Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member

I was referring to you in my response....

"I got my a$$ kicked by a buddy on an EWR at JT this year and the stability of the frame always impresses me. (I was on a 5 x 5 FS). I give credit to your frame but he may have just had bigger b@lls."

Remember that "fire road" descent at the end of Coal Cracker when you challenged me to keep up on my FS. Well, I remember that I didn't keep up and not wanting to actually measure the size of your "b@lls" I have to give credit to the EWR. Hell, I never even mentioned that the guy who beat me was wearing a tie.

Look out next year. None of this damned FS stuff again. I'm bringing the hardtail back. Maybe than I'd have a chance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I knew who you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    "I got my a$$ kicked by a buddy on an EWR at JT this year and the stability of the frame always impresses me. (I was on a 5 x 5 FS). I give credit to your frame but he may have just had bigger b@lls."

Remember that "fire road" descent at the end of Coal Cracker when you challenged me to keep up on my FS. Well, I remember that I didn't keep up and not wanting to actually measure the size of your "b@lls" I have to give credit to the EWR. Hell, I never even mentioned that the guy who beat me was wearing a tie.

Look out next year. None of this damned FS stuff again. I'm bringing the hardtail back. Maybe than I'd have a chance.
    I'm not so sure it's balls. It's some mix between no wife/children depending on me, confidence, ability and a death wish. I don't think the EWR is known for downhilling. The head tube is pretty steep on them...72.° I'm just a little crazy...crazy for thrills I guess.

However, if you remember a climb back in the Coal Cracker there, strewn with rocks and few lines...now that was the EWR and only a fraction me and, well, knowing how to make *that* bike work in those rocks.

I have to say, it's not a stiff bike. Lately I've let the front derailleur get a bit outta whack and the rear stays flex enough to scrap the FD in the lowest gear. I like the flex. I use the flex...I am one with the flex.

Bb, [ may the Flex be with you. ]
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member

I think much has to do with using a hardtail

I've been riding some very technical stuff for the past few days and ride much better and smarter on the IF hardtail than the FS. A hardtail may not make things easier but it does force you to think before you act and in the end, results in a higher quality ride.

That, of course, is only opinion for any die hard FS riders who may take offense at this remark.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Bikebreath, Rev Bubba...cool news, huh?

I'd be one of the first to sign up for what Jay wrote above!
    Reb Bubba, wish I had the chance to meet you up at MBW2004.
    Bikebreath, glad that I had the chance to meet up with you and your group on Sunday at the bottom of the hill near the park. I wasn't even thinking. I should have taken a ride on your rig when you took a spin on mine!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeah, how did you miss out on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    I'd be one of the first to sign up for what Jay wrote above!
    Reb Bubba, wish I had the chance to meet you up at MBW2004.
    Bikebreath, glad that I had the chance to meet up with you and your group on Sunday at the bottom of the hill near the park. I wasn't even thinking. I should have taken a ride on your rig when you took a spin on mine!

Funny how those things are. I was with a bunch of goons, you were by yourself...maybe it was one of those group dynamic type of things.

Well, there is always next year, eh? Maybe we'll all have new EWR's by then. Wouldn't that be the coolest?

Bb, [ ...don't have any kids..wonder if the neighbors kids have a piggy bank to crack. ]
    bikes are art you ride

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Speaking of Fresh Frame and Joe Williams....

Quote Originally Posted by jdrp_stuntboy
    You guys just made my evening. Yes, this is the real Jay de Jesius. I have been considering making EWR frames again, and have been testing a prototype Bergwerk LSD from with a 4" travel rear that I would most likely be incorporating into an updated Original Woods Bike design (for 4X racing, jumping and the like). I am really interested in doing Original Woods Frames w/updated geometry and construction as well. I would love to see more user photos; please post more here, or you could email them to me at jdrp_stuntboy@hotmail.com as the fine chap with the disc mount did. Yes, the vertical drop'd Woods frames were from the last 2 runs - water jet cut custom cro-mo plate drop outs became rare, and Breezers are very trick. The orange ones we from the very last run, and Joe Williams make sweet frames. Did great work for me as well (Fresh Frame was THE place to go to for paintwork). I am so stoked to see so much interest out there, and that is what will make my descision to do this all again (though on a different scale).

I do have a few frames, but sorry, I cannot part with any.

Thanks again!

BTW: R-HE-119-7-94 as follows
    R (?), HE (Hairy Eyeball, almost became the name), 119 (first "1" meant nothing, second "1" meant 1st production run, "9" meant 9th frame in batch), 7 (July), 94 (self explanetory)

There 'ya have it...
    Hey,
    Eastcoaster here. I was at the shop and talking to Joe the other day. Told him of your compliment and comments on Fresh Frame. Joe said that he'd like to talk to you. Said that you could reach him at Shirk's Bike Shop. (717-445-5731) Leave a message if he's not working in his shop out back. He said that he'd get back to you. Said that Brian/Byron? at Fresh Frame would probably be up for painting for you again. Well, Joe could explain it to you better. I'll try e-mailing this to you as well, but it came back undeliverable the last time that I tried.
    Great hearing from you!
    Good riding,
    Eric

This belongs to a buudy of mine. These are pretty cool frames. Not light but built to last.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

This is......

not EWR, but certainly reminiscent of them, at least visually (to me) seeming.

Linkage to more detailed pics. Peyto, small Vancouver, B.C. builder.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...7283#post337283
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

How many of you have tried....

a quick release seat post bolt on your EWR's? (Like Tom's buddy's frame pictured above?) I've used a Salsa QR clamp on my old Smorgasbord and liked it. I was going to try Salsa's QR bolt/lever that they sell alone but from the photos that I've seen of it, it looks quite a bit wider than the seat post clamp bolts that are welded onto the frame. I have heard of guys cutting their frames off just below the bolt clamp tabs and using a standard/traditional seat post clamp but didn't want to modify my orig. frame. Any opinions?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Throw another Original Woods bike into the mix:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...266#post461266

I'm running mine SS. Anyone know how to tell what year it is?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well, aren't you something?

It's been a while since I've been here...

Nice bike! They are heavy, but they are fun. Hell, anything is heavier than your Matt Chester.

My memory must be failing...I remember an EWR thread that the builder Jay DeJesus replied too. He would know. In the meantime try the guys over at Vintage, Retro, Classic

Bikebreath, [lost in photography and school these days.]

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Throw another Original Woods bike into the mix:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...266#post461266

I'm running mine SS. Anyone know how to tell what year it is?
    bikes are art you ride

Thumbs Up!

oops sorry

[QUOTE=J Ro]This was hand picked off the assembly line by Jay to use in competition.

wrong picture, i'll try again. Hope you like my Grove X anyway.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

Thumbs Up!

here is another

Quote Originally Posted by khenry44
    does anyone know how to read the serial numbers off an eastern woods research or does anyone know someone who might be able to?

my original woods frame reads::

R-HE-119-7-94
    This was hand picked off the assembly line by Jay to use in competition.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi mates,

whow - thats very funny - could it be, that the x above is the one I got 3 years ago? these are the two most fav bike I own:

eastern woods research frame-grove.jpg

inside-"harpking" (see fb ) on e-motion b2

eastern woods research frame-e-motion.jpg
    Cheers, Michael

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting. For some reason, I was looking at the EWR web site yesterday. I'm not even sure if they are still in business but its nice to see an EWR post now and then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    Thanks for posting. For some reason, I was looking at the EWR web site yesterday. I'm not even sure if they are still in business but its nice to see an EWR post now and then.
    Wow, you still kicking' Bubba?
    I haven't been in the woods for along time. I got into firearms and now compete in several pistol events. I do ride once in a while, but it's not in my blood any more, like it was for 20 years ago. Times change…people change
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member
    Turbob!tch and I are quite alive. We retired three years ago so there is lots of time to play but not much else has changed.

I got up at six this morning to watch the Tour de France, took a break and a 2 hour road ride and got back in time to see the final two hours of todays stage.

I spend plenty of time on mountain bikes and look forward to buying a new one next year. In the winter I my butt off. Got 85 days on snow last season.

Life is good. Glad to hear you are still breathing. At our age, that is a concern.

Enjoy the fire arms. The last thing I fired was the main gun on an M1 Abrams tank. Not exactly a pistol.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

eastern woods research frame

Woo! Great thread. Good to see it bumped.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2