Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    Can't disagree with you about the GD's looks LOL. It looks like some kind of bizarre sextoy. Who uses a corrogated rubber boot anymore?? However, I'm just wrapping up my first season on a GD & it's been more or less problem free all season. Major gripe (not counting the looks) is that it's incurably noisy. The seat needs a certain amount of "give" for the magnetic pin to operate correctly, so if you're standing up while going over rough terrain, the seat will inevitably rattle. You can't (should say "I can't") adjust the rattle away. The post also creaks if you don't keep its internals greased. Keep in mind, I'm 6'5" 205 lbs, so lighter riders might not have this problem.

Despite the problems, the GD provides such a huge benefit that I'm more than willing to live with it. Actually, I love the fargin' thing! Mine has a 2" or 5" drop - the 2" drop is perfect position for everyday DH & rocky/techy sections & the 5" is great for "OH CRAP!" sections (defined as "really, really steep stuff"). I'll usually drop to the 2" position now during any section where I dyon't have to pedal hard to keep speed. Amazing how much that 2" helps you to keep speed through corners!

I actually like the set positions vs. an infinitely adjustable post b/c you never have to spend time trying to get the height right. It's either engaged and dropped or its not.

Glad to see the OP looking at a dropper post. Great addition to absolutely any MTB!
    Have you ever ran an infinite adjustable one? I have been running a Joplin for 5 years with no problem. But the infinite adjustable within it's range is awesome. And very easy to pick your desired height at any given moment. Mine is the remote model. So a flip of the thumb on the lever gets things rolling. You simply keep your ass against the seat to find the spot height you want. When the height is found you let go with your thumb and it locks in that position. It is "extremely" simple and quick to do. I personally would never choose one of these dropper posts that didn't have that infinite adjustable within it's range feature.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-21-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    If you want a truly proven performer over the long haul, get a GD.
    In response to the clueless newb that neg repped this post with the comment that this was only an opinion (or, as he put it "opintion"):

This is not "just an opinion". In case you only started paying attention to these things when you started riding last year, the GD has been around for over 8 years, longer than any other adjustable post out there (ever wondered why they are called "dropper" posts?). it was a couple years until any other company started making them, and a couple more until other reliable ones came out.

So GD has over 8 years of a pretty solid track record. care to give an example of another post that has a reliable record for more than half that amount of time?

I'm not saying there are not other reliable ones that in a few years will have the same track record. They have just not been out long enough. I'm reading good things about the reliability of a few other posts, but none of them have been out for more than a few years.

Also not saying it is the best one to use, because it lacks some features that some folks care about. And some folks find it ugly (and care).
    Last edited by kapusta; 11-15-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

re member
    Te hot set-up is a command post with a joplin remote.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am going to get the Gravity Dropper Turbo. Going with the 350mm, 4" drop multiposition. Just not sure if to go with the 1" down or 2" down. My seat position is always either all the way up or all the way down and nothing in between, just because I've never really wanted to deal with it.

Do you guys prefer the 1" down or 2" down and when do you use that position? I guess, I should start experimenting with the 1" lower or 2" lower to see which I prefer.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr500taco View Post
    I am going to get the Gravity Dropper Turbo. Going with the 350mm, 4" drop multiposition. Just not sure if to go with the 1" down or 2" down. My seat position is always either all the way up or all the way down and nothing in between, just because I've never really wanted to deal with it.

Do you guys prefer the 1" down or 2" down and when do you use that position? I guess, I should start experimenting with the 1" lower or 2" lower to see which I prefer.
    I'd go 2"...found 1" to be almost useless when I had my GD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    I'd go 2"...found 1" to be almost useless when I had my GD.
    That's what I'm thinking. Seems like 1" is not much and might be pointless. 2" will be half way down with a 4" drop, seems to make more sense, now that I think about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Good job! $199 Reverbs at Art's Cyclery

Art's Cyclery has 2012 Reverbs on sale for $199, free shipping right now. pretty sweet deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    (crossposted from the Beginner's forum - figure I'd get recommendations from more experienced riders here)

I'm looking around for a dropper seatpost and was wondering what recommendations you guys had.

I'm leaning towards an infinitely adjustable post like the Rock Shox Reverb, Crank Bros Joplin or Kronolog. Not sure about the Specialized Command Post or Fox DOSS with the intermediate "cruising" position - their violent upwards spring motion gives me the heeebee jeebies (i.e. smacking into the family jewels) although I suppose we're supposed to be seated on them during the adjustment.

Anyway, let me know your experiences and recommendations - it'll help me a ton in my decision.

-S
    I bought a bike back in May with a Joplin 4. It probably was leaking when I bought the bike because it lost oil and compression on the first ride. I called Crankbrothers and spent $15 for the re-build kit. This did not fix the problem. And there are several issues that you can have with this post that require it to be sent back to the shop. I then sprang for the $300 Kronolog and it worked great for about one month. Then it started to "creep" down from full extension about 1 1/2 " during my ride. And now the air seal is blown and it won't hold pressure. According to some forums there have been similar problems with this post with other riders. Check out some of the reviews on-line. Bottom line -- dropper seat posts are awesome when they work but for me (I'm not an extreme rider) I'm going back to a regular post-in-a-seat-tube-with-a-clamp!
    Ponderosa

Climbs = necessary evil
    I've been using an old Maverick Speedball for 6 or 7 years and it's been bomb proof. Not even sure of they are made anymore, but sometimes simpler is better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    I've been using an old Maverick Speedball for 6 or 7 years and it's been bomb proof. Not even sure of they are made anymore, but sometimes simpler is better.
    i got one of those way back just because i liked the name, it ended up being awesome only requiring service once after 5 years of use. With my new sworks stumpy i got a joplin 4,basically speedball v2, and it is even better, more refined, less jigly . I could not use one of these without the infinite adjustment as i like full extension for climbing and just below that for technical stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr500taco View Post
    I just realized that the Reverb won't work on my bike, because my seatpost is 27.2mm. Reverb is only available in 30.9mm and 31.6mm, which sucks.
    There are several options for the 27.2 crowd. I use a X-Fusion HiLo on a 27.2 frame. There is also Gravity Dropper and Kind Shock. I have been on the HiLo for about 6 months, so far I love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    I bought a bike back in May with a Joplin 4. It probably was leaking when I bought the bike because it lost oil and compression on the first ride. I called Crankbrothers and spent $15 for the re-build kit. This did not fix the problem. And there are several issues that you can have with this post that require it to be sent back to the shop. I then sprang for the $300 Kronolog and it worked great for about one month. Then it started to "creep" down from full extension about 1 1/2 " during my ride. And now the air seal is blown and it won't hold pressure. According to some forums there have been similar problems with this post with other riders. Check out some of the reviews on-line. Bottom line -- dropper seat posts are awesome when they work but for me (I'm not an extreme rider) I'm going back to a regular post-in-a-seat-tube-with-a-clamp!
    So you had 2 of the least reliable models and now you've shun dropper posts?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    No the Maverick Speedball isn't made anymore, at least not under that name anyway. Crank Brothers bought the design back in 2008'. They reworked what Maverick designed and improved it. They named it the Joplin. I bought the first edition of the Joplin in 08' and have been running it problem free ever since. I have never had it or needed it to be serviced or rebuilt. I know many have had issues with the Joplin but all I can say is mine has been bomb proof for 5 years now.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    No the Maverick Speedball isn't made anymore, at least not under that name anyway. Crank Brothers bought the design back in 2008'. They reworked what Maverick designed and improved it. They named it the Joplin. I bought the first edition of the Joplin in 08' and have been running it problem free ever since. I have never had it or needed it to be serviced or rebuilt. I know many have had issues with the Joplin but all I can say is mine has been bomb proof for 5 years now.

Yep, my Speedball has never been serviced either. Reading about all the problems with dropper posts lately, I feel very lucky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VABikerII View Post
    Art's Cyclery has 2012 Reverbs on sale for $199, free shipping right now. pretty sweet deal
    that is not a bad price at all.....if I could find them on the site lol

EDIT - nevermind, found it. that $199 is for the 4" post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    There are several options for the 27.2 crowd. I use a X-Fusion HiLo on a 27.2 frame. There is also Gravity Dropper and Kind Shock. I have been on the HiLo for about 6 months, so far I love it.
    I don't know about several, maybe a few. The Gravity Dropper turbo will work, just need to come up with some money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Over the past few years I have had a few droppers - love the ability to drop the seat, hate the reliability issues...

I had a Joplin for a few years - this was my first taste and it was awesome. But it's Crank Brother, so you know it will have issues. First issues was with the clamp mechanism failed - Crank Brothers sent replacement parts. Then the seat post exploded on a ride - oil burst out of the junction between the lower and upper all over me and the trail.

After the Joplin I took a break from dropper posts for a while due to the reliability issues...

A couple years ago I got a Rock Shocks Reverb - it hasn't been all roses.

First issue is the remote lever (plunger in this case) - it has a tendency to break off in a crash (particularly in a OTB situation)... I have had this happen twice in the first year. I moved the remote under the bars when I went to 1x9.

Second issue, in the last few months I have had to bleed it 4 times. And when you don't have it bleed right, that seat ain't movin. I can't find a leak anywhere, not sure what is happening here - broke down a took it to a shop to bleed. Which emphasizes the issue with hydraulic seatposts - when the hydro system has problems on the trail - you can't adjust the seat up or down - you are just screwed.

So now I am back to a mechanical system - the second version of the Command Post has gotten a lot of good reviews, so I am giving that a shot. I just installed it, so I'll see how it goes. But in the garage and driveway was impressive. The quick return of the saddle to height isn't that big a deal - there isn't much force behind it.

As for infinite vs fixed position posts... I don't think it's a big deal - I think you get use to whatever you have. I generally use the dropper in 2 ways - a little down for trails, and way down for steep downhills. So now it will be 2 fixed positions - rather than an infinite choice of 2 positions.

usually cranky
    a reverb may fight you a bit but imo is the nicest feeling dropper out there. super easy to bled so it isnt a draw back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2