Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned
    Sep 2012

Dropper Seatpost Recommendations?

(crossposted from the Beginner's forum - figure I'd get recommendations from more experienced riders here)

I'm looking around for a dropper seatpost and was wondering what recommendations you guys had.

I'm leaning towards an infinitely adjustable post like the Rock Shox Reverb, Crank Bros Joplin or Kronolog. Not sure about the Specialized Command Post or Fox DOSS with the intermediate "cruising" position - their violent upwards spring motion gives me the heeebee jeebies (i.e. smacking into the family jewels) although I suppose we're supposed to be seated on them during the adjustment.

Anyway, let me know your experiences and recommendations - it'll help me a ton in my decision.

-S

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've used the the crank bros joplin and I currently use the rock shox reverb. I prefer the reverb because it has less play, functions more smoothly since it's hydraulic, has an extra inch of adjustment, and I prefer the black color. Also, the reverb has an adjustment that lets you set the speed with a wide range between fast and slow if that's something that matters to you.

mtbr member
    I also like my reverb. I really like the looks of the Thompson that will be coming out in March?

banned
    I have used almost everyone out there, The only one I have found to be durable and long lasting is the Gravity Dropper.

mtbr member
    If you want it to work, Gravity Dropper is the only option. I've been running mine with no boot for a year with no problems.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by High Side View Post
    If you want it to work, Gravity Dropper is the only option. I've been running mine with no boot for a year with no problems.
    Not true.

Look into Kindshock as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Rockshox Reverb is awesome

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just ordered KS Suspension Lev-3. new technology, tested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Kronolog is tha only one ive tried but it is awesome so far. Good deal at cambria bike w coupon codes

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    (crossposted from the Beginner's forum - figure I'd get recommendations from more experienced riders here)

I'm looking around for a dropper seatpost and was wondering what recommendations you guys had.

I'm leaning towards an infinitely adjustable post like the Rock Shox Reverb, Crank Bros Joplin or Kronolog. Not sure about the Specialized Command Post or Fox DOSS with the intermediate "cruising" position - their violent upwards spring motion gives me the heeebee jeebies (i.e. smacking into the family jewels) although I suppose we're supposed to be seated on them during the adjustment.

Anyway, let me know your experiences and recommendations - it'll help me a ton in my decision.

-S
    Good timing, I was just about to post this same question! If you get one before I do, post with what you went with and how you like it. I'll do the same.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cr500taco View Post
    Good timing, I was just about to post this same question! If you get one before I do, post with what you went with and how you like it. I'll do the same.
    Based on the feedback I got and reading the AM forums, it looks like the Rock Shox Reverb has an edge. Both Crank Brothers Joplin and Kronolog have quality/design issues that plague some users.

Some recommended the Specialized Command Post but my issues with it are the fixed drop positions as well as the upward snap motion hitting my crotch at the worst possible time. LOL (check out the videos of the Fox DOSS and Specialized Command Post on youtube)

I'll definitely post my opinions when/if I get it. I'm out on the bench this week with trail rash and a giant aching bruise on my left hip after taking a nasty spill on Sunday.

-S

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Based on the feedback I got and reading the AM forums, it looks like the Rock Shox Reverb has an edge. Both Crank Brothers Joplin and Kronolog have quality/design issues that plague some users.

Some recommended the Specialized Command Post but my issues with it are the fixed drop positions as well as the upward snap motion hitting my crotch at the worst possible time. LOL (check out the videos of the Fox DOSS and Specialized Command Post on youtube)

I'll definitely post my opinions when/if I get it. I'm out on the bench this week with trail rash and a giant aching bruise on my left hip after taking a nasty spill on Sunday.

-S
    So far, I've been seeing that the Reverb is the way to go, as well. But it's also one of the more expensive ones with good reasons, it looks like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just realized that the Reverb won't work on my bike, because my seatpost is 27.2mm. Reverb is only available in 30.9mm and 31.6mm, which sucks.

Retro on Steroids
    I have a Joplin and a Gravity Dropper. Joplin is released under the saddle, the G/D is remote,

Joplin is lighter, but the saddle clamp (Bontrager) sucks. It seems to change angle the first time you hit the saddle hard, no matter how much you tighten it.

The cable routing for the remote release on the G/D is stupid, and I broke the attachment once, but G/D repaired it for $15.

Using the G/D now because the clamp is bulletproof next to the Joplin.

I know there have to be better products now, but I've had these for several years and they are pretty pricey, so I'm keeping them.

Anybody got any advice for the saddle clamp on the Joplin?
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I have a Joplin and a Gravity Dropper. Joplin is released under the saddle, the G/D is remote,

Joplin is lighter, but the saddle clamp (Bontrager) sucks. It seems to change angle the first time you hit the saddle hard, no matter how much you tighten it.

The cable routing for the remote release on the G/D is stupid, and I broke the attachment once, but G/D repaired it for $15.

I know there have to be better products now, but I've had these for several years and they are pretty pricey, so I'm keeping them.

Anybody got any advice for the saddle clamp on the Joplin?
    Hmm if its anything like my old Bontrager (the single bolt style) you have to tighten it, rock the seat up and down pretty hard (it WILL move a little bit) and tighten it again. Repeat until it doesn't shift when you rock it up/down.

That is the issue with the single bolt Bontrager clamp design. The bushings have to seat properly before it holds tight. Every time you tighten it, you have to rock it to make the inside bushings seat in properly, tighten again, rock.... tighten... you get the idea.

-S
    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I have a Joplin and a Gravity Dropper.

Besides the remote cable routing, how do you like the G/D? From what I have found so far, the G/D is the only one that will work on my bike.

Demon Cleaner
    I LIKE the preset heights on my Gravity Dropper. It's one of the best things about the system. I have the 100mm Turbo with two positions. One down an inch and then full bottom. Works perfect for me. Personally, I really like having everything at exactly the same spots every time. It takes away that feeling of "Did I get it just right...maybe need to add a touch of height...or maybe just a tad lower..." But each their own. Obviously, others love their set ups.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    If you want a truly proven performer over the long haul, get a GD.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    I LIKE the preset heights on my Gravity Dropper. It's one of the best things about the system. I have the 100mm Turbo with two positions. One down an inch and then full bottom. Works perfect for me. Personally, I really like having everything at exactly the same spots every time. It takes away that feeling of "Did I get it just right...maybe need to add a touch of height...or maybe just a tad lower..." But each their own. Obviously, others love their set ups.
    If you don't know the height of your ass at any given moment you may be a redneck. Different settings for height doesn't sound ideal. I would rather have an infinite adjustment to the height of my ass I don't know about you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have been looking at the looking at the reverb also it seems pretty expensive though

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    I've got the standard GD (it is ~7 years old), and I've used plenty of others on demo / borrowed bikes. I think the infinite adjustment thing is not all that important. I pretty much run it up or down, I never even use the middle position.

When other posts can claim to consistently last for over 5 years with no issues and little maintenance, I'll consider one if this one ever gives it up. However, the design is so easy to work on, and replacement parts are so reasonably priced, I don't see that being any time soon.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDONN View Post
    I have been looking at the looking at the reverb also it seems pretty expensive though
    I have been highly concidering that one as well. It has got nothing but good reviews in the short time it has been out. It may be worth spending a little more. The GD has good reviews and has been out forever. But it's the ugliest of the bunch. To me it looks like a Volkswagen shock absorber. Why would I ruin the look of my bike with that contraption. One thing all the others have going for them is at least they are all aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    I have been highly concidering that one as well. It has got nothing but good reviews in the short time it has been out. It may be worth spending a little more. The GD has good reviews and has been out forever. But it's the ugliest of the bunch. To me it looks like a Volkswagen shock absorber. Why would I ruin the look of my bike with that contraption. One thing all the others have going for them is at least they are all aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
    Can't disagree with you about the GD's looks LOL. It looks like some kind of bizarre sextoy. Who uses a corrogated rubber boot anymore?? However, I'm just wrapping up my first season on a GD & it's been more or less problem free all season. Major gripe (not counting the looks) is that it's incurably noisy. The seat needs a certain amount of "give" for the magnetic pin to operate correctly, so if you're standing up while going over rough terrain, the seat will inevitably rattle. You can't (should say "I can't") adjust the rattle away. The post also creaks if you don't keep its internals greased. Keep in mind, I'm 6'5" 205 lbs, so lighter riders might not have this problem.

Despite the problems, the GD provides such a huge benefit that I'm more than willing to live with it. Actually, I love the fargin' thing! Mine has a 2" or 5" drop - the 2" drop is perfect position for everyday DH & rocky/techy sections & the 5" is great for "OH CRAP!" sections (defined as "really, really steep stuff"). I'll usually drop to the 2" position now during any section where I don't have to pedal hard to keep speed. Amazing how much that 2" helps you to keep speed through corners!

I actually like the set positions vs. an infinitely adjustable post b/c you never have to spend time trying to get the height right. It's either engaged and dropped or its not.

Glad to see the OP looking at a dropper post. Great addition to absolutely any MTB!
    Check out my You Tube Channel

banned
    Sep 2012
    OK... snagged an RS Reverb off ebay last night. Thanks for all the input. Lets see how it goes.

-S

mtbr member
    I have a CB Joplin 4 and luv it. I added a neoprene skin around the post so to stop crap getting into the body clogging it up coz the seals are not great, but after my little DIY iv not had to take it appart once and its now just over a year old!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast