mtbr member

Dumonde Tech Chain Lube - Ever heard of it?

While lurking around on another roadie forum I came across opinons about my fav chain lube - Pro Link (versus Boeshield and WL). But as I read on there was much more positive feedback about a chain lube called Dumonde Tech - has anyone hear of / used this lube and have some feedback related to mtb use (e.g. dusty and/or wet)

Thanks!

aka Willy Vanilly
    Hi. I've been using it for a couple years now and have been very happy with the stuff. Works well and lasts a long time. Not quite as clean as the dry stuff but lasts a bunch longer. Only thing is that not many people carry it. Has worked well for me in the dust and the wet.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by will8250
    Hi. I've been using it for a couple years now and have been very happy with the stuff. Works well and lasts a long time. Not quite as clean as the dry stuff but lasts a bunch longer. Only thing is that not many people carry it. Has worked well for me in the dust and the wet.
    Best thing for my mtb. Lasts a long time and doesn't cost way crazy much (though it does cost) for what you get and how much you use. Even use the Lite version with great success.

11 or 12 bucks for 4 ounces. Much better deal than White Lightning at $6 for 4 ounces in the long run.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Collects more dirt than white lightning.

I'll use it on the road bike because it lasts. But, it collects too much dirt on the mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

really?

Quote Originally Posted by jtlmd
    I'll use it on the road bike because it lasts. But, it collects too much dirt on the mountain bike.
    Really? My mtb drivetrain is brand new looking compared to everyone elses and all I use is DuMonde. Not to be a jerk, but are you applying it "right"? Hardly at all, wipe it off, then ride? Only applying when you hear it squeak, and not by feel or looks?

I've turned so many on to it based on my drivetrain looks compared to theirs.

aka Willy Vanilly
    I'd agree there. Not quite as clean as White Lightning but also doesn't wear out after an hour of riding...
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

banned
    Jan 2004

Originally developed for motocross chains in '96, here in the NW,

Quote Originally Posted by tommasini
    While lurking around on another roadie forum I came across opinons about my fav chain lube - Pro Link (versus Boeshield and WL). But as I read on there was much more positive feedback about a chain lube called Dumonde Tech - has anyone hear of / used this lube and have some feedback related to mtb use (e.g. dusty and/or wet)

Thanks!
    ,,,Dumonde Tech is very unique. It's basically a liquid polymer that fills voids in the surface metal (called "plating") and works quite well. It's common to hear complaints about it "getting" dirty, when in fact, people are often using it like other chain lubes they've tried, ie: too much, too often. Think of using it like you would a good furniture polish, you don't spray it on daily and let the stuff accumulate a waxy build up do you? Also good is their Liquid Grease, a LBS that specializes in DH swears by it for hub bearings, saying that it's even been known to refurbish pitted bearing races.

otb club member

Use it. Like it.

As others have stated, use sparingly--one drop per link. Spend as long as you want wiping off the excess, as it's what stays inbetween the surfaces that counts. This will keep the dirt down. It's not as clean as White Lightning, but it will last for many, many rides.

-Chris
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by tommasini

Thanks!
    It's great stuff. We have very dry, dusty conditions here in the summer, and the DuMonde stays put longer than ProLink. It also doesn't get too gummed up.

(school of funk that is)
    Thumbs up for Du Mond... [nm]

cask conditioned
    The Best chain lube ever, and I've used almost all of them. I ride 3-7 days a week and it still takes a year to get through the big bottle. As far as a dirty lube is concerned, that's if you use too much and don't wipe it off. Even if you get a dirty chain the first ride, just wipe it off and it'll be good to go for another 2-4 rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Rods' a good guy!

Way back in the day, when I rode pro motocross, Dumonde Tech was one of my big sponsors and Rod (pres of the company back then) always came to the races to make sure his team riders were well taken care of. This guy knows his stuff! He'd blend me a mix of fuel and polymers before race time that I would need to re-jet prior to riding because the stuff made hp.

Anyway, I havent tried the lube yet, but will be giving Rod a call and asking him to send me a bottle, but if it works anywhere near as good as the lube that he has built the company on, then it will rule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    The Best chain lube ever, .
    yep, as stated before it lasts longer than others!