Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 61
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,335

    The dreaded phone call

    Phone rings this morning and Im laying in bed, not sleeping, but a little stiff from last nights ride.
    I answer and hear an old friend who is about as Anti Peddling as you can get

    "I got a Mtn bike"

    I cough a couple times, tweek my jaw to pop my ears "say what"

    "Yea, I got a Mtn bike"

    I look around the room making sure IM awake, the mind is still a little muddled after last nights zombie dreams, maybe someone slipped some acid into my drinking water, things just are not right today. "Your shitting me, what did you get" I figured at the very least I could play the game a bit. I am a bit hopeful as he lives at the bottom of the continental divide trail system and Ive been trying to talk him into it for some time now.

    "I got one of those there Mongoose from walmart"

    I pause, my visions of riding the CDT trail with him vanish and are instantly replaced by flashing cherries on the top of an ambulance hauling him away after his handlebars stripped. "take it back" I reply

    he ignores me "Yea the guy I work with has a mountain bike too, anyhow he said to make sure I get one with disk brakes, those are the best right?"

    Oh yea, IM still in my zombie dream obviously "uhm for the type of rides you will be doing with that bike it wont make a difference as you cannot seriously downhill on that thing anyhow, take it back and go to the LBS and pick yourself up a real bike for 400 dollars or less that will last you and not break your neck"

    "I spent two hundred dollars" he replies "Im not gonna spend another 200"
    Me " I have peddles that were 110 dollars......."

    "YOU PAID ONE HUNDRED AND TEN DOLLARS OR PEDALS!!"

    Ok trying to think thru this "yes but I hvae cheaper ones which were 45"
    "FOURTY FIVE DOLLARS ON A CHEAP ****ING PEDAL"

    So Im thinking at this point I dont have to worry about him having a heartattack while riding, he's already in stroke mode, and I try to steer him back to the bike "Look if you at least go test ride one at the LBS they will fit you to one, and you will be able to tell the difference even peddling around the parking lot, not to mention it will actually shift"
    So anyhow the conversation continues from there on how crazy I am and how he will never get into it like I am, and that may be true, but he certainly IMO deserves a good bike to ride those kick ass trails next to his house by at least Eliminating the breaking factor.
    Sigh, wut to do, I guess I know what he's thinking, I was the same way when I bought my wallyworld bike thinking that would be all I ever needed, so I added "You know I said the same thing with my walparts bike, but once I got a good one it took me to places I never dreamed of and the weight fell off"
    That settled that conversation at least for now, hopefully I can convert him to a quality one, god knows he makes enough to afford it.

  2. #2
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,085
    HAHA Classic

    Seems like that reaction is common when you get into the upper reagons of a hobby:

    "YOU SPENT $110 ON PEDALS!"
    "YOU SPENT $40 ON A BEER!"
    "YOU SPENT $3g's ON THAT PIECE OF ART!"

    The list could go on and on.

    I have the same reaction with other peoples interests

    "YOU SPENT $3g's ON A TV!"
    "YOU SPENT $300 ON A SOFTBALL BAT"
    "YOU SPENT $200 ON A DINNER"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IntensevCare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    205
    Sorta related, if a person of questionable intent asks me how much my bike cost, I tell him he can get one just like it from walmart for 150$.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by IntensevCare View Post
    Sorta related, if a person of questionable intent asks me how much my bike cost, I tell him he can get one just like it from walmart for 150$.
    LOL I do the same. $100 bucks man. Got it at wally world.
    15 Yeti ASR-c
    14 Yeti ARC
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal
    15 Roubaix S-Works

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,445
    Some have to learn the hard way.

    "A smart person learns from their own mistakes, but a genius learns from others"
    Round and round we go

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,739
    HAHA!! Excellent post.

    In the end, bottom line is if he has fun with it, who cares. If he gets out and trail rides and starts having fun, he'll be hooked and will upgrade. Nothing's worse than a purchased bike that sits in a shed somewhere neglected. No matter how much or little is spent, if the bike sits, it is wasted money.

  7. #7
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,720
    If "Next" made cars, built to last 15,000 miles, got 10 miles per gallon and had 80 horsepower but were sold at Walmart for $2500 would people still buy them? You bet they would. They also wouldn't live long and unfortunately would take a few of us out with them.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

  8. #8
    Iko
    Iko is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Iko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    146
    My wife had a cow first time I told her I was thinking of spending over $2k on my first "real" bike. Took family and friends to convince her that I would get every penny and then some out of that beautiful machine. Now I have 3!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SeaBass_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,011
    I went to an outdoor expo with the wife last week and there was a booth from one of the local shops that had a FS Giant with a $2600 price tag. She was like "I can't believe someone would spend that on a bicycle'" as I'm silently choking adding up in my head what I"ve spent to build up my current rides. Sometimes ignorance is bliss (but only when it is in others!)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SeaBass_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,011
    Did he get the 29er at least?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,335
    In the end, bottom line is if he has fun with it, who cares. If he gets out and trail rides and starts having fun, he'll be hooked and will upgrade. Nothing's worse than a purchased bike that sits in a shed somewhere neglected. No matter how much or little is spent, if the bike sits, it is wasted money.
    I agree, I have to say that I rode my POS next every decent day there was for five years until I got a real bike, just around town and light trail use mind you but she got the miles on it, I sold it to a kid I worked with who did the same for two years more that I know of.
    So if it does to him like it did me, and gets him more involved then yes, money well spent and for the sake of his health (getting pretty heavy high BP ect) I hope he does.



    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Did he get the 29er at least?
    Yes he did.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,335
    So as it turns out it has stayed leaned up against the house lol.
    I adjusted the seat Height for him last week, I doubt it has moved since.
    His wife bought a FS next, which is interesting as I remember her telling me her Murry from before was just garbage. Stickers still on that as well.
    Keeping the Economy going I guess.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    Phone rings this morning and Im laying in bed, not sleeping, but a little stiff from last nights ride.
    I answer and hear an old friend who is about as Anti Peddling as you can get

    "I got a Mtn bike"

    I cough a couple times, tweek my jaw to pop my ears "say what"

    "Yea, I got a Mtn bike"

    I look around the room making sure IM awake, the mind is still a little muddled after last nights zombie dreams, maybe someone slipped some acid into my drinking water, things just are not right today. "Your shitting me, what did you get" I figured at the very least I could play the game a bit. I am a bit hopeful as he lives at the bottom of the continental divide trail system and Ive been trying to talk him into it for some time now.

    "I got one of those there Mongoose from walmart"

    I pause, my visions of riding the CDT trail with him vanish and are instantly replaced by flashing cherries on the top of an ambulance hauling him away after his handlebars stripped. "take it back" I reply

    he ignores me "Yea the guy I work with has a mountain bike too, anyhow he said to make sure I get one with disk brakes, those are the best right?"

    Oh yea, IM still in my zombie dream obviously "uhm for the type of rides you will be doing with that bike it wont make a difference as you cannot seriously downhill on that thing anyhow, take it back and go to the LBS and pick yourself up a real bike for 400 dollars or less that will last you and not break your neck"

    "I spent two hundred dollars" he replies "Im not gonna spend another 200"
    Me " I have peddles that were 110 dollars......."

    "YOU PAID ONE HUNDRED AND TEN DOLLARS OR PEDALS!!"

    Ok trying to think thru this "yes but I hvae cheaper ones which were 45"
    "FOURTY FIVE DOLLARS ON A CHEAP ****ING PEDAL"

    So Im thinking at this point I dont have to worry about him having a heartattack while riding, he's already in stroke mode, and I try to steer him back to the bike "Look if you at least go test ride one at the LBS they will fit you to one, and you will be able to tell the difference even peddling around the parking lot, not to mention it will actually shift"
    So anyhow the conversation continues from there on how crazy I am and how he will never get into it like I am, and that may be true, but he certainly IMO deserves a good bike to ride those kick ass trails next to his house by at least Eliminating the breaking factor.
    Sigh, wut to do, I guess I know what he's thinking, I was the same way when I bought my wallyworld bike thinking that would be all I ever needed, so I added "You know I said the same thing with my walparts bike, but once I got a good one it took me to places I never dreamed of and the weight fell off"
    That settled that conversation at least for now, hopefully I can convert him to a quality one, god knows he makes enough to afford it.

    Take him for a ride and have a good time.

  14. #14
    Just a flesh wound
    Reputation: Prophet Julio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,938

    Which Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    So as it turns out it has stayed leaned up against the house lol.
    I adjusted the seat Height for him last week, I doubt it has moved since.
    His wife bought a FS next, which is interesting as I remember her telling me her Murry from before was just garbage. Stickers still on that as well.
    Keeping the Economy going I guess.
    I'll guess they are all made in China.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    895
    Awesome post.
    Reminds me of when I worked in a LBS in the barrio of Oxnard, CA as a teenager, and my boss would go to the Walmart and buy up all of the MGX's that came back, bring back a pickup load of these bike to the shop, and would make them run by replacing the pedals, grips, whatever and resell them as new/used. All because people return their bike becasue the brake rubs or the gears don't work. Amazing..
    It would be awesome to be able to take any of my bikes back and tell the shop "my brakes rub" and get a new one like people do at Walmart.

    OP, I feel for you man.. Nothing better than a new friend to ride with and show the ropes, but nothing worse than knowing that person just wont get it.. And by "it", I mean the stoke of solitude on a bike at the top, and the thrill of all things dirt on two wheels.

    Peace-

  16. #16
    Clyde on a mission!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    719
    If a friend of mine calls and are all excited about buying a bike, I'll set up a play date and go ride with him no matter how crappy a bike he has bought.

    I might say "Listen, s $200 bike is just too cheap, it's like a disposable lighter, it'll break on you and you will have a hard time getting it fixed. You're better off spending $400 on a LBS bike and I'll help you pick a good one if you want". Other than that I'd just enjoy his excitement and get him out riding as soon as possible.

    I'd do my very best to get him smitten by the bike bug and he'll get a better bike soon enough on his own. I'd go ride with him as often as possible, even if it meant slowing down and picking easier stuff than normal, the important bit is getting him hooked, so I'd go out and get sweaty and muddy and chuck down a cold one sitting on the tailgate after the ride, listening to him telling me how awesome it was.

  17. #17
    Just Ride
    Reputation: Cormac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,739
    he was planning to DH on a big box bike? Oh lord. Have the paramedics on stand buy at the bottom of the hill so they can scrape him up when he lands there without his bike...
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

  18. #18
    Good, green, Oregon.
    Reputation: Giant Chachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    784
    Excellent post OP! Love your style!

    I used to be very in RC cars....hobby quality, $500+, 60mph, electric (lipo) powered, 12lb monster trucks. The kind that would break a leg if it got out of control and hit someone. Anytime I was at a park driving it, adults and kids alike would flock around. The comments that I always got and loved, similar to the theme here were:

    "My brother has one like that. He got it at WalMart and it is faster than yours"
    "Can I drive it"
    "That thing sucks man. Why is it so slow? Mine's faster than that."
    "Oh, I saw that at Radio Shack the other day. Sweet!"
    "How much was that? Over $500! How lame. Toys R Us had one for $79.99!"

    No, just no. There are differences in all levels of any hobby. Some people just don't get it. The hope here for you OP, is that he tries it, and likes it enough despite the bike he is on, and maybe he will come out the other end "getting it". He may turn into your next riding partner on those killer trails!
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    Funny post!

    I just bought a walmart bike, not planning on doing any serious off roading but I'm sure it is plenty competent. I got a genesis v2100, full suspension 26" with front disc and nice shifters for $128 (the guy gave me 20% off because there was "rust" on the bolts lol.

    You guys speak as if the brakes won't stop it and the pedals won't move it forward LOL. As long as you have some mechanical knowledge, you can keep a cheap bike running forever. Like Guerdonian said, not everyone is going to be at the same hobby level as you. If everybody only had the option of $400+ bike or nothing, I'm sure quite a few would choose nothing, myself included (at this point)

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheMachinist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,210
    Walmart bikes are a gateway drug to the big bucks bikes.

  21. #21
    I like pie.
    Reputation: Mr5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    Walmart bikes are a gateway drug to the big bucks bikes.
    Or, because they are such peices of crap one decides that mtn biking is a bad thing to do. As in: I hate riding bikes, they are heavy, slow, hard to brake and it is basically an unpleasant experience.

    Friends don't let friends buy bikes from Walmart.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8

    No good Funny People

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    Or, because they are such peices of crap one decides that mtn biking is a bad thing to do. As in: I hate riding bikes, they are heavy, slow, hard to brake and it is basically an unpleasant experience.

    Friends don't let friends buy bikes from Walmart.
    Perhaps one that is not logical would decide that.

    Wow, I'm getting a kick out of this forum.

    Sure, walmart is not top quality but to say it is junk "because the shifters need occasional adjusting" or "the brakes need adjusting" or because it is 5-10lbs heavier is just a joke. Go on a cruise and you will come back 5-10lbs heavier.

    If you plan on raping your bike on extreme trails and don't want to or know how to fix or adjust things then sure. But consider this: I am not beating my bike to death and have about 200miles on my walmart bike (surprise of surprises has not fallen apart or otherwise let me down) which I bought with a bike for my wife, a better seat, a trailer for our son, a helmet for him and an air pump for probably less than half of what you spent for your bike alone. I know how to adjust and repair a bike, I don't mind too much.

    I can understand that you appreciate the quality of top components, but please save all the BS.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cackalacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    690
    Going mountain biking on a Wal-Mart bike is like playing golf with a hammer.

  24. #24
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,568
    A bike that is 5-10 lbs heavier is a huge difference! I couldn't imagine what my bike would be if I could drop 10 lbs. from it.

    I am sure that your bike is fine, but unfortunately, the quality of the components that come on a $200 bike from Wal-Mart just don't compare to a bike that is priced higher.

    The more I ride, the more I realized that the lower end components just won't cut it. I test rode a friends bike that had low end SRAM X4 on it. The difference between that and even X7/X9/X0 is very noticeable, though might not be to all people.

    I would not let a friend of mine buy a bike from Wal-Mart. In fact, a friend of mine wanted a bike, and had a budget of $200. I searched high and low on Craigslist and my local forum, and managed to get her a decent Giant from 2006. It's not the best bike in the world, however, the components of the bike, and the weight are far superior to anything in that price range at Wal-Mart.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: junior1210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,001
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBlazr88 View Post
    Sure, walmart is not top quality but to say it is junk "because the shifters need occasional adjusting" or "the brakes need adjusting" or because it is 5-10lbs heavier is just a joke. Go on a cruise and you will come back 5-10lbs heavier.

    If you plan on raping your bike on extreme trails and don't want to or know how to fix or adjust things then sure. But consider this: I am not beating my bike to death and have about 200miles on my walmart bike (surprise of surprises has not fallen apart or otherwise let me down) which I bought with a bike for my wife, a better seat, a trailer for our son, a helmet for him and an air pump for probably less than half of what you spent for your bike alone. I know how to adjust and repair a bike, I don't mind too much.

    I can understand that you appreciate the quality of top components, but please save all the BS.
    +1 this. I have a Wal-Schwinn that I bought about 18 months ago. That bike helped me lose @ 100 pounds and after having that much fun riding and commuting, convinced me to buy a "real" bike so I could ride trails and not just MUP paths. Sure I've already spent three times as much upgrading all the parts as I paid in the first place for it, but I still ride it and have fun on it. Even better is when other riders see it and ask "Don't they sell those at Walmart?" and I reply " Yeah, so what?".
    I get the idea of the O.P.'s story and agree the proper tool for the proper job ( and yes a so called "FS" bike from Walmart isn't the proper tool for anything other than MUP paths), but don't condemn all bikes sold at big box stores just because some are crap. Pedaling that 40 pound hybrid bike on the pavement got me strong and fit enough to pedal my 28 pound mountain bike on the single track without having a coronary, but with a big, happy grin. That's worth $250 in my book.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    742
    I have a 2010 turner 5 spot, but when it was in the bike shop for a few dys I bought a walmart 29er.

    I put over a hundred miles in several weeks and yes I had to adjust the rear brake almost every ride, but it did what I needed to do at the time.

    got me in the dirt on two wheels and a smile on my face
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,335
    I called last night and tried to get my friend to go today.
    "You rode that thing at all yet?"
    "Yea I made it to the end of the driveway"
    He has a long driveway so IM not sure that ment he had to push it back or not
    So I pondered, "how about we go tomorrow, I got a sweet spot picked out"
    Long Silence
    Still silence
    so I asked "you there"
    He answered "yea IM here, look man IM not going on any of those freaky stupid rides up to the top of a mountain you do"
    I thought back and remembered saying the same **** to my friends when I got my NEXT, I replied "No man, its at such and such, nice rolling small hills for you to huff up and your kid to play on"
    he was nervous obviously "Yea I know it, ok call me early and I'll go"
    I called a couple times today and he didnt answer, so I took a decent ride this evening to the top of one of those stupid Mtns and had a great time with one of my usual riding buddies.


    I can completely relate to him, I initially had bought a NEXT just to lose weight, I have no Idea how many miles I put on that thing but I rode it every single day all summer long around town for five years.
    It shifted like crap, took a block to stop ect, I did take it in a couple times to get it tuned which helped.
    When my friend called it reminded me of how my serious MTN bike friends felt, and our conversation was pretty much Identical I suspect.
    But like any hobby its hard to Imagine that all the money really is worth it, and usually it is.
    Once I rode a real mtn bike I could barely stand to get on that thing, but it is better than nothing and it was my gateway drug.
    The components sucked, I bent a rear axle dropping off a curb lol, that is how I got it tuned to begin with, the local LBS is a stand up buy and talked me into a full tune up.
    I Stripped the handlebars going over a curb, quality at its best.
    But considering during that time riding five miles on pavement did me in it was just fine for what I was doing.
    I didnt shed any real weight until I started getting into serious biking though, but IM sure the extra ten pounds and horrible rear suspension gave me a little extra endurance to be able to keep up with some of my friends who had been riding for longer.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    770
    My gf wanted to try mnt biking and was all excited so we went to Wally world and got her a small ht 26 with discs for $180 with a 2yr warranty. All my bike are xL so she couldn't borrJust bought it gotta wait 7months to take home suppressor but at anytime we can go to shoot straight and shoot it ow one lol. Later that week we rode a local paved trail with minimal elevation changes and she enjoyed the 2mi ride. And she thought what I did must be the same. I took her that Saturday and we rode for 2hrs covered only 7mi she hated it and the bike has hung in the garage for the last 6months now

    So I'm very glad I bought her a cheap bike to find out she didn't like it.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,762
    i was dating this girl a few summers ago, and she had a huffy. her sport is mountain climbing. ice climbing to be specific, in russia. she used to mtb there some, and she wanted to get into it again here. so i figure, wow... finally... the girl of my dreams. climbs icy ****ing mountains, good in bed... weird accent. it doesn't get any better than that. so anyways, she brings a pacific something stupid to my house one day. she says, in her weird but cute accent, i want to race you. i just look at it, and i don't even know what to say. she's like so hyped up about it, so i'm like eh whatever. so there's a few trails by my house and we go up there... by the time we got out of the woods she had a broken pedal, half a dozen spokes were rattling around lose from the rim, and both cogs on the derailer were stripped and the plastic teeth were melted and ground down to dust.so yeah... took the bike back and got her a used female gt off craigslist dirt cheap. it was pink she loved it.

  30. #30
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,118
    I wanted to get wifey in to biking, and she had never ridden a bike before.

    Went to my LBS and picked up one of their cheap bikes for £80.
    It was a good training bike for her, she took a lot of convincing but after a year I upgraded her to an outrageously expensive (in her eyes) £360 ht. She loved it, light fast and nimble, suddenly she had been shown that money makes the difference.
    Fast forward a few years we have a fun wife who is taking guys on black downhills on an upgraded teocali elite and is saving up for a carbon camber.

    You have to start somewhere, but I would prefer to buy a **** bike from my LBS that wallmart, at least you know it has been set up correctly!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,762
    i'm currently looking for a cheap bike on craigslist for my current gf. she rides one of my old ones, its an old trek but she's 5'2 and its a smaller 18" frame. i'd let her ride my 16" but hell no haha.. she's so into it though. she actually wakes me up on the weekends and begs me to go with her. its kinda badass.

  32. #32
    Clyde on a mission!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    Or, because they are such peices of crap one decides that mtn biking is a bad thing to do. As in: I hate riding bikes, they are heavy, slow, hard to brake and it is basically an unpleasant experience.
    You go riding with your friend and once he starts complaining that mountainbiking isn't for him, you lend him your nice spare bike or even your really nice main rig. If he starts liking it, you say "Well I told you that wally bike was a heavy piece of luggage, good thing you didn't waste too much money on it - lets find you something good at the LBS or Craigslist". On the other hand, if he still thinks biking sucks balls on your rig, then maybe biking isn't his thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy bikes from Walmart.
    Some friends don't listen to advise and has to make their own mistakes first.

  33. #33
    Clyde on a mission!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    Later that week we rode a local paved trail with minimal elevation changes and she enjoyed the 2mi ride. And she thought what I did must be the same. I took her that Saturday and we rode for 2hrs covered only 7mi she hated it and the bike has hung in the garage for the last 6months now

    So I'm very glad I bought her a cheap bike to find out she didn't like it.
    You took her on a 2 hour ride the second time she was out riding? No wonder she hated it.

    I can't stress this enough, when new to any sport, start out easy and add tiny increments each time. It allows your body to adjust and keeps it "easy" and fun. Taking your wife on a 2 hour ride as a complete beginner just makes sure her ass hurt like hell from the saddle and that every other muscle in her body is sore for days, no wonder she gets cranky and insists on never going through that hell again.

  34. #34
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,118
    "I can't stress this enough, when new to any sport, start out easy and add tiny increments each time. It allows your body to adjust and keeps it "easy" and fun. Taking your wife on a 2 hour ride as a complete beginner just makes sure her ass hurt like hell from the saddle and that every other muscle in her body is sore for days, no wonder she gets cranky and insists on never going through that hell again."

    With you on that one. My first few wifey rides were riding to somewhere she wanted to go, like a stately home or a cake shop or a picnic.
    She wasn't happy on the first few rides and only went on one every few months.
    Process is VERY slow.

    She just signed up to the first 24hr race (and put me in to it too =-( )

    So takes a few years, but time well invested!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DeoreDX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    19
    I've wrenched on many a Big Box store bike. After getting them set up they perform alright, can't realy say they shift or stop and better or worse then a $300-400 "name brand" LBS bike. Most of the time they are a little more of a PITA to set up, and they do need quite a bit of wrench time to get everything tight and adjusted. Fit and finish will not be up to par, and they will wight quite a bit more. But I never say one I considered unsafe. Heck I feel safer on some of those then some of the Lightspeeds and Merlins I've seen crack frames going over simple washouts. They way I see it is as long as someone wants to ride a two wheeled pedal powered object I won't disparage their choice. I just want to make their bike as safe as possible and perform as well as possible because I'll never help make another life long cyclist if they don't enjoy their experience.
    -DeoreDX

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    He answered "yea IM here, look man IM not going on any of those freaky stupid rides up to the top of a mountain you do"
    Classic. I love it.

  37. #37
    Clyde on a mission!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    So takes a few years, but time well invested!
    I know that drill.. My aunt and uncle started out taking a 10 minute walk before dinner just to build up an appetite.. Expanded it to 12 minutes, then 15 minutes and so on, just an easy stroll around the neighborhood. Before long they were up to a daily hour of walking, still nothing strenuous, just enjoying some fresh air, building up an appetite and using it as an easy way to stay fit. Worked like a charm. They simply worked the walk into their daily schedule rather than reading the paper before dinner or whatever they used to do.

    If they had started out aiming for a full hour every day right from the get go, I'm pretty sure they would soon have dropped the idea because it took up too much time or something.

    A common excuse my friends use is "Oh, I can't rip out an hour of my day to go riding, I have work and family obligations and what not". My answer is "Well, can you find 10 minutes a day for a short run/walk/ride?". Once the say yes, I ask them "Do you think you can find 12 minutes a day next week and 13 minutes a day the week after that?". It's easy and no biggie as long as it's slowly worked into a daily routine.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    229
    We have a saying in windsurfing....."the one having the most fun wins"..
    Doesn't matter how nice the kit is, or how much you paid for it...

    It you're having fun.....you're winning.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    friend of mine figured that because walmart would replace the bike if he broke it he was going to have a great new full suspension mtb so he asked to come along on my next ride and i said sure ofcause.we started out going down a steep rocky grade and at first i didnt understand why he stopped at the bottom so i turned around ad found out his r.derailer had fallen apart so we went to walmart and got a new bike for free and still had time to make it back to the trail and do a bit of riding.less than 10 min. into the trail curtis was stopped again so i turned around and found that the bolt on the r.suspension pivot had come loose and bend and his rear wheel was sitting at a crazt angle to the rest of the bike.this time he went back to walmart on his own.later that evening i got a call from the hospital from curtis,his third bike of the day seemed to be holding out ok so he jumped it of a 1 foot ledge and the front forks broke when he landed and he broke his wrist.
    curtis took the bike back to walmart and got his money back and has not been on a bicycle since.
    i think its a shame and i know that he would have enjoyed riding if he would have had a decent bike to begin with.
    i will discourage anyone from taking a $150 bike on a trail even if it has a money back guarantee.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,335
    You know those do have a sticker on them saying not for off road use?

  41. #41
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,261
    I love this thread!
    That is all for now.
    Front Range, Colorado.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    i saw that sticker but my buddy saw the word "downhill" printed in much bigger letters somewhere else on the bike,i know that was maybe the model name or something.
    if you want to introduce someone to trail riding its best to do so on a bike that was meant for that.if you get someone out on the trail and they dont enjoy themselves or worse yet injure themselves then they may never want to try again.
    now if i want to hang with curtis i have to meet him either at the golf course or the bar.

  43. #43
    Zero Miles from Myself
    Reputation: mrm1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    800
    To the OP ... Very Funny.

    I just finished a race with a "hard-headed" friend of mine who I'd been road riding with and lending my Giant Trance for Mt Biking. He Bought a 29er ... from Wal Mart for the race Never asked my opinion, just showed up with it one day. We hit a 3' shelf drop on our last outing that caused him to eat sand. LoL. Crash was due to the bike. Chain bent in ways I have never seen a chain bend. Lucky he was not hurt like the post above.

    Statistics and Studies have shown that the highest dollar amount the average consumer will believe you paid for your bike without thinking you are a total idiot is $400 ... no matter what you paid for it. Say less than $400 and they don't believe it ... but If you say, "$400" they look at you like, "yeah that's about right". I tried it with a couple guys I ran into while road riding on my carbon bike. They picked it up (comparing it to their Walmart GMC or Durango or whatever it was). "Man that is light!! I need to get me one of those". I just said that would be a good idea.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,335
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    It ended up being 2 hours not because it was in any way hard. It was the multi-use trail. The trail you use to get to the real trails. The wide, super easy to pedal my 7yo brother rides it trail. It took us 2 hours to ride it because we made it 3miles and she basicly gave up and started walking.There was nothing I could do to get her to ride again.

    And this is a girl who rides a road bike for probably 100+ miles a week. She just got sketched out somehow and would not get back on it.
    If its to much its to much for someone, 3 miles is a long way for someone who has only ridden once before.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    You took her on a 2 hour ride the second time she was out riding? No wonder she hated it.

    I can't stress this enough, when new to any sport, start out easy and add tiny increments each time. It allows your body to adjust and keeps it "easy" and fun. Taking your wife on a 2 hour ride as a complete beginner just makes sure her ass hurt like hell from the saddle and that every other muscle in her body is sore for days, no wonder she gets cranky and insists on never going through that hell again.
    It ended up being 2 hours not because it was in any way hard. It was the multi-use trail. The trail you use to get to the real trails. The wide, super easy to pedal my 7yo brother rides it trail. It took us 2 hours to ride it because we made it 3miles and she basicly gave up and started walking.There was nothing I could do to get her to ride again.

    And this is a girl who rides a road bike for probably 100+ miles a week. She just got sketched out somehow and would not get back on it. So now it sits in my garage and she still rides her road bike every day.

  46. #46
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,568
    Took my friend who bought a $200 used Giant out on a trail ride yesterday, with some more advanced features. She rode everything that was thrown at her, and had an absolute blast. While we were heading back to the parking lot, I mentioned to her that this is why I wouldn't let her get a bike from Wal-Mart or Target. She quickly realized that she made a much better purchase going used over something from one of those stores.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    i was dating this girl a few summers ago, and she had a huffy. her sport is mountain climbing. ice climbing to be specific, in russia. she used to mtb there some, and she wanted to get into it again here. so i figure, wow... finally... the girl of my dreams. climbs icy ****ing mountains, good in bed... weird accent. it doesn't get any better than that. so anyways, she brings a pacific something stupid to my house one day. she says, in her weird but cute accent, i want to race you. i just look at it, and i don't even know what to say. she's like so hyped up about it, so i'm like eh whatever. so there's a few trails by my house and we go up there... by the time we got out of the woods she had a broken pedal, half a dozen spokes were rattling around lose from the rim, and both cogs on the derailer were stripped and the plastic teeth were melted and ground down to dust.so yeah... took the bike back and got her a used female gt off craigslist dirt cheap. it was pink she loved it.
    You told us all about the crappy bike...but you didn't say if she actually beat you or not...you hidin' something?

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    460
    Blurr - funny story. I look forward to hearing the future posts as you try to get your buddy more into riding.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    37
    Why not have them rent a real bike instead of dropping a few hundred bucks, here its roughly $25 a day. It would only take one or two rides for them to realize whether its for them or not. If the bug bites them you won't have any trouble convincing them not to buy a wallyworld bike.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutgyr View Post
    Why not have them rent a real bike instead of dropping a few hundred bucks, here its roughly $25 a day. It would only take one or two rides for them to realize whether its for them or not. If the bug bites them you won't have any trouble convincing them not to buy a wallyworld bike.
    Rentals are not available in my area, however you can take a bike on a test ride, which I suggested and of course that would have made to much sense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •