info. about him) at...

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    Jay DeJesus, who was the person behind EWR, used to work or hang around the shop. I met him there a few times and even got to ride his personal bike once.

Sorry, I really don't know any details on serial numbers, etc. but these people might be able to direct you to someone who does.

Good luck. That really is a sweet bike.
    Check in with Mark Taylor at South Mountain Cycles in Emmaus, PA. I just picked up my fully built up EWR from him on Friday night. Heard that Jay was in town. Don't have the phone number handy but if anyone knows about EWR's, it's Taylor.

Now, if I could just figure out how to scan the photo that I have of me and the EWR...I'd be able to post it here. I'm TERRIBLE on the computer.

mtbr member

Better an EWR than computer skills

Hell, anyone can have computer skills but how many have an EWR?

banned
    Hell, anyone can have computer skills but how many have an EWR?
    Here's Eastcoaster's:

And here's mine:

mtbr member

Nice. When did the frames change?

My experience with EWR's is limited to Jay DeJesus' (not a bad one to have experience with) and BikeBreath's. I noticed the difference in frame design on the two pictured here. Is it just different frame size or a redesign.

PS: I have to say I like the orange color too....

mtbr member

Here's mine

This is an old picture, I now have a Talas on it, carbon riser bars, geared, Paul thumbies and I had a disc tab welded on the back (with Jay's blessing). I really need to take some new pics.

banned
    My experience with EWR's is limited to Jay DeJesus' (not a bad one to have experience with) and BikeBreath's. I noticed the difference in frame design on the two pictured here. Is it just different frame size or a redesign.

PS: I have to say I like the orange color too....
    There were three frames that I know of. A mod trials frame (looked very much like the Original Woods, just smaller), the Original Woods, and the E-Motion. My memory is a bit sketchy, but I think the E-Motion was billed as the "lightweight" more XC raceable frame, while the Original Woods was the all around trail/trials frame. I'm pretty sure I remember reading in my old EWR pamphlet that the E-Motion was also offered with True Temper OX tubing, instead of the standard 4130 CroMo. In that configuration it was supposed to weight a little less and was called the E-Motion Race or something. (Can anybody verify any of that, I'm not trying to throw FUD around).

Before these recent threads on EWR's, I had never seen an Original Woods in orange, only in yellow with red decals. I think orange was offered on some of the bikes from the last year of production.

Edit: pic of trials frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

E-Motion fer ya.

This is my bike. I've had for for 5 years and it's great bike.

As my old catalog says the E-motion is made from OX steel. It's flexy in the right places.

Bb, [ a hard bike not to love. ]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Super Sweet!

Man-0-Man, those woods bikes are the only thing I'd trade my E-motion for!

Bb, [ sweet, sweet, sweet! ]
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member

Paranoid?

A little paranoid aren't you? I love my EWR and would hate it if something happened to it but that is one big chain. How do you carry that thing around?

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Yeah...the deal is...

Quote Originally Posted by punk
    There were three frames that I know of. A mod trials frame (looked very much like the Original Woods, just smaller), the Original Woods, and the E-Motion. My memory is a bit sketchy, but I think the E-Motion was billed as the "lightweight" more XC raceable frame, while the Original Woods was the all around trail/trials frame. I'm pretty sure I remember reading in my old EWR pamphlet that the E-Motion was also offered with True Temper OX tubing, instead of the standard 4130 CroMo. In that configuration it was supposed to weight a little less and was called the E-Motion Race or something. (Can anybody verify any of that, I'm not trying to throw FUD around).

Before these recent threads on EWR's, I had never seen an Original Woods in orange, only in yellow with red decals. I think orange was offered on some of the bikes from the last year of production.

Edit: pic of trials frame.

Punk's is an E-Motion. Mine's an Original Woods Bike. And, the trials frame was offered. (Called the Mettle or Metal or something) The Breezer drops were originally offered on only the E-Motion frames. Yes, there was a version offered with the OX tubes on the E-Motion as well. The Woods frames all had slotted drops (the yellow with red decals) and the vert. drops were only added in the last run(s) of the Woods frames. The very early Woods frames had slightly smaller diameter tubing.
    It's pretty cool. I spoke to framebuilder Joe Williams of Williams American Cycles who lives near me. (he builds some SWEET frames as well as he used to be a builder for Serotta) and when he first moved here to Southeastern PA he worked for Fresh Frame in Ephrata, PA. He helped to paint the last EWR's produced.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Bikebreath, guess you remember me from MBW2003..

Quote Originally Posted by bikebreath
    This is my bike. I've had for for 5 years and it's great bike.

As my old catalog says the E-motion is made from OX steel. It's flexy in the right places.

Bb, [ a hard bike not to love. ]
    Only now I won't be on my Smorgasbord. I will probably only be up for MBW2004 on Sat. night into Sun. as I started a new job and now have to work part of that weekend. Hope to see you there! We're campsite #30! The one with the funk music pumping!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    wow...................... that is so cool

mtbr member

Updated pics of my EWR

The disc tab worked out very well. The paint match is almost perfect.

I love the Paul Thumbies. Takes you back to the old days but with indexed shifting instead of friction.

banned
    VERY nice!

How much travel are you running on your Fox? Any idea what your HT angle is with the increased travel?

Sweet disc work. Not sure if I'd be happy with an "almost" perfect match, but it sure looks good from here.

Also, has anybody weighed one of these bad boys? I always think mine is heavy, but then I pick up my wife's Trek 4300 and my bike feels like a feather.

mtbr member

3-5"

I run it at 3" for climbs and usually about 4" on the downhills. Sometimes I will run it on 5" but the front wheel will push out on turns.

Mary Phifer in Central, SC did the welding and painting. Everything we together well. The paint is so close to matching that no one has every noticed it unless I said something about it. With a light dusting of dirt, you can't tell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You guys just made my evening. Yes, this is the real Jay de Jesius. I have been considering making EWR frames again, and have been testing a prototype Bergwerk LSD from with a 4" travel rear that I would most likely be incorporating into an updated Original Woods Bike design (for 4X racing, jumping and the like). I am really interested in doing Original Woods Frames w/updated geometry and construction as well. I would love to see more user photos; please post more here, or you could email them to me at jdrp_stuntboy@hotmail.com as the fine chap with the disc mount did. Yes, the vertical drop'd Woods frames were from the last 2 runs - water jet cut custom cro-mo plate drop outs became rare, and Breezers are very trick. The orange ones we from the very last run, and Joe Williams make sweet frames. Did great work for me as well (Fresh Frame was THE place to go to for paintwork). I am so stoked to see so much interest out there, and that is what will make my descision to do this all again (though on a different scale).

I do have a few frames, but sorry, I cannot part with any.

Thanks again!

BTW: R-HE-119-7-94 as follows
    R (?), HE (Hairy Eyeball, almost became the name), 119 (first "1" meant nothing, second "1" meant 1st production run, "9" meant 9th frame in batch), 7 (July), 94 (self explanetory)

There 'ya have it...

mtbr member

Good timing.........

I've been investigating a return to a hardtail for more technical riding. I currently have an IF which I race and generally love but it is built up light and I don't even want to screw around with discs on it.

However, the chance to obtain an updated EWR or Original Woods Research intrigues me. I could see one of those with a 5" fork, discs and a heavier wheelset than on my IF for general tooling around in the eastern woods. I got my a$$ kicked by a buddy on an EWR at JT this year and the stability of the frame always impresses me. (I was on a 5 x 5 FS). I give credit to your frame but he may have just had bigger b@lls. Regardless, I'm interested so please keep us posted. FS does not impress me all that much and I just have a much larger smile when riding my hardtail. In the end, thats what counts the most.

Thanks
    REV

banned
    WOW, this is excellent news. I've been hearing rumors online, and just ran into a guy from Gretna Bikes who said the same thing, but to hear it straight from the source is great.

I've been kicking around making the jump to FS sometime, but haven't decided just yet. If you're coming out with an update Woods bike, count me in.

And now what everybody wants to know: when?

-Matt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mr. EWR...how ya doin'?

Quote Originally Posted by jdrp_stuntboy
    You guys just made my evening. Yes, this is the real Jay de Jesius. I have been considering making EWR frames again, and have been testing a prototype Bergwerk LSD from with a 4" travel rear that I would most likely be incorporating into an updated Original Woods Bike design (for 4X racing, jumping and the like). I am really interested in doing Original Woods Frames w/updated geometry and construction as well. I would love to see more user photos; please post more here, or you could email them to me at jdrp_stuntboy@hotmail.com as the fine chap with the disc mount did. Yes, the vertical drop'd Woods frames were from the last 2 runs - water jet cut custom cro-mo plate drop outs became rare, and Breezers are very trick. The orange ones we from the very last run, and Joe Williams make sweet frames. Did great work for me as well (Fresh Frame was THE place to go to for paintwork). I am so stoked to see so much interest out there, and that is what will make my descision to do this all again (though on a different scale).

I do have a few frames, but sorry, I cannot part with any.

Thanks again!

BTW: R-HE-119-7-94 as follows
    R (?), HE (Hairy Eyeball, almost became the name), 119 (first "1" meant nothing, second "1" meant 1st production run, "9" meant 9th frame in batch), 7 (July), 94 (self explanetory)

There 'ya have it...

Well, isn't this an interesting development! Jay it's great to have you post and what you had to say was a real eye opener. I have the blue bike pictured above and might, [no real good reason too], get another EWR frame. Don't know how I'd make it unique to my stable and so many financial obligations hitting me from all sides...don't know how I'd afford one. I guess I just want one to back up the one I have now...sort of a spare GREAT bike.

I can't expect you to remember me from seeing you in Blue Mountain Sports 20010[?], but maybe from letting you try out my old burgundy Ibis Mt. Trials I had at the Mountain Bike Weekend at Thorpe in the mid 80's. I've been at camp site 4 and 2 for 10 years now. Whatever...it's nice to have you pass though. Hope you decided to build EWR's again and get us mt. bikers in lather over east coast style bikes.

Opps, did I just drool on my keyboard?

Bb, [ maybe Jay will develop an in-shop credit line...even just a lay-a-way plan. ]
    bikes are art you ride

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast