Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

The dreaded phone call

Phone rings this morning and Im laying in bed, not sleeping, but a little stiff from last nights ride.
    I answer and hear an old friend who is about as Anti Peddling as you can get

"I got a Mtn bike"

I cough a couple times, tweek my jaw to pop my ears "say what"

"Yea, I got a Mtn bike"

I look around the room making sure IM awake, the mind is still a little muddled after last nights zombie dreams, maybe someone slipped some acid into my drinking water, things just are not right today. "Your shitting me, what did you get" I figured at the very least I could play the game a bit. I am a bit hopeful as he lives at the bottom of the continental divide trail system and Ive been trying to talk him into it for some time now.

"I got one of those there Mongoose from walmart"

I pause, my visions of riding the CDT trail with him vanish and are instantly replaced by flashing cherries on the top of an ambulance hauling him away after his handlebars stripped. "take it back" I reply

he ignores me "Yea the guy I work with has a mountain bike too, anyhow he said to make sure I get one with disk brakes, those are the best right?"

Oh yea, IM still in my zombie dream obviously "uhm for the type of rides you will be doing with that bike it wont make a difference as you cannot seriously downhill on that thing anyhow, take it back and go to the LBS and pick yourself up a real bike for 400 dollars or less that will last you and not break your neck"

"I spent two hundred dollars" he replies "Im not gonna spend another 200"
    Me " I have peddles that were 110 dollars......."

"YOU PAID ONE HUNDRED AND TEN DOLLARS OR PEDALS!!"

Ok trying to think thru this "yes but I hvae cheaper ones which were 45"
    "FOURTY FIVE DOLLARS ON A CHEAP ****ING PEDAL"

So Im thinking at this point I dont have to worry about him having a heartattack while riding, he's already in stroke mode, and I try to steer him back to the bike "Look if you at least go test ride one at the LBS they will fit you to one, and you will be able to tell the difference even peddling around the parking lot, not to mention it will actually shift"
    So anyhow the conversation continues from there on how crazy I am and how he will never get into it like I am, and that may be true, but he certainly IMO deserves a good bike to ride those kick ass trails next to his house by at least Eliminating the breaking factor.
    Sigh, wut to do, I guess I know what he's thinking, I was the same way when I bought my wallyworld bike thinking that would be all I ever needed, so I added "You know I said the same thing with my walparts bike, but once I got a good one it took me to places I never dreamed of and the weight fell off"
    That settled that conversation at least for now, hopefully I can convert him to a quality one, god knows he makes enough to afford it.

Beer Me!
    HAHA Classic

Seems like that reaction is common when you get into the upper reagons of a hobby:

"YOU SPENT $110 ON PEDALS!"
    "YOU SPENT $40 ON A BEER!"
    "YOU SPENT $3g's ON THAT PIECE OF ART!"

The list could go on and on.

I have the same reaction with other peoples interests

"YOU SPENT $3g's ON A TV!"
    "YOU SPENT $300 ON A SOFTBALL BAT"
    "YOU SPENT $200 ON A DINNER"

mtbr member
    Sorta related, if a person of questionable intent asks me how much my bike cost, I tell him he can get one just like it from walmart for 150$.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IntensevCare View Post
    Sorta related, if a person of questionable intent asks me how much my bike cost, I tell him he can get one just like it from walmart for 150$.
    LOL I do the same. $100 bucks man. Got it at wally world.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

mtbr member
    Some have to learn the hard way.

"A smart person learns from their own mistakes, but a genius learns from others"
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    HAHA!! Excellent post.

In the end, bottom line is if he has fun with it, who cares. If he gets out and trail rides and starts having fun, he'll be hooked and will upgrade. Nothing's worse than a purchased bike that sits in a shed somewhere neglected. No matter how much or little is spent, if the bike sits, it is wasted money.

Your Best Friend
    If "Next" made cars, built to last 15,000 miles, got 10 miles per gallon and had 80 horsepower but were sold at Walmart for $2500 would people still buy them? You bet they would. They also wouldn't live long and unfortunately would take a few of us out with them.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Iko
    mtbr member
    My wife had a cow first time I told her I was thinking of spending over $2k on my first "real" bike. Took family and friends to convince her that I would get every penny and then some out of that beautiful machine. Now I have 3!

mtbr member
    I went to an outdoor expo with the wife last week and there was a booth from one of the local shops that had a FS Giant with a $2600 price tag. She was like "I can't believe someone would spend that on a bicycle'" as I'm silently choking adding up in my head what I"ve spent to build up my current rides. Sometimes ignorance is bliss (but only when it is in others!)

mtbr member
    Did he get the 29er at least?

mtbr member
    In the end, bottom line is if he has fun with it, who cares. If he gets out and trail rides and starts having fun, he'll be hooked and will upgrade. Nothing's worse than a purchased bike that sits in a shed somewhere neglected. No matter how much or little is spent, if the bike sits, it is wasted money.
    I agree, I have to say that I rode my POS next every decent day there was for five years until I got a real bike, just around town and light trail use mind you but she got the miles on it, I sold it to a kid I worked with who did the same for two years more that I know of.
    So if it does to him like it did me, and gets him more involved then yes, money well spent and for the sake of his health (getting pretty heavy high BP ect) I hope he does.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Did he get the 29er at least?
    Yes he did.

mtbr member
    So as it turns out it has stayed leaned up against the house lol.
    I adjusted the seat Height for him last week, I doubt it has moved since.
    His wife bought a FS next, which is interesting as I remember her telling me her Murry from before was just garbage. Stickers still on that as well.
    Keeping the Economy going I guess.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    Phone rings this morning and Im laying in bed, not sleeping, but a little stiff from last nights ride.
    I answer and hear an old friend who is about as Anti Peddling as you can get

"I got a Mtn bike"

I cough a couple times, tweek my jaw to pop my ears "say what"

"Yea, I got a Mtn bike"

I look around the room making sure IM awake, the mind is still a little muddled after last nights zombie dreams, maybe someone slipped some acid into my drinking water, things just are not right today. "Your shitting me, what did you get" I figured at the very least I could play the game a bit. I am a bit hopeful as he lives at the bottom of the continental divide trail system and Ive been trying to talk him into it for some time now.

"I got one of those there Mongoose from walmart"

I pause, my visions of riding the CDT trail with him vanish and are instantly replaced by flashing cherries on the top of an ambulance hauling him away after his handlebars stripped. "take it back" I reply

he ignores me "Yea the guy I work with has a mountain bike too, anyhow he said to make sure I get one with disk brakes, those are the best right?"

Oh yea, IM still in my zombie dream obviously "uhm for the type of rides you will be doing with that bike it wont make a difference as you cannot seriously downhill on that thing anyhow, take it back and go to the LBS and pick yourself up a real bike for 400 dollars or less that will last you and not break your neck"

"I spent two hundred dollars" he replies "Im not gonna spend another 200"
    Me " I have peddles that were 110 dollars......."

"YOU PAID ONE HUNDRED AND TEN DOLLARS OR PEDALS!!"

Ok trying to think thru this "yes but I hvae cheaper ones which were 45"
    "FOURTY FIVE DOLLARS ON A CHEAP ****ING PEDAL"

So Im thinking at this point I dont have to worry about him having a heartattack while riding, he's already in stroke mode, and I try to steer him back to the bike "Look if you at least go test ride one at the LBS they will fit you to one, and you will be able to tell the difference even peddling around the parking lot, not to mention it will actually shift"
    So anyhow the conversation continues from there on how crazy I am and how he will never get into it like I am, and that may be true, but he certainly IMO deserves a good bike to ride those kick ass trails next to his house by at least Eliminating the breaking factor.
    Sigh, wut to do, I guess I know what he's thinking, I was the same way when I bought my wallyworld bike thinking that would be all I ever needed, so I added "You know I said the same thing with my walparts bike, but once I got a good one it took me to places I never dreamed of and the weight fell off"
    That settled that conversation at least for now, hopefully I can convert him to a quality one, god knows he makes enough to afford it.

Take him for a ride and have a good time.

Just a flesh wound

Which Economy?

Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    So as it turns out it has stayed leaned up against the house lol.
    I adjusted the seat Height for him last week, I doubt it has moved since.
    His wife bought a FS next, which is interesting as I remember her telling me her Murry from before was just garbage. Stickers still on that as well.
    Keeping the Economy going I guess.
    I'll guess they are all made in China.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Awesome post.
    Reminds me of when I worked in a LBS in the barrio of Oxnard, CA as a teenager, and my boss would go to the Walmart and buy up all of the MGX's that came back, bring back a pickup load of these bike to the shop, and would make them run by replacing the pedals, grips, whatever and resell them as new/used. All because people return their bike becasue the brake rubs or the gears don't work. Amazing..
    It would be awesome to be able to take any of my bikes back and tell the shop "my brakes rub" and get a new one like people do at Walmart.

OP, I feel for you man.. Nothing better than a new friend to ride with and show the ropes, but nothing worse than knowing that person just wont get it.. And by "it", I mean the stoke of solitude on a bike at the top, and the thrill of all things dirt on two wheels.

Peace-
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    If a friend of mine calls and are all excited about buying a bike, I'll set up a play date and go ride with him no matter how crappy a bike he has bought.

I might say "Listen, s $200 bike is just too cheap, it's like a disposable lighter, it'll break on you and you will have a hard time getting it fixed. You're better off spending $400 on a LBS bike and I'll help you pick a good one if you want". Other than that I'd just enjoy his excitement and get him out riding as soon as possible.

I'd do my very best to get him smitten by the bike bug and he'll get a better bike soon enough on his own. I'd go ride with him as often as possible, even if it meant slowing down and picking easier stuff than normal, the important bit is getting him hooked, so I'd go out and get sweaty and muddy and chuck down a cold one sitting on the tailgate after the ride, listening to him telling me how awesome it was.

Just Ride
    he was planning to DH on a big box bike? Oh lord. Have the paramedics on stand buy at the bottom of the hill so they can scrape him up when he lands there without his bike...
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Tactical Nightmare
    Excellent post OP! Love your style!

I used to be very in RC cars....hobby quality, $500+, 60mph, electric (lipo) powered, 12lb monster trucks. The kind that would break a leg if it got out of control and hit someone. Anytime I was at a park driving it, adults and kids alike would flock around. The comments that I always got and loved, similar to the theme here were:

"My brother has one like that. He got it at WalMart and it is faster than yours"
    "Can I drive it"
    "That thing sucks man. Why is it so slow? Mine's faster than that."
    "Oh, I saw that at Radio Shack the other day. Sweet!"
    "How much was that? Over $500! How lame. Toys R Us had one for $79.99!"

No, just no. There are differences in all levels of any hobby. Some people just don't get it. The hope here for you OP, is that he tries it, and likes it enough despite the bike he is on, and maybe he will come out the other end "getting it". He may turn into your next riding partner on those killer trails!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Funny post!

I just bought a walmart bike, not planning on doing any serious off roading but I'm sure it is plenty competent. I got a genesis v2100, full suspension 26" with front disc and nice shifters for $128 (the guy gave me 20% off because there was "rust" on the bolts lol.

You guys speak as if the brakes won't stop it and the pedals won't move it forward LOL. As long as you have some mechanical knowledge, you can keep a cheap bike running forever. Like Guerdonian said, not everyone is going to be at the same hobby level as you. If everybody only had the option of $400+ bike or nothing, I'm sure quite a few would choose nothing, myself included (at this point)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Walmart bikes are a gateway drug to the big bucks bikes.

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    Walmart bikes are a gateway drug to the big bucks bikes.
    Or, because they are such peices of crap one decides that mtn biking is a bad thing to do. As in: I hate riding bikes, they are heavy, slow, hard to brake and it is basically an unpleasant experience.

Friends don't let friends buy bikes from Walmart.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

No good Funny People

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    Or, because they are such peices of crap one decides that mtn biking is a bad thing to do. As in: I hate riding bikes, they are heavy, slow, hard to brake and it is basically an unpleasant experience.

Friends don't let friends buy bikes from Walmart.
    Perhaps one that is not logical would decide that.

Wow, I'm getting a kick out of this forum.

Sure, walmart is not top quality but to say it is junk "because the shifters need occasional adjusting" or "the brakes need adjusting" or because it is 5-10lbs heavier is just a joke. Go on a cruise and you will come back 5-10lbs heavier.

If you plan on raping your bike on extreme trails and don't want to or know how to fix or adjust things then sure. But consider this: I am not beating my bike to death and have about 200miles on my walmart bike (surprise of surprises has not fallen apart or otherwise let me down) which I bought with a bike for my wife, a better seat, a trailer for our son, a helmet for him and an air pump for probably less than half of what you spent for your bike alone. I know how to adjust and repair a bike, I don't mind too much.

I can understand that you appreciate the quality of top components, but please save all the BS.

mtbr member
    Going mountain biking on a Wal-Mart bike is like playing golf with a hammer.

I'd rather be on my bike
    A bike that is 5-10 lbs heavier is a huge difference! I couldn't imagine what my bike would be if I could drop 10 lbs. from it.

I am sure that your bike is fine, but unfortunately, the quality of the components that come on a $200 bike from Wal-Mart just don't compare to a bike that is priced higher.

The more I ride, the more I realized that the lower end components just won't cut it. I test rode a friends bike that had low end SRAM X4 on it. The difference between that and even X7/X9/X0 is very noticeable, though might not be to all people.

I would not let a friend of mine buy a bike from Wal-Mart. In fact, a friend of mine wanted a bike, and had a budget of $200. I searched high and low on Craigslist and my local forum, and managed to get her a decent Giant from 2006. It's not the best bike in the world, however, the components of the bike, and the weight are far superior to anything in that price range at Wal-Mart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBlazr88 View Post
    Sure, walmart is not top quality but to say it is junk "because the shifters need occasional adjusting" or "the brakes need adjusting" or because it is 5-10lbs heavier is just a joke. Go on a cruise and you will come back 5-10lbs heavier.

If you plan on raping your bike on extreme trails and don't want to or know how to fix or adjust things then sure. But consider this: I am not beating my bike to death and have about 200miles on my walmart bike (surprise of surprises has not fallen apart or otherwise let me down) which I bought with a bike for my wife, a better seat, a trailer for our son, a helmet for him and an air pump for probably less than half of what you spent for your bike alone. I know how to adjust and repair a bike, I don't mind too much.

I can understand that you appreciate the quality of top components, but please save all the BS.
    +1 this. I have a Wal-Schwinn that I bought about 18 months ago. That bike helped me lose @ 100 pounds and after having that much fun riding and commuting, convinced me to buy a "real" bike so I could ride trails and not just MUP paths. Sure I've already spent three times as much upgrading all the parts as I paid in the first place for it, but I still ride it and have fun on it. Even better is when other riders see it and ask "Don't they sell those at Walmart?" and I reply " Yeah, so what?".
    I get the idea of the O.P.'s story and agree the proper tool for the proper job ( and yes a so called "FS" bike from Walmart isn't the proper tool for anything other than MUP paths), but don't condemn all bikes sold at big box stores just because some are crap. Pedaling that 40 pound hybrid bike on the pavement got me strong and fit enough to pedal my 28 pound mountain bike on the single track without having a coronary, but with a big, happy grin. That's worth $250 in my book.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast