mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Which DW suspension design is best?

So I tried to do or find a forum on this but couldn't. There is obviously a lot of forums on all the designs separately but none really comparing them to each other. A good amount of info on DW-Link and the DELTA system. Cant find so much on the split pivot design. Opinions on that? So what do you guys think? Which design is best?.... What are the advantages / disadvantages to each design?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin39 View Post
    Which design is best?
    No such thing. They all have advantages and disadvantages, and nobody can tell you which one is best for your riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    That's a great point, Harold! Maybe I should rephrase that to what are the advantages / disadvantages to each one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A few years ago I demo'd a Pivot ,I liked the way it climbed over an Ibis. I've owed a Intense and Santa Cruz ,don't prefer one over the over for suspension. The Santa Cruz is a lot easier to service the linkage bearing.

mtbr member
    When you say what dw suspension design is the best, do you mean Dave Weagle's various suspension systems or the specific DW linked system that Ibis, Turner, and Pivot utilize?

The dw link as found on the above stated bikes vary by quite a bit from each other and Dave Weagle's other system are different still. As Harold said, all suspension designs have strengths and weaknesses.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

since 4/10/2009
    That's a great point, Harold! Maybe I should rephrase that to what are the advantages / disadvantages to each one.
    That's all far more technical than I'm able to talk about. I've tried in the past to understand all the little details and it's just not in my wheelhouse. I ride the bike and gauge how it feels. That's what I do.

Most people who will go on ad nauseam about it only seem to have part of the story, too. You can usually get most of the benefits from a brand's marketing department, but of course they're all going to try to gloss over or avoid the disadvantages, and even when multiple companies use the same overall design, they're going to put their own tweaks on it to get it to work how they want, and so trying to differentiate between two applications of dw-link or two applications of split pivot are going to have slightly different properties.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Three.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride a Turner, so that must be the best, right?

mtbr member
    Split pivot is the best, because it's really just a basic old 4 bar single pivot... And everything single pivot is better!
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

Co Springs
    I might be more apt to suggest the age-old salesman question; "Why do you ask?"

This tactic is done for a variety of reasons.
    - Stalling technique.
    - Smartass question to throw you 'off' because you might know more about it than the salesperson.
    - Obtain more info about how you intend to use the item or what you expect to get you the right tool for the job.

That last one can be vital since a solid and honest approach to helping you get the right bike might be your ultimate goal. ie; Where do you ride, How aggressive, What are others in that area riding and impressed with....

If you are writing a paper on various designs, scratch that last one since it pertains more to user application and might narrow the information overload more than you wish.

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    So I tried to do or find a forum on this but couldn't. There is obviously a lot of forums on all the designs separately but none really comparing them to each other. A good amount of info on DW-Link and the DELTA system. Cant find so much on the split pivot design. Opinions on that? So what do you guys think? Which design is best?.... What are the advantages / disadvantages to each design?
    In reality i think differences between different DW designs are marginal, they are just customized to the frames that DW license vendor bought. You even have Giant Maestro as "unlicensed" design to align with that.
    If you are buying, look for other stuff like what components you get, price, availability etc.
    If looking from technival curiosity POV, then marketing sheets could be insightful. And look for andrextr on youtube, he analyzed quite some suspension designs.

Barely in control
    I've always thought that the Horst DW has the edge in doing what you want it to do.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I've always thought that the Horst DW has the edge in doing what you want it to do.
    That was probably worst of all, no favors were done by the 5th element shock though...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfree View Post
    In reality i think differences between different DW designs are marginal, they are just customized to the frames that DW license vendor bought. You even have Giant Maestro as "unlicensed" design to align with that.
    If you are buying, look for other stuff like what components you get, price, availability etc.
    If looking from technival curiosity POV, then marketing sheets could be insightful. And look for andrextr on youtube, he analyzed quite some suspension designs.
    Don't want to derail this incredibly important and informative thread but I would argue that the various dw linked bikes are very different. The IBIS dw linked bikes have a very different feel than the Turner dw links. And the early Pivot dw links were VERY different for both of those (and honestly sucked balls).

With all of that said, I like single pivot bikes with a HL and a Pro-Pedal shock. Nothing beats that.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Don't want to derail this incredibly important and informative thread but I would argue that the various dw linked bikes are very different. The IBIS dw linked bikes have a very different feel than the Turner dw links. And the early Pivot dw links were VERY different for both of those (and honestly sucked balls).

With all of that said, I like single pivot bikes with a HL and a Pro-Pedal shock. Nothing beats that.
    Agreed, except about the pro-pedal. That should just kindly go away.

Seems like suspensions have all reached a level of sophistication that it's not better/worse and more about how their character aligns with your preferences.

Even then i find that linkage behavior takes a back seat to geometry, shock model/tune, price... I'm glad it's not 2005 any more and we don't have to worry about getting a lemon suspension link. Kind of a bummer for Mr. Weigle, though.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov