Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Nice, that must make at least three of you that find it worth owning.
    I still use Hite-Rites a couple of bikes, and use them on the fly. I also have the IRD remote seat clamp for use with the Hite-Rite. Worked great on a frame designed for use with the H-R (precise seatpost fit, smooth seat tube, braze-on seat collar, H-R braze on), but the remote clamp does not have enough throw for current frames with separate collars.

I do have a dropper post and its only advantage is the remote.

I think H-Rs stopped selling because riders stopped changing their saddle height during rides. This was the same time QR seat collars disappeared.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    I can see this point as well. Though I think the suspension is a little more justified as it directly inputs the ride feel of the bike, and due to different rider weights, trail conditions, and preferences, I can see the justification of the adjustments. A dropper post just needs to go up and down, and stay up when someone is sitting on it.
    ...and not bend or break, not wiggle side to side (much), move smoothly...

There are rigid posts that bend and fail. Given the diameter limitations of seat tubes you have to beef up the dropper shafts to reduce failure. That adds weight and complexity.

Brings me back to the elegance of the Hite-Rite.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I still use Hite-Rites a couple of bikes, and use them on the fly. I also have the IRD remote seat clamp for use with the Hite-Rite. Worked great on a frame designed for use with the H-R (precise seatpost fit, smooth seat tube, braze-on seat collar, H-R braze on), but the remote clamp does not have enough throw for current frames with separate collars.

I do have a dropper post and its only advantage is the remote.

I think H-Rs stopped selling because riders stopped changing their saddle height during rides. This was the same time QR seat collars disappeared.
    I was trying to think who else would use one, I can't believe I did not think of you, Shiggy

If someone makes a Hite-Rite with a remote than can reliably work as advertized, and give at least 3" drop. and sell it for even close to what the original went for (adjusted for inflation), they will make a killing.

The market is wide open to this right now, and plenty of incentive to try. If it does not happen, I believe it is because it can't be done reliably.

I do think that the remote is the key to a dropper post's functionality, much as the bar mounted shifter for a derailleur.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just like anything...if you want lighter weight, it comes at a higher cost. When it comes down to it, I don't think dropper posts are all that heavy. I certainly don't regret adding the weight of a command post to my bike. It would be nice to see more options available in different price points, but that will come in time, I'm sure.

mtbr member

Economics

Gravity Dropper Turbo LP
    Lower profile unit for clean cable routing
    Upgraded to 2024 aluminum
    900% increase in strength
    New flexible housing for better cable routing
    Same reliable mechanical design
    45 grams lighter than the GravityDropper Classic
    Unit now bolted to post instead of bonded

$325

You wanted simple, here's a company that is listening to you.

Now with higher quality materials (we could have sourced all along!)
    MSRP $14 less than a Fox DOSS! Weeeeee

I believe when you take into account all the overhead, selling one $300 post is better than selling two $150 posts. So for a company to swoop in and take over market share with a low cost, high volume approach, when the major players get to charge $300+ no matter what their product is made from or how well it works*. What cheap post is going to come to market and outsell Reverb or Lev or GD by 3X? I don't anticipate a lot of investment happening on that front.

edit: *all the big names seem to meet (and together, establish) a sort of threshold quality. I mean more that no company has really nailed it yet
    Last edited by Snfoilhat; 12-18-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Nuance

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I was trying to think who else would use one, I can't believe I did not think of you, Shiggy

If someone makes a Hite-Rite with a remote than can reliably work as advertized, and give at least 3" drop. and sell it for even close to what the original went for (adjusted for inflation), they will make a killing.

The market is wide open to this right now, and plenty of incentive to try. If it does not happen, I believe it is because it can't be done reliably.

I do think that the remote is the key to a dropper post's functionality, much as the bar mounted shifter for a derailleur.
    i'm up for trying hite rite, where can i get my mits on one?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3